Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Non-epileptic seizures: Has your child had them & recovered?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 02 2023, 6:13 am
My child has epilepsy. It was pretty well-controlled until we all got Omicron. In the early years my child would have breakthroughs connected to viruses/ fevers, but those pretty much disappeared and we only had breakthroughs if there was a sudden growth spurt and the levels got too low. And the breakthroughs would disappear without leaving a trace the moment we changed the dose. BH BH

After Omicron it took six months to get back to a balanced state. Then we had several months with nothing, and then it started again. Possibly due to construction on the way to school, which involves flashing lights on a slow-moving road, meaning extended exposure each day, twice a day. (This is not a reason to switch schools. We live in the land of eternal construction.)

This week my child had a short seizure (they are absence seizures) and then nearly 1.5 hours, on the clock, of what looked like a seizure but was not (clear differences noticeable to trained eyes; I was not there, the staff is familiar with it and described in great detail what took place).

We have ruled out sugar issues (hypoglycemia/ diabetes), by a simple blood test. We ruled out too low a dose of medication, also by blood test.

I have a family member who suffers pseudoseizures for many years already and I am petrified my child will suffer that fate.

The ER release letter said that the incident was caused by a behavioral trigger in response to a social incident. Boatload of cr*p if you ask me, there was nothing unusual that happened that day, just the usual social worries, but nothing at all - even according to the child - that was unusual or out of the ordinary.

Does anyone here have a child or family member who has suffered non-epileptic incidents like this (which we are assuming are pseudeoseizures, until we find out otherwise)? Did they go away? Was it a one-off incident or did it happen a few times? If something helped end these, what was it?

Please no vaccine or detox cr*p. It's not based in science and I have zero patience for such idiocy at the moment. If you don't have anything nice to say scroll on and don't say anything. I will be reporting posts that don't stick to this request.

I am looking for encouragement and *relevant* advice on how to help my child.

Thanks in advance.

amother
White

Post Fri, Jun 02 2023, 6:54 am
I myself did. I had seizures as a child. While I cant tell you much specifics, sounds quite similar. I once had a seizure on the subway (incidentally, in my way to the Dr for a routine check up). We realized the subway prob triggered it because of the going in/out of the light.

I had them from about age 4 till about 14, at which point I was med free and seizure free for about a year. Bh, its not hereditary (as it wasn't for me), my children are all healthy and doing great. Bh, a million times over.

Iyh your child should grown out of it and live a healthy adult life.

TwinsMommy

Post Fri, Jun 02 2023, 5:04 pm
My son had a ton of absence seizures. Depakote helps a ton. Hatzlacha.

amother
NeonBlue

Post Fri, Jun 02 2023, 5:47 pm
Yes

Always happened on high stress times (fight with sibling, thought missed a bus, etc.) bh now in 20s and a healthy, seizure-free mother.

amother
Bergamot

Post Fri, Jun 02 2023, 5:58 pm
I would focus on the practical. Could your child wear sunglasses on the way to and from school? Could they close their eyes or even maybe wrap their upper face for the trip? Are they on a bus or in a car? If they’re on a bus, would it be possible to drive them?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics