Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Gefilta fish in oven - method?

mrsnistar

Post Fri, Jun 02 2023, 9:59 am
Can someone share their method with me?
The way I tried it in the past made it become a very overgrown, shallow, weird shape...

TIA!!

amother
Cyan

Post Fri, Jun 02 2023, 10:21 am
I wrap the frozen roll in foil, this retains the shape. Put it in a pan with chopped onions, carrots, salt, a bit of sugar, paprika. Cover with water, cover pan & bake at 350 for about 2 hours. Remove the foil & paper asap when fish is still hot.

bsy

Post Fri, Jun 02 2023, 10:28 am
Cut onion, put on bottom of pan. Pit roll on top, seam of the paper side down. In a cup, mix some sugar, tsp of salt, some pepper, and water (more if you like the fish wetter, less if you like it drier). Mix and pour over the fish. Cover and bake 350 for 90 mins.

tweety1

Post Fri, Jun 02 2023, 10:48 am
More or less the same way I cook it in a pot I do in the oven in a pan.

mrsnistar

Post Fri, Jun 02 2023, 10:55 am
wow. Thank you, ladies. So that was my mistake - I got a method off here once that taught me to unwrap the roll before I bake it... In hindsight, yeah. Bad idea.

Thanks!

esther11

Post Fri, Jun 02 2023, 10:58 am
mrsnistar wrote:
wow. Thank you, ladies. So that was my mistake - I got a method off here once that taught me to unwrap the roll before I bake it... In hindsight, yeah. Bad idea.

Thanks!

I have a specific method where I unwrap it, so to keep the shape I bake it in a loaf pan of a similar size

amother
Teal

Post Fri, Jun 02 2023, 11:13 am
Keep it simple-
Place wrapped roll seam side down in loaf pan. Add water, like a quarter way up. Seal tightly.
(No onions, no carrots, no seasoning- the fish is already seasoned! )
Bake at 350 45 min then temove from oven, uncover, take knife and poke some slits along top of loaf so it doesn’t expand and pop. Recover.
Bake another 45 min- 1 hour.
Don’t leave sitting in liquid too long or will get soggy.
That’s it!

amother
Tulip

Post Fri, Jun 02 2023, 11:15 am
I unwrap it and cook it in a loaf pan with an inch of water. Sometimes I put in marinara/sautéed onion cubes instead. Never had a problem with the shape.
The company you use might make a difference, I’ve been using two different brands and one does more puffy then the other.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics