Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Girls bedroom walls

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jun 03 2023, 11:52 pm
What do your pre-teens/teen girls hang on their walls by their bed (or in their room as a whole).

My girls are getting older. They used to have just random artwork that they made, calendars etc… on their wall near their bed. They are telling me non of their friends have that stuff and it’s babyish. I have no problem with them changing it but they don’t know what they want.
They said their friends have a calendar and a picture of themselves/family.

I’m working on redecorating their room All together and want to paint as well. I want them to feel likes it’s put together(which they are asking for).. but they don’t have that creative side to figure it out themselves.

Eta: I’ve spoken to them about it not being about what their friends have/don’t have in their rooms. Only what they like matters

Also, I’m not my research but I haven’t had luck finding any inspiration

All ideas are welcomed!

amother
Lime

Post Sat, Jun 03 2023, 11:59 pm
We used removable wallpaper - it comes like a roll of contact paper. very affordable, do it yourself
We ordered on amazon, depending on style and size - it costed somewhere between $45-$100 to do one wall of each bedroom. Very cool options!

we also hung this feather light fixture:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....ss_tl

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 12:00 am
Love that! Can you post a link of your wallpaper? Or at least the company you used?

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 12:03 am
we did this for her room its a silvery gray white with a 3d kind of feel when you touch it: https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....ss_tl

we did this for the playroom:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....ss_tl

amother
Mustard

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 12:03 am
If your girls are into this, as a teen I loved making my own 500 or 1000 piece puzzles. I would choose a pretty picture that would match the room, and make it a project with the girls in the same room and hang it up!

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 12:06 am
I would 100% let them figure this one out for themselves. If you don’t want them on the internet then take them to an actual brick and mortar store one day. It can be a lot of fun! Just give them a budget and tell them to run it by you for final approval.

amother
Green

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 12:10 am
amother Whitesmoke wrote:
I would 100% let them figure this one out for themselves. If you don’t want them on the internet then take them to an actual brick and mortar store one day. It can be a lot of fun! Just give them a budget and tell them to run it by you for final approval.

This. I'd take them to target or Walmart, lots of affordable options.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 12:42 am
Thanks!

I would love to give them the chance to pick stuff for themselves but I do think they need guidance. They have a hard time visualizing how things look and if I come to them with an idea of what type of stuff should be on their walls then we can proceed to buying said stuff.

Ie- the wallpaper idea for one wall. With that idea, I will allow them to chose which pattern.
Puzzle idea- I’ll allow them to choose which puzzle

They simply need ideas. What do your kids have on their wall next to their bed?

amother
Emerald

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 12:43 am
How about have them look at design magazines and see what kind of vibe they want?
I’d take them to Home Depot, and have them check out the paint, shelving, temp wallpaper, and bulletin boards.
Even if they just come out with paint swatches of colors/vibes they like, it’s a win.

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 12:48 am
There’s also wall decals if you want to go in that direction

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 12:50 am
Never used this but it looks pretty https://www.wayfair.com/Wade-L.....D_BwE

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 12:54 am
What do their friends have?

nicole81

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 2:41 am
My preteen likes putting a calendar and pics of herself and family around. Plus stuff she paints.

One of my teens likes to put her artwork (we do a lot of painting in my house) and those shadow box type things that say "love" and other words.

My other teen girl hangs flags on her wall and has floating shelves with bobble head type dolls.

My teen boy doesn't care.

But all of them have or want floating and/or corner shelves, plus curtains that are their style and match their duvet covers and area rugs. Like a whole theme to the room. My main preteen and teen room is a black and white theme.

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 3:13 am
We did wall decals, personalized with their names. Looks sophisticated but not too serious. And so cheap.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item.....Adapt

SG18

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 6:21 am
I never had anything on my walls, besides for a clock. Definitely a personal preference, it should be up to them to decorate, beyond paint/wallpaper.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics