Home
Log in / Sign Up
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How do people afford to buy a car?
1  2  Next



Post new topic   Reply to topic View latest: 24h 48h 72h

amother
OP


 

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 5:26 am
I need a car desperately.
I got a used car 4 yrs ago but it’s old and there are many things wrong with it.
I am having such a hard time finding a car because the prices are so high. I’m not even looking for a new car but a used one and those are a fortune.
I see so many new cars on the road.
Even leasing is a fortune.
How do people with families with average paying jobs do it?
I can’t finance and want to buy something outright but don’t have the $10,000 plus to buy a decent car.
What is everyone secret?
Back to top

amother
Slateblue


 

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 5:27 am
I know you said you can’t but our secret was financing
Back to top

amother
Narcissus


 

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 5:34 am
We buy very old used cars, preferably totalled and rebuilt. One car was 6k, the other was 3k. The trick is having a mechanic you really trust to find you old working cars.
Back to top

amother
Camellia


 

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 5:38 am
amother Slateblue wrote:
I know you said you can’t but our secret was financing
Same, it was easier for us with the monthly payments (for a long time) than to pay one big lump sum at once. This was the only option for us.
Back to top

realtalk




 
 
    
 

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 5:45 am
We also bought very old cars in the $3k range and daven
Back to top

amother
Jean


 

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 5:50 am
We financed. If your credit is good often they'll offer you zero %interest. We also financed a second car used.
Back to top

mha3484




 
 
    
 

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 5:50 am
I financed a 5 year old car. I finally paid it off and the car is really showing its age so I am looking to do the same again.
Back to top

amother
Burlywood


 

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 5:53 am
amother OP wrote:
I need a car desperately.
I got a used car 4 yrs ago but it’s old and there are many things wrong with it.
I am having such a hard time finding a car because the prices are so high. I’m not even looking for a new car but a used one and those are a fortune.
I see so many new cars on the road.
Even leasing is a fortune.
How do people with families with average paying jobs do it?
I can’t finance and want to buy something outright but don’t have the $10,000 plus to buy a decent car.
What is everyone secret?


We just had to do it and paid 3.5x more than we had and never dreamed of buying a car so expensive. I went for a few thousand more for newer since already a crazy sum. We convinced them to allow us to put a large chunk on CC that we have 0 APR on. They said no the whole time until it came down to paying, the finance person agreed

Kia is cheaper and good. We just wanted a car that held the value more for resale purposes later
Back to top

amother
Burlywood


 

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 5:55 am
amother Narcissus wrote:
We buy very old used cars, preferably totalled and rebuilt. One car was 6k, the other was 3k. The trick is having a mechanic you really trust to find you old working cars.


We used to do this . It takes time though so doesn't work when desperate
Back to top

amother
Narcissus


 

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 6:40 am
amother Burlywood wrote:
We used to do this . It takes time though so doesn't work when desperate


Very true. Our first car, in 2018, only took 3 months to find. Our second in 2021 took 6 months. (both still work if you're curious, we just both work in the suburbs and needed cars for commuting)
Back to top

amother
Orchid


 

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 6:41 am
Where’s the best place to find a car to buy?
Back to top

shabbatiscoming




 
 
    
 

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 6:44 am
amother Orchid wrote:
Where’s the best place to find a car to buy?

Seeing as this site is international with women all over rge world, you might want yo mrntion where you are located.
Back to top

amother
Hydrangea


 

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 6:48 am
We bought a used Camry from Lakewood auto sales. They are honest and well priced. It was 10 years old with under 80k miles. We put down 3.5k, proceeds from out totaled old car. Payments were a bit over $220 a month- close to what we were paying for repairs on our old car. It’s been over a year and we are very happy with it. Rates may be a drop higher but if you can afford repairs, you can afford the loan on a used car.
Back to top

amother
Oxfordblue


 

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 6:53 am
As soon as you get your car, start putting away "monthly payments " towards the next car so next time you are in the position you'd like to be in.
Back to top

amother
Antiquewhite


 

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 6:53 am
It may come as a surprise but it may be worth considering leasing or financing a Tesla because they are super cheap now with significantly lower prices on cheaper models along with large federal and state tax credits, and significant savings on gas
Back to top

amother
Natural


 

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 7:03 am
We financed through our credits cards and bought from Lakewood auto.
Back to top

greenteaorange




 
 
    
 

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 7:23 am
The secret is financing most people don’t have huge amount of money laying around for a car why is finanancing not an option?
Back to top

amother
Dodgerblue


 

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 7:25 am
Most people I know lease
Back to top

amother
Burlywood


 

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 7:25 am
amother Narcissus wrote:
Very true. Our first car, in 2018, only took 3 months to find. Our second in 2021 took 6 months. (both still work if you're curious, we just both work in the suburbs and needed cars for commuting)

We were very happy with our copart car.
It took ages to find but we had time. This time we were desperate which was hard! So resale value was important to me since I couldn't get as a good deal as copart auction
Back to top

amother
Burlywood


 

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 7:26 am
amother Orchid wrote:
Where’s the best place to find a car to buy?

Car edge and watch their videos on YouTube! You will learn lots of tricks to negotiating deals. We used it to our advantage big time
Back to top
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics




Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Finances

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Buying a car under my business
by amother
4 Today at 8:35 am View last post
Where can I buy teen clothing in the Catskills
by amother
0 Today at 8:10 am View last post
I hate when people 'compliment' me
by amother
20 Yesterday at 8:31 pm View last post
Please daven for a woman hit by a car
by amother
1 Fri, Jul 12 2024, 2:33 am View last post
by JLi
Average monthly car payment for suv or minivan
by amother
40 Thu, Jul 11 2024, 7:16 pm View last post