Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Insulin resistance diet for teens

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 8:59 am
I need to start my teen, finishing 8th grade on an insulin resistant diet and make some major changes introducing much more veggies into her diet.

Looking for ideas for school lunches, when she doesn’t like salads yet and it’s not typical to bring at her age. As well as ideas of how to handle going to camp and making good choices.

Would also love recommendations of a nutritionist who can work with us

amother
Daffodil

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 9:01 am
Look into pro metabolic diets. They are not so much about low carb and more about pairing foods in ways that won't send your blood sugar skyrocketing. There are also a bunch of supplements that can help with blood sugar regulation and can work alongside diet.

amother
Obsidian

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 9:32 am
low carb high protein no sugar/no sweeteners
low glycemic fruits
all and any veggies
no pasta no potatoes (can have sweet potatoes)
no rice no beans
full fat dairy
meat, chicken, fish, eggs...
no juices no soda not regular or diet
no carbonated drinks
water is best

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 9:54 am
I get all the no’s. I am looking for ideas of good food ideas that don’t seem so restrictive and “different “ to make this workable long term.

amother
Obsidian

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 9:56 am
Ask her what she likes to eat based on what she can eat within the restrictions

Cheese
Riced cauliflower
Cauliflower crust pizza
Feta salad
Salad with grilled chicken or salmon
Mashed sweet potatoes
Humus can cut veggies for dipping
Roasted veggies
No Mayo coleslaw
Cottage cheese
Lots of spices
Tamari soy sauce
Soups
Spiraled zucchini in nonsugar tomato sauce
Plain Greek yogurt can mix in your own fruit or make a creamy dressing with lemon juice etc
Sugar free protein bars under 10 carbs
Good idea to get a nutritionist involved
Good luck

amother
Obsidian

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 10:29 am
Beef jerky

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 9:52 pm
Any recommendations for a nutritionist or RD?
Which do I want to look for?

Is this all or nothing? If we reduce the high glycemic foods by 50% let’s say is that going to be 50% effective in healing the insulin resistance?

Is it worth it to start making these changes in the 3 weeks befor she goes to camp? I’m hoping we can already break the sugar/carb addiction by then, but not sure what will be available for her in camp to make sure that there are foods that she can eat?

The RE started her on metformin, is 14 too young to start with meds? Any good advice with easing into it?

amother
Seablue

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 10:23 pm
amother OP wrote:

Is this all or nothing? If we reduce the high glycemic foods by 50% let’s say is that going to be 50% effective in healing the insulin resistance?

Is it worth it to start making these changes in the 3 weeks befor she goes to camp? I’m hoping we can already break the sugar/carb addiction by then, but not sure what will be available for her in camp to make sure that there are foods that she can eat?

The RE started her on metformin, is 14 too young to start with meds? Any good advice with easing into it?
reproductive endocrinologist? Try calling the camp to speak to the nurse and ask if you can send fruit or if they can offer it to her. It's worth trying a healthy diet now before camp.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 10:34 pm
Sorry. I see too many references to RE’s on this site.

Regular, pediatric endocrinologist, was going because in addition to the insulin issues. Hasn’t had a period ina few months so that was on my hear.

amother
Ebony

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 10:39 pm
amother OP wrote:

Fat head pizza dough

Why did the RE start metformin?

Camp should be spoken to.

Asking anonymous advice from strangers isn’t going to help you.

Is your child on board?

Rappel

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 10:39 pm
amother OP wrote:
I get all the no’s. I am looking for ideas of good food ideas that don’t seem so restrictive and “different “ to make this workable long term.

Make veggie muffins, with good quality whole spelt flour.

Chicken cutlets wrapped in lettuce

Tuna and salad wraps

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 05 2023, 9:35 am
Would really love recommendations of a nutritionist of RD to speak to, best in Brooklyn area but zoom works too

amother
Glitter

Post Mon, Jun 05 2023, 10:27 am
Whole wheat bread with tuna, cheese or avacado with vegetables like tomato, lettuce, cucumber pickles.
Chummus with carrots/whole wheat crackers

amother
Quince

Post Mon, Jun 05 2023, 11:07 am
Martha McKittrick specializes in pcos. She's great for adults, I dont know her experience with teens.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 05 2023, 11:18 am
Do you have a contact? Is she familiar with frum culture?

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Jun 05 2023, 11:23 am
Buckwheat is supposed to be good for PCOS for some reason. I love buckwheat grouts cooked, then add salt, olive oil, and tomato sauce. Delicious, and good substitute for pasta! Buckwheat salads are also a thing, though I've never tried.

amother
Mulberry

Post Mon, Jun 05 2023, 11:24 am
Have you tested all type 1 antibodies, and cpeptides? I'm assuming yes because ur with endocrinologist...
If not, this might be the beginning of type 1 and not type 2.

amother
Pear

Post Mon, Jun 05 2023, 3:43 pm
Rivka Sochet

amother
Obsidian

Post Mon, Jun 05 2023, 3:47 pm
Good idea to get a professional involved
Some say crackers etc even whole wheat are no good
Some recommend based on blood work etc no gluten
Her dr doesn’t have any recommendations for a good nutritionist expert in this area?
Hatzlocha
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking