Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Makeup- what age to start?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 7:10 am
At what age do your girls start wearing makeup?
My 14 year old daughter just told me eeeeeveryone in her class wears makeup. It just feels so young to me

Elfrida

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 7:16 am
Do they wear make-up for every day? For Shabbos? For weddings? Which two or three girls constitute everyone? Does the school have any rules about it?

I don’t think it does anything for them, but I've seen girls that age wearing make up for weddings.

It's useful for a girl to know how to do their make up before they start dating. If she wants to experiment now, it won't hurt, but I wouldn't encourage it as a regular thing. Sixteen is plenty old enough.

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 7:22 am
In my day makeup was not allowed at school. We all go
Our first lipstick. And eyeliner in time for our high school yearbook photos (I was 16, some are 17)

amother
Mintgreen

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 7:27 am
This really depends on where you belong. My brother got engaged when I was in 11th grade before the summer. I needed to borrow my mother's makeup for the vort and was quite mad cuz her lipsticks were so dark! Very Happy . I was still 16. I probably got some stuff a few months later for the wedding.

Chasidish in BP
14 is 9th grade? Sounds young.

goldfish1

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 7:30 am
at age 14 I would say let her put on mascara and lip gloss for shabbos or something like that. You can slowly build it up so that by the time she's 19 she's wearing full face.

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 7:34 am
goldfish1 wrote:
at age 14 I would say let her put on mascara and lip gloss for shabbos or something like that. You can slowly build it up so that by the time she's 19 she's wearing full face.

But why would a 19 year old need a full face? Youthful skin and bright eyes need few enhancements. Makeup ages girls and women so much. Light makeup is so much more flattering than a full face

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 7:38 am
I let my girls wear lip gloss and mascara to simchos at about that age. They were allowed to add some eyeliner and blush for simchos and shabbos at about 16. In both cases, they started bc there was a major simcha, and "upgraded" for same reason. So DD1 actually started younger bc that's when the simcha was. They didn't wear any makeup in school.

Highstrung

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 7:39 am
I went to BY in BP a few decades ago so things may have changed . I started wearing simple makeup for Shabbos only when I was in 9th grade . However it was not the norm. In 11th grade my entire class was already wearing a full face for Friday night. We were never allowed to wear makeup to school , ever. Even for yearbook pics . (Some girls broke the rules and wore very natural) . I’d allow my daughter to start wearing at 14 for Shabbos and Yom Tov only (which in reality means for Friday night because it’s all off the next day) .

#BestBubby

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 7:49 am
When I went to HS 40 years ago, make up not allowed.

But many 9th graders wore a little make up for shobbos, more for weddings.

We were allowed to wear makeup for yearbook pictures. Some girls used make up artist.

Yearbook albums were shidduch albums.

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 8:06 am
My daughter started at 17 only for Shabbos.
Now she's 18.5 wears mascara, lip gloss and a drop of blush for Shabbos. She has beautiul natural coloring and really doesn't need it but it's a social thing. They're not allowed to wear for school. My 10th grader doesn't wear yet but I have a suspicion that she steals from her sister for weddings.

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 8:15 am
I first started going into 10th lip gloss for shabbos. Some eye shadow. My sister got married around then. At 16 my mother sent me to a makeup artists to pick colors and learn how to put on. Light makeup. Only for shabbos or simchas. These days I only use it when I feel a need.

DrMom

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 8:45 am
goldfish1 wrote:

Why is that a goal?

I think most 19-year-olds look awful with all that stuff slathered all over their faces. It looks ageing and mask-like.

amother
Grape

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 8:50 am
My young girls (8-11) wear lip gloss/lipstick for shabbos or simchas. They love it. They feel so grown up. They start wearing more at about 16 or so.

amother
Eggplant

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 8:52 am
goldfish1 wrote:
In what world and why would a 19 year old need a full face of make up? I am so glad that in the community I live in young girls and even girls that are dating, are not even thinking about wearing a full face of make up.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 9:44 am
We gave dd her own mascara and lip gloss in 8th grade. She asked for it and wore it rarely, at weddings and such.
She knew we'd take her for an official makeover at 16 so she could pick out makeup she likes. But at 15 she asked us to reconsider and allow her to buy and wear it earlier. We did. She still only wore makeup occasionally for special occasions and sometimes on shabbos (as she wished). Closer to 17 she started putting on makeup regularly for shabbos. Other times she just wore mascara.

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 9:53 am
amother Ivory wrote:
I let my girls wear lip gloss and mascara to simchos at about that age. They were allowed to add some eyeliner and blush for simchos and shabbos at about 16. In both cases, they started bc there was a major simcha, and "upgraded" for same reason. So DD1 actually started younger bc that's when the simcha was. They didn't wear any makeup in school.

I should add that I allowed both girls to wear concealer for acne as needed starting at 12 or 13. Dd1 had really terrible skin, for a couple of years till we figured put what worked, so I let her wear concealer even to school. Her school (BY Monsey) either didn't know or agreed with me that it was bad for her to have such visibly bad skin. Dd2 had a more normal amount of acne (a pimple or maybe two) so used concealer only when she was "dressed up."

zoom

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 1:48 pm
Why do people say make up ages you?

In what way?
Ages the skin, or actually makes you look older?

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 2:00 pm
[quote="zoom"]Why do people say make up ages you?

In what way?
Ages the skin, or actually makes you look older?[/quote

Makes you look older. Not in a good way

amother
Cognac

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 2:02 pm
zoom wrote:
Why do people say make up ages you?

In what way?
Ages the skin, or actually makes you look older?

I think in both ways
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics