Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Study abroad programs
1  2  Next

Cressel

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 11:19 am
Anyone know anything about study abroad programs for students going to Eretz Yisorel for seminary?

Do you end up with a BA while in seminary through doing it?

What kind of credits does it give you/what college courses does it cut out?

amother
Canary

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 11:28 am
TTI has a study abroad program, check on their website

Cressel

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 11:40 am
amother Canary wrote:
TTI has a study abroad program, check on their website

Do you need to go to TTI after doing it? Does signing up require a commitment to going to TTI after seminary?

Because WITS in Baltimore has a study abroad program but you need to go to WITS after doing it.

amother
Canary

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 11:51 am
Cressel68 wrote:
Do you need to go to TTI after doing it? Does signing up require a commitment to going to TTI after seminary?

Because WITS in Baltimore has a study abroad program but you need to go to WITS after doing it.

It's a whole bachelors degree you get through TTI, with classes before and after. Basically you can be done your bachelors 6 months after seminary. If you're eligible, you can get financial aid for the degree and for seminary.

Cressel

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 11:53 am
amother Canary wrote:
It's a whole bachelors degree you get through TTI, with classes before and after. Basically you can be done your bachelors 6 months after seminary. If you're eligible, you can get financial aid for the degree and for seminary.

You can get BA in any career/field? Or it's just a general bachelors for no specific career?

amother
Brass

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 11:53 am
amother Canary wrote:

I have no idea what TTI is, but how in the world can someone get a BA in a year and a half? Sounds beyond fishy.

amother
Canary

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 11:57 am
Cressel68 wrote:
You can get BA in any career/field? Or it's just a general bachelors for no specific career?

A BA is not usually field specific, usually you have to go on to get a masters in the field you want. That's across the board.

TravelHearter

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 12:07 pm
amother Brass wrote:
I have no idea what TTI is, but how in the world can someone get a BA in a year and a half? Sounds beyond fishy.

Totally not. Seminary usually gives you abt 30 (if I’m remembering correctly) credits/whatever the term is. If you work super hard, take some CLEPs, and other classes, it’s doable.

Cressel

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 12:18 pm
Anyone did/or had daughters that did study abroad programs that can tell me how they work?

amother
Brass

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 2:51 pm
TravelHearter wrote:
Totally not. Seminary usually gives you abt 30 (if I’m remembering correctly) credits/whatever the term is. If you work super hard, take some CLEPs, and other classes, it’s doable.

What is TTI? And how is it possible. 30 credits is a year. A BA is 4 years. What does this place do to enable people to get the BA so fast? Something sounds off.
What are cleps?

Cressel

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 3:01 pm
amother Brass wrote:
What is TTI? And how is it possible. 30 credits is a year. A BA is 4 years. What does this place do to enable people to get the BA so fast? Something sounds off.
What are cleps?

CLEPS are when you take a test on a college subject (such as history, psychology, science, etc) so that you can get credit as if you took the course.

This makes you not have the take certain courses as long as you passed the exam and the college accepts CLEP credits.

amother
Brass

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 3:05 pm
Cressel68 wrote:
CLEPS are when you take a test on a college subject (such as history, psychology, science, etc) so that you can get credit as if you took the course.

This makes you not have the take certain courses as long as you passed the exam and the college accepts CLEP credits.
How would anyone be able to take a test on an entire subect without learning it first? Sounds extremely fishy.

amother
Canary

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 3:06 pm
amother Brass wrote:
How would anyone be able to take a test on an entire subect without learning it first? Sounds extremely fishy.

This is a whole topic; read up on testing for credit or credit by exam. There's more than one way to earn a bachelor's degree.

TravelHearter

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 3:09 pm
Listen. Just because you’ve never heard of it doesn’t mean it’s fishy. It just means you don’t know anything about it.
The word ‘fishy’ sounds like you’re implying that there is something wrong/illegitimate about it. Research CLEPs and you’ll learn about it.
TTI, Touro, Thomas Edison, charter oak… those are just a few colleges that help you get a BA in less than 4 years. And not all of them are Jewish.

TravelHearter

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 3:11 pm
By the way, I have a business degree (masters) and I accomplished it before my 21st bday. It’s doable.

Cressel

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 3:41 pm
Cressel68 wrote:
Anyone did/or had daughters that did study abroad programs that can tell me how they work?

Still am wondering about this. Anyone?

amother
Brass

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 4:09 pm
Cressel68 wrote:
Still am wondering about this. Anyone?

Nobody is answering you. I will. Even though I went to sem over 25 years ago. I applied to colleges. I got in. I deferred my admission for a year. Afater I came back, I had my transcript from my sem translated to english. The college I was going to looked the courses and decided what credits I would get toward my BA. I got a full year and had 3 more to finish my BA in the college I went to.

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 4:35 pm
My daughter did it last year. Took a few classes and test before she went to seminary, a couple during seminary and a bunch the summer after seminary. They end up with an associate degree.
My daughter went to BJJ and got a lot of credits for her year there. She did online college and a few more test and got her B.A before pesach.
There's nothing fishy about it!

Cressel

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 4:46 pm
amother Teal wrote:
My daughter did it last year. Took a few classes and test before she went to seminary, a couple during seminary and a bunch the summer after seminary. They end up with an associate degree.
My daughter went to BJJ and got a lot of credits for her year there. She did online college and a few more test and got her B.A before pesach.
There's nothing fishy about it!

What kind of associates degree do they give you? In what field? In any career that you wanna do?

amother
Molasses

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 6:04 pm
Cressel68 wrote:
What kind of associates degree do they give you? In what field? In any career that you wanna do?

You can get a degree, but it's a VERY different degree to spending (at least) 2 year focusing on you major. In the "olden days" we got a year of credits from seminary, a year from "clepping" minor subjects like humanities. But then you still did 2 full years (I.e Sarah Schneirer) with top professors learning psychology and education courses. Each class alone had hours of homework and observations. We came out with a lot of knowledge and well equipped for careers. And then we still did our masters. I can attest that this is no longer true. The "express" track does not prepare you at all for a job or career. I have a niece that paid experienced teachers for private lessons so she would be ready to teach because the education the girls receive now isn't sufficient. Yes sure you can finish your degree 6 months after seminary but really what do you know?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics