Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Child & Baby Products
Old baby cribs - are they really a danger?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 2:30 pm
I read that cribs manufactured before 2011 should not be used because the drop down sides pose a danger. I never noticed anything dangerous about my crib when my kids used it and I had hoped to use it when watching my grandchildren iyH.

Is this really an issue?

dinglehopper

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 2:31 pm
Yes, that's why they recalled them/changed the recommendation.

amother
Grape

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 2:42 pm
A crib in good repair, even if it isn't new, should be fine. The issue you are referring to is the drop side, which is a potential risk and why they have stopped manufacturing cribs with drop sides.
https://www.verywellfamily.com.....94016

Although if your crib is in good repair and safe, I don't know if it's such a big deal to use occasionally for your grandchildren.

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 2:43 pm
Besides for the drop down bars which aren’t safe, the bars might be too far apart, screws might be too loose, and the older cribs tend to have more metal pieces for baby to get themselves hurt on.
If your crib doesn’t have any of these issues, keep using it. Although I would probably still recommend replacing it with a cheap and safe new pack n play.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 2:52 pm
I read:
"Unfortunately, the same mechanisms that allow for the drop-gate's functionality also create a gap that forms between the crib mattress and part of the drop side. As a result, babies could become trapped and suffocate or get strangled in the gap"

I don't remember my crib having this gap (it's not put together right now) but even so, couldnt I just get a better fitting mattress? I guess I don't really understand outlawing the drop down side. It must make it so much harder to put a sleeping baby into a crib without one.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 2:53 pm
amother Sienna wrote:
Besides for the drop down bars which aren’t safe, the bars might be too far apart, screws might be too loose, and the older cribs tend to have more metal pieces for baby to get themselves hurt on.
If your crib doesn’t have any of these issues, keep using it. Although I would probably still recommend replacing it with a cheap and safe new pack n play.

I have an old (more than 20 years old) pack n play. Are they making them differently now-a-days?

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 2:57 pm
amother OP wrote:
I have an old (more than 20 years old) pack n play. Are they making them differently now-a-days?

I think if it doesn’t feel shaky, and has no broken or torn parts, it should be fine. But maybe look up the model to make sure it hasn’t been recalled at any point.

amother
Chestnut

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 2:57 pm
Honestly just get a new pack and play. They are inexpensive.
My in laws have an old crib in their house for grandbabies and it makes me nervous and uncomfortable using it.

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 2:58 pm
I wouldn’t worry. If 6 kids were already safe and the crib is in good condition, I’m using it.
Same with car seats. If the belts and buckles are strong, I don’t go by “expiration” dates.
I feel that it’s a way for manufacturers to make more money.
Definitely safety first but you also have to use your own common sense.

amother
Kiwi

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 2:59 pm
amother OP wrote:

Just happened today. My mil gave me her old pack n play . My newer model the sides are higher. My baby hoisted himself up and flipped out of the pack n play onto the back of his head (like on a monkey bar).

giftedmom

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 2:59 pm
It’s not any less safe than it was before 2011. Unless ofcourse it’s broken or shaky. Use your common sense.

Java

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 3:11 pm
giftedmom wrote:
It’s not any less safe than it was before 2011. Unless ofcourse it’s broken or shaky. Use your common sense.

It wasn't safe before 2011
That's the point

amother
Melon

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 3:31 pm
amother Apricot wrote:
I wouldn’t worry. If 6 kids were already safe and the crib is in condition, I’m using it.
Same with car seats. If the belts and buckles are strong, I don’t go by “expiration” dates.
I feel that it’s a way for manufacturers to make more money.
Definitely safety first but you also have to use your own common sense.

With due respect that is an absurd way to view safety issues.

Most people who ride motorcycles aren't killed but that doesn't make them a safe form of transportation.

Most people who jaywalk don't die but that doesn't matter if you are the person killed jaywalking.

I grew up when people didn't wear seatbelts in cars and no one I personally knew died in an auto accident. Nor did children travel in car seats. All of us lived but I would no more not use a seatbelt or have my children not in a car seat or using seat belts than I would dance naked down Broadway.

Most children didn't die in crib accidents - most children didn't die by sticking their heads through stairway posts too far apart. That doesn't mean that these are safe.

Unless you think you are such a special snowflake that nothing bad could ever happen to you or someone you care about.

LovesHashem

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 3:51 pm
I didn't even know this was a thing. We bought our crib a few years ago like this in Israel that is from a very well known company that makes good quality cribs that last year's and aren't junky. It was certified by the Israeli safety experts.

So interesting...

scintilla

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 3:55 pm
Are they really a danger? Hard to answer that. They definitely did injure kids, that's why the rules changed. Honestly, why risk it? A pack n play is really not expensive. Or even a simple crib from target or wayfair, you can easily get a pretty one with a nice new mattress and bedding for under $200.

amother
Chestnut

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 4:09 pm
LovesHashem wrote:
I didn't even know this was a thing. We bought our crib a few years ago like this in Israel that is from a very well known company that makes good quality cribs that last year's and aren't junky. It was certified by the Israeli safety experts.

So interesting...

They are banned in the US. It could be Israel has different standards.

amother
Black

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 4:12 pm
I wouldn't use it for my kids.
And if a grandparent had that as the only option I'd want to bring a pack and play along.
So let your married kids know that the only sleep option you have is a drop side crib so they have the option to rent or buy an alternative. I'd be frantic if I found out about that at the last minute.

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 4:27 pm
You would never forgive yourself if ch”v something did happen.
That’s how I would look at it I think

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 4:42 pm
I just bought a new pack & play the sides of which are lower than my old one.

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 4:45 pm
My first crib was a drop side crib (baby is now 20). My daughter was able to vault the side of the drop side and in doing so smashed the mechanism.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics