Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Oil spill in oven and I'm out of oven cleaner - help!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 05 2023, 10:26 pm
It's baked on good Sad I already tried scraping at it, it's stuck.
Can't run the oven without setting off the smoke alarms.
I want to clean it asap but don't have time to go out and buy oven cleaner.
Help!

ynms

Post Mon, Jun 05 2023, 10:28 pm
https://www.armandhammer.com/a.....-oven

Balabroomstick

Post Mon, Jun 05 2023, 10:28 pm
Make a paste of baking soda and a little dish soap and scrub

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 05 2023, 10:51 pm
Thanks.
Because it's a very strongly baked on spot, I tried the arm and hammer method that has it sit overnight. I guess we'll see tomorrow if it works...

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 5:32 pm
Well despite the hyperbole on their website, the baking soda trick helped but not enough. The oil spot is somewhat smaller but not dramatically, and what was left wasn't at all loosened or softened that I could start using elbow grease. It's still slick baked on.

Not sure what next Sad

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 5:36 pm
amother OP wrote:
Well despite the hyperbole on their website, the baking soda trick helped but not enough. The oil spot is somewhat smaller but not dramatically, and what was left wasn't at all loosened or softened that I could start using elbow grease. It's still slick baked on.

Not sure what next Sad

Mix baking soda with just enough water to make a paste in an oven-safe bowl; add vinegar (Heinz is not made from chometz). Use a sponge to dab the mixture on all dirt in the oven and along the bottom of the oven.
Place oven-safe bowl with the remaining mixture on an oven rack. Set your oven for 210 F degrees and let it run for 45 minutes.
Wipe up all the loose gunk, and your oven is clean.
https://youtu.be/wp0FT2tQ-8c
This works very well for regular basis to keep oven shiny clean. If it's very dirty it can take a few tries and a very strong elbow.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 5:46 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Mix baking soda with just enough water to make a paste in an oven-safe bowl; add vinegar (Heinz is not made from chometz). Use a sponge to dab the mixture on all dirt in the oven and along the bottom of the oven.
Place oven-safe bowl with the remaining mixture on an oven rack. Set your oven for 210 F degrees and let it run for 45 minutes.
Wipe up all the loose gunk, and your oven is clean.
https://youtu.be/wp0FT2tQ-8c
This works very well for regular basis to keep oven shiny clean. If it's very dirty it can take a few tries and a very strong elbow.

I don't get it, don't baking soda and vinegar cancel each other out? It fizzes and then you're left with basically water? If my science fair experience serves me well...?

amother
Lemonlime

Post Fri, Jun 23 2023, 10:35 am
Whenever oven starts smoking from a spill, I generously pour baking soda on the spill (while oven is still on) and smoking stops almost immediately.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry