Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
My husband finally allowed me to buy undershirt tzitzis
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 11:50 am
For my boys
He always said it’s not halachically allowed. He said the beged is not supposed to touch the skin… we’ve been arguing about this for years-
Anyway, I finally convinced him that it should be ok for the little boys- especially in the summer. He agreed but only until bar mitzvah.
So now- I’m off to the store to buy my first pair and I have no idea what size to buy.
Do they run like regular tzitzis?
Let’s say my 10 year old is wearing size 4 tzitzis now- is that what size I should buy in undershirt tzitzis or do I buy his undershirt size?

Iymnok

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 11:52 am
Bring an undershirt to the store and measure against the tzitzis. They may have a package opened for sizing.

Highstrung

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 11:54 am
amother OP wrote:
For my boys
He always said it’s not halachically allowed. He said the beged is not supposed to touch the skin… we’ve been arguing about this for years-
Anyway, I finally convinced him that it should be ok for the little boys- especially in the summer. He agreed but only until bar mitzvah.
So now- I’m off to the store to buy my first pair and I have no idea what size to buy.
Let’s say my 10 year old is wearing size 4 tzitzis now- is that what size I should buy in undershirt tzitzis or do I buy his undershirt size?

Buy whatever size undershirt he wears .

amother
Kiwi

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 11:57 am
Why is this so important to you? Yes as your husband has said the beged shouldn't touch one's body. So what will happen if you teach your children that and they wear an undershirt with tzizis on top???

boysrus

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 12:10 pm
amother OP wrote:
For my boys

the sizes need to be bigger. if he's wearing size 4 regular tzitzis now then he's probably not so tall or broad for his age. in that case I would recommend trying size 5 or 6. My son is younger than that but tall for his age, and wears size5 regular tzitzis and size 6 in undershirt tzitzis. We also do this only until bar mitzvah.
might be better to discuss isssues like this with a rav so husband and wife dont argue over the small stuff like this. good luck

BatZion

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 12:11 pm
I'm pretty sure OP was asking for sizing advice and not for questions regarding her preferences for her children's tzitzit...

giftedmom

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 12:12 pm
Buy the size of their undershirts. My boys won’t wear them past age 5-6.

amother
Cinnamon

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 12:12 pm
My husband said they’re fine but whenever he vetoes something because of halacha I text the rav and ask my own shaila. It’s very easy to say assur assur assur all day.

Anyway the brand of undershirt tzitzis I buy has a size guide on the back.

It’s important to me because the other kind always looked like a mess on my kids.

bsy

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 12:16 pm
My 4 year old wears size 4

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 12:17 pm
amother Kiwi wrote:
Why is this so important to you? Yes as your husband has said the beged shouldn't touch one's body. So what will happen if you teach your children that and they wear an undershirt with tzizis on top???

My oldest son is 17. Yes, that’s what we’ve been doing until now.
In the summer the younger ones complain- not to dh but to me! I’ve told them it’s not what we do etc but when they go swimming they see their friends wearing undershirt tzitzis and they wish that’s what they had! Especially in the heat.
We are having a hard time with one of our older boys now. Unfortunately at times he goes around without any tzitzis. So I told dh I don’t think he should make a big deal about the undershirt tzitzis for the younger boys because look at xxx - he’s not even wearing tzitzis sometimes…
Maybe I will stress that it’s only for the summer since wearing an undershirt and tzitzis is technically better.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 12:18 pm
boysrus wrote:
the sizes need to be bigger. if he's wearing size 4 regular tzitzis now then he's probably not so tall or broad for his age. in that case I would recommend trying size 5 or 6. My son is younger than that but tall for his age, and wears size5 regular tzitzis and size 6 in undershirt tzitzis. We also do this only until bar mitzvah.
might be better to discuss isssues like this with a rav so husband and wife dont argue over the small stuff like this. good luck

Okay- thank you

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 12:20 pm
BatZion wrote:
I'm pretty sure OP was asking for sizing advice and not for questions regarding her preferences for her children's tzitzit...

Thanks! I sort of asked for it with the whole background I gave…
I probably should have just asked what size to buy.

Rappel

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 12:25 pm
The ones in Israel seem to shrink two sizes in the wash.

amother
Foxglove

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 12:27 pm
How do you wash them so the strings don’t get ruined?
My son’s have pockets that the strings can go into, but won’t they fall right out in the wash?

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 12:31 pm
Some of the undershirt tzitzis have a little pocket in the corner to stick the tzitzis into so it doesnt stick out of their shorts

mommyhood

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 12:42 pm
They run weird, ideally you should go to the store and see if they have one open for a sample. If not and you're not super far from the store buy one to try before you stock up.
The arm whole specifically on some are smaller than it should be for the size of the t shirt.

amother
Phlox

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 12:43 pm
We are chabad and I put undershirt tzitzes on all my (very sensory) little boys. Once they are older they are very happy to wear wool tzitzes on top of an undershirt like the other boys.

mfb

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 12:45 pm
I asked my rov and was told not to have boys over chinuch she (9) wear them. I was asking cuz my 13 year old wanted to get them

amother
Thistle

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 12:50 pm
Also they are expensive ... don't forget super glue the knots.

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 12:52 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks! I sort of asked for it with the whole background I gave…
I probably should have just asked what size to buy.

If you only want info on sizing, maybe change the thread title and just ask for sizing....
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics