Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Feeling stupid paying with cash
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 2:36 pm
We are trying to budget and pay with cash recently so there's no temptation to go over. We saved up for our anniversary and went out to eat to a high end restaurant. With careful choices spent about $300. The waiter didn't know what to do with cash and I saw him go to the manager. The manager was smirking and ended up coming over and handling it himself. I just felt stupid. Like we don't belong there even though we're dropping plenty of money for us.

How can I feel better about this?

Trademark

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 2:38 pm
That's bad customer service.

Nothing wrong with you.

Cookin4days

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 2:38 pm
Dont even think about it, just think about how you celebrated you and dh and had a good time. One dumb waiter shouldn’t ruin the night for you and theres NOTHING wrong with paying in cash

amother
Sage

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 2:39 pm
He could have been laughing at the waiter for not knowing what to do, not at you

amother
Coffee

Most business love to receive cash every once in a while. Looks like the server was never trained in handling cash payments. This is 100% a they problem not a you problem.

amother
Caramel

If anything cash is cooler, like you're rich enough to just whip out hundreds of dollars on a whim

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 2:40 pm
I would assume that he was smirking at the incompetence, and not about you using cash.

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 2:40 pm
Yeah. I stopped using CC and feel like the only person still paying cash. I do have a debit card as well so that helps and maked situations easier.
If something YOU are the one actually paying with money YOUR have vs others paying CC which is like borrowed money.

NotInNJMommy

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 2:46 pm
I agree it's bad customer service. Plenty of people with $$$$$ money use cash as much as possible.

Also, maybe the manager smirked at the server due to their inability to deal with it, not at you for paying with cash.

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 2:48 pm
Using cash is not a sign of being poor. If anything the opposite .

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 2:51 pm
Cash is KING!!! Im sure the manager was smirking at the waiter for not knowing what to do.

happy chick

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 2:51 pm
amother Caramel wrote:
If anything cash is cooler, like you're rich enough to just whip out hundreds of dollars on a whim

I think the same way.

amother
Jasmine

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 2:53 pm
amother Caramel wrote:

This!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 2:58 pm
Cookin4days wrote:
Dont even think about it, just think about how you celebrated you and dh and had a good time. One dumb waiter shouldn’t ruin the night for you and theres NOTHING wrong with paying in cash

Thank you. Bh it was a really nice night. It's been a long time since we went to a nice restaurant.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 2:59 pm
amother Sage wrote:
He could have been laughing at the waiter for not knowing what to do, not at you

Could be. Although that wasn't the vibe I felt. Although maybe it was just my own insecurities making me feel that way.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 2:59 pm
amother Caramel wrote:

If only LOL

Thanks for your perspective!

amother
NeonBlue

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 3:00 pm
I use cash too. A lot of stores call the manager over bc they don’t have change. It’s kinda annoying but I kno I’m staying in my budget!

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 3:02 pm
My relatives are extremely wealthy, like they built each of their children $2 million+ dollar homes. I don't remember ever ever seeing them pay in anything but cash.

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 3:02 pm
At the beginning of the month we have £1k to spend on food etc to save our bank account as much as possible. My dh also saves in cash! I really wouldn't worry, you're not the only one.

amother
Lightyellow

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 3:04 pm
Paying with cash is a sign of wealth. I grew up rich my parents always had tons of cash on them. I on the other hand never have cash.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics