Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Camp--necessity or luxury
Previous  1  2

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jul 07 2008, 5:18 am
Many large families can't afford good, non dangerous, with real trained supervisors camp. But many who can afford like to send the kids up to two months in the summer so they can go on vacation as a couple. I find it too long. But it's said to be excellent for kids, etc.

I think sleepaway camp can be nice or very boring or even dangerous. There are unfortunately many Jewish camps I would never ever trust. As for day camp I don't know, it's not so common in France except those who go the the Chabad camp, but it's a rather new thing.

Personally I would rather send 2 weeks to the grandparents.

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Jul 07 2008, 8:49 am
luckily w here I live, teh boys have 'summer cheder' aka daycamp which is not a separate charge from regular tuition. I'm getting my money's worth!

yo'ma

Post Mon, Jul 07 2008, 9:00 am
Mama Bear wrote:
if you live upstate and the kids actually have where to play, and there is actually a pool to go to, this can work. if you live in the city, all you have is the hot concrete, no neighbors to play with, no pool to go to. day camp is an absolute necessity if you;'re in the city all summer.

I lived in the city (Brooklyn) and we stayed home. We didn't have a backyard or front yard either, for that matter, so we went to the park everyday.

I'm not saying it's for everyone, but if I complained about the tuition, how do I send my kids to camp? I was able to stay home with them, b"h. It came out cheaper than going to work and beside my babysitter didn't work in the summer. As for pple saying that kids need structure and pple around. My oldest at the time was 8 and the one younger than her was 7, so they had each other and the other ones were younger, obviously. So there's pple around. As for structure, we had a schedule, we called it camp mommy and they loved it. Now, they say they want to go back to NY and go to camp mommy Rolling Eyes . We even made up a song, called fun camp.

freidasima

Post Mon, Jul 07 2008, 9:24 am
I always worked full time and until the youngest was 8 we had a metapelet full time after school and full days during the summer. The kids never went to any kind of camp. After that age either they took care of themselves and trashed the house, or went with me to work where there were often things for them to do.

It wasn't fun.
We couldn't afford camp.
But the kids have great memories.

"Hey mom, remember when you had that big meeting and little sister ate your erasers and started throwing up and you had to come out and take care of her?"

Actually what they remember the most was the free coffee/choco machine at work. They and all the other workers kids, lived by it, and used up the stuff within two days..(they didn't like that at work but understood)...also the "Treat" was that after work I would buy each one an ice cream on thursday if they had been good all week...I had them collating papers, and they all learned to type on my work computer...once upon a time it was a typewriter (for the oldest..)

morahaviva

Post Mon, Jul 07 2008, 11:08 pm
While camp is very expensive, I think I would probably spend more if the kids were home - first of all I wouldnt be able to work - second of all once the kids are spread out age wise, it costs more money to keep everyone occupied and happy and not fighting with each other!!
We would be doing day trips, buying more food, eating out while out and about, shopping not because we need something but because its something to do.... my older two are working in daycamps, one of them will go to sleepaway for one month, the younger two are in daycamp.

flowerpower

Post Mon, Jul 07 2008, 11:17 pm
Sleep away camp is defenitaly some form of nec. bec. kids learn to use thier talents there, gain more independence, be more responsible, make new friends...

Regarding city camp, I think it's more of a luxery for the mom. The kids were off for about a week in between school and camp. I was busy entertaining them all day long. The heat hates me so it would make "mommy daycamp" a very hard job. I love doing things with them but I think day camp is a good idea.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics