Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
I only have access to imamother nothing else.
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 4:08 pm
Im noticing that anytime I post a question the response is always google it.
I noticed that this happens to others too.
Am I the only one bothered by this?
I mean come on! Even if the person could google it. What's wrong with being helpful?

kenz

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 4:10 pm
I do have more access and I agree with you. You don’t want to help, fine. Don’t waste time responding with an unhelpful answer.

amother
Fern

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 4:13 pm
It’s very annoying when people use this site as their google services because they want to be more frummer than the rest of us.

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 4:15 pm
amother OP wrote:
I mean come on! Even if the person could google it. What's wrong with being helpful?

I think sometimes it feels like a 12 year old asking if you can get them a glass of water... the knee jerk response is...

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 4:22 pm
amother Fern wrote:
It’s very annoying when people use this site as their google services because they want to be more frummer than the rest of us.

So move right along

It doesn't bother me

challah58

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 4:24 pm
amother Fern wrote:

What's that supposed to mean? We're all using each other here - as a second opinion, a financial advisor, a cookbook, a venting wall, a boredom buster...I have internet access and I'm happy to be helpful to someone who's more machmir than I. I don't respond to questions that need to be asked to to a rav because I'm not one. If you don't want to be someone's google, choose to not respond. 💁

amother
Alyssum

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 4:24 pm
amother Fern wrote:

I would be more then happy to help her. So you don't respond and leave it to others.

I do hear the annoyance though, not taking that away.

amother
Lemonlime

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 4:31 pm
amother Fern wrote:

I dont understand this.

I dont have internet on my phone just imamother and apps.

I do Not Use this site as google .
I happily ask questions and ask for advice because there are people behind this site rather then just realms of information I can scroll through.

I dont think Im frummer then any "rest of us"
Dont understand that meaning.

Amarante

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 4:42 pm
amother OP wrote:

Because sometimes there are a variety of options that come up and so it is a waste of time for someone to link to specific stuff because it probably isn't what they wanted.

Often it makes no sense because it is not like saying that X Store might carry this and providing a link to that store.

This morning someone inquired about candles and I said that bees wax or soy wax candles might solve the problem. When she asked about specific recommendations, I suggested googling because a HUGE assortment comes up in different styles, prices, quantity etc. What would be the point of providing with links when it is simple to google for what you want to purchase and quickly scan the google pages to see which are suitable and of interest.

And I would throw it back at you - it is not really on anyone to anticipate that someone on the internet doesn't have the ability to google for information on non-controversial subjects. Why would someone be on immother and not engage in completely "kosher" internet activities like looking for household items. This

Last edited by Amarante on Thu, Jun 08 2023, 5:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

vintagebknyc

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 4:51 pm
amother Lemonlime wrote:
I dont understand this.

I dont have internet on my phone just imamother and apps.

I do Not Use this site as google .
I happily ask questions and ask for advice because there are people behind this site rather then just realms of information I can scroll through.

I dont think Im frummer then any "rest of us"
Dont understand that meaning.

Imamother IS internet

Apps ARE internet

sequoia

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 4:54 pm
You cannot access a website (imamother) without internet.

amother
Dandelion

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 5:03 pm
amother OP wrote:

I only noticed it by intimacy threads. Many questions are extremely inappropriate on a frum site and so likely asked by a troll. Those should really be googled. Even if you don’t have google (not this site’s problem) it still wouldn’t give you a right to ask inappropriate questions.
Otherwise, on every other subject, you’re 100% right. There are always those happy to help even if you can find answers on google.

amother
Hydrangea

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 5:03 pm
I don't usually mind, except if someone posts what's xxx cleaners number. I mean, yes Google it, check the book etc
As apposed to, who is the best cleaners then they get recs and ask the number.

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 5:42 pm
What's wrong with it is that it smacks of asking someone to do your homework for you. They have to search, then go through and select the sites to send you. That takes time and effort.

amother
Clear

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 5:46 pm
Some answers might require an actual Google search. It’d be easier to just tell you to Google as opposed to possibly giving you the wrong answer.

Amarante

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 5:47 pm
amother Hydrangea wrote:
I don't usually mind, except if someone posts what's xxx cleaners number. I mean, yes Google it, check the book etc
As apposed to, who is the best cleaners then they get recs and ask the number.

Providing information on a specific store or provider is very different than expecting someone to research various options when the person can do it as easily

Last week someone asked me for the name of the place I got my mattress and I had no problem posting a link to their website and contact information. I would never say just google it since I had specific information thst was available to me without almost any effort.

But what would have been the point of my posting links to what came up on a google search when I had no idea of which ones she would be interested in

amother
Raspberry

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 5:48 pm
amother Slategray wrote:
What's wrong with it is that it smacks of asking someone to do your homework for you. They have to search, then go through and select the sites to send you. That takes time and effort.

When I ask a question, I don't expect people to start doing research, but rather asking if someone knows from personal experience.

amother
Pink

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 5:49 pm
At least give a disclaimer and and let us know why you’re posting here instead of googling. Otherwise I’m always going to recommend a Google search.

Elfrida

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 5:54 pm
I remember one thread where someone asked for help finding a specific item. Two people invested time and effort to help her, and posted links to that item. Her response was 'Keep them coming.'

Things like that put me off trying to help. She already has links to the item (and brand name) that she requested, doesn't bother to thank those who looked, and seems to think that people have nothing better to do with their time than to carry on searching the Internet for her.

amother
Brickred

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 5:57 pm
https://letmegooglethat.com/ Wink

It's an issie even with people.who have full access to the internet. Why do the work of looking something up myself when I can ask someone else to do it for me. It bothers people. And people don't want to do your dirty work of going on the treif internet for you. If you don't think googling is appropriate, don't ask other frum women to do it for you. If you want opinions, that's another story. But if the answer can be found with a google search, suggesting a google search is an appropriate response.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics