Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
Parchment paper -- dangerous to use?
1  2  Next

AlwaysGrateful

Post Fri, Jun 09 2023, 10:35 am
I've always used white parchment paper. Sometimes when it's too close to the side of the oven, I smell something from it burning, and then I move it back towards the middle.

Today I googled it just to make sure I was doing the right thing, and apparently bleached (in other words, white and not brown) parchment paper releases toxic fumes?? I can't find any obviously legit websites that talk about it either way, which makes me skeptical...

But then I looked at the box that I have, and it said it's only safe for temps up to 400.

Is this something everyone knows? I roast vegetables on 425 or 450 all the time with parchment paper underneath...

#BestBubby

Post Fri, Jun 09 2023, 10:38 am
It's sprayed with silicone.

Is that healthy?

I have been lining aluminum pans with parchment to avoid getting aluminum in food.

But not sure how healthy parchment is.

Is waxed paper better?

miami85

Post Fri, Jun 09 2023, 10:39 am
If you look long and hard enough anything is dangerous to a degree. Research DiHydrogen Monoxide if you are bored.

I wouldn't worry about it too much.

613mitzvahgirl

Post Fri, Jun 09 2023, 10:40 am
Hi.. you’re not supposed to use parchment paper for roasting vegetables.. it’s okay, you didn’t know.. when roasting vegetables use silver foil.

Laiya

Post Fri, Jun 09 2023, 10:45 am
I recently switched to one of these parchment papers
https://www.mamavation.com/foo......html

Lets_Eat_Pie

Post Fri, Jun 09 2023, 10:46 am
#BestBubby wrote:
It's sprayed with silicone.

Is that healthy?

I have been lining aluminum pans with parchment to avoid getting aluminum in food.

But not sure how healthy parchment is.

Is waxed paper better?

Wax paper is not made to withstand heat. It will catch fire and the wax part of the paper will melt if placed in the oven.

I use brown parchment (unbleached) up to about ~425 and have never had an issue. Sometimes the paper darkens but it's never caught on fire.

chili-n-cholent

Post Fri, Jun 09 2023, 10:54 am
613mitzvahgirl wrote:
Hi.. you’re not supposed to use parchment paper for roasting vegetables.. it’s okay, you didn’t know.. when roasting vegetables use silver foil.

Aluminum foil is way more toxic then parchment paper.
I never line pans with it or put into chulent for example, only parchment.
I don't see how that is a help.

613mitzvahgirl

Post Fri, Jun 09 2023, 11:08 am
Hi.. I am so sorry.. I didn’t know..
lately every time I come to comment or say something I get bashed, or frowned on.. do you realize I am a person just like you, some of you are nice, done if you I just have rachmanus on Bc all you do is have nothing nice to say.. I’m sorry I hijacked this question, I just couldn’t take this pain you’re causing

Amarante

Post Fri, Jun 09 2023, 11:13 am
Parchment paper is typically used for baking which is at much lower temperatures. It can also be used in something like a crockpot because - again - the temperature is more lower

I have never heard that cooking on tin foil is dangerous. Everyone lines their pans with foil when they are cooking something that produces a lot of mess because the sauce of marinade is going to crystallize especially

Waxed paper is not used for cooking because obviously the wax is going to melt. Before Saran Wrap was available it was used to wrap stuff - although not very effectively obviously. I do have a VERY old roll of it in my pantry because it is still the best thing to use if you are storing layers of stuff so they don't stick to each other. For example, if you are storing brownies and there are layers - or even cookies that have some soft stuff on the top. Or cut pieces of cake.

balance

Post Fri, Jun 09 2023, 11:20 am
613mitzvahgirl wrote:
lately every time I come to comment or say something I get bashed, or frowned on.. do you realize I am a person just like you, some of you are nice, done if you I just have rachmanus on Bc all you do is have nothing nice to say.. I’m sorry I hijacked this question, I just couldn’t take this pain you’re causing

It's not bashed or frowned upon - it's a different opinion.
It seems you are very sensitive - which is great! But try taking a step back and seeing that it really isn't personal. You suggested using foil, she said foil is more dangerous. Two opinions. Not personal at all.

There is a known link between using aluminium and development of Alzheimers. It's not recommended to use foil for food, especially acidic food or at high temperatures.

It's more work but I roast vegetables directly on the tray (not disposable!) and then soak it immediately to be easier to clean.

seeker

Post Fri, Jun 09 2023, 11:21 am
613mitzvahgirl wrote:

Why?
My main reason for using parchment is that nothing sticks.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Fri, Jun 09 2023, 11:24 am
Laiya wrote:
I recently switched to one of these parchment papers
https://www.mamavation.com/foo......html

Does it have a hechsher?

chili-n-cholent

Post Fri, Jun 09 2023, 11:27 am
613mitzvahgirl wrote:

The comment was not against you and I'm sorry you took it personally.
It was a factual comment to OP that aluminum foil is more toxic so it can't really help.
That's all it was, nothing personal so let's not try to make a thread about parchment paper personal.
If you would know me, I don't think I've ever said a hurtfull comment to anybody here... Gluck!

happy7

Post Fri, Jun 09 2023, 11:55 am
613mitzvahgirl wrote:

Can you explain?

Amarante

Post Fri, Jun 09 2023, 12:00 pm
happy7 wrote:
Can you explain?

I would imagine because vegetables are generally roasted at high temperatures and so it isn’t safe.

Parchment is traditionally used to prevent baked goods like cookies from sticking or it is used to line the bottom of a cake pan because the cake doesn’t stick and you peel the paper off. I sometimes will cut out circles from a brown paper bag and grease to use at the bottom of a cake pan.

Baked goods are typically baked at lower temperatures.

You wouldn’t line a roasting pan with parchment either.

Java

Post Fri, Jun 09 2023, 1:32 pm
613mitzvahgirl wrote:

Why are you making a neutral, casual topic about yourself for no reason? Maybe this is the kind of behavior that's causing you to get bashed... A little self awareness goes a long way.

ewwpeas20

Post Fri, Jun 09 2023, 1:44 pm
Java wrote:
Why are you making a neutral, casual topic about yourself for no reason? Maybe this is the kind of behavior that's causing you to get bashed... A little self awareness goes a long way.

I know you mean well but why make her feel worse?

ewwpeas20

Post Fri, Jun 09 2023, 1:44 pm
I use it all the time and I never had an issue

Java

Post Fri, Jun 09 2023, 1:45 pm
ewwpeas20 wrote:
I know you mean well but why make her feel worse?

I mean it goes both ways.. she can't just come out of nowhere and accuse imamother collectively of being nasty people

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Jun 09 2023, 5:07 pm
Amarante wrote:
Parchment paper is typically used for baking which is at much lower temperatures. It can also be used in something like a crockpot because - again - the temperature is more lower

I have never heard that cooking on tin foil is dangerous. Everyone lines their pans with foil when they are cooking something that produces a lot of mess because the sauce of marinade is going to crystallize especially

Waxed paper is not used for cooking because obviously the wax is going to melt. Before Saran Wrap was available it was used to wrap stuff - although not very effectively obviously. I do have a VERY old roll of it in my pantry because it is still the best thing to use if you are storing layers of stuff so they don't stick to each other. For example, if you are storing brownies and there are layers - or even cookies that have some soft stuff on the top. Or cut pieces of cake.

Some people want to minimize their use of foil due to dementia concerns.

And parchment paper, afaik is safe up to 425. That's what it says on the box.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars