Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Traveling with a one year old

greeneyes

Post Mon, Jul 07 2008, 9:53 pm
My husband and I are trying to plan a little getaway soon, but I have this fear that it's going to be a disaster with our one year old. She's not a fan of sitting in her carseat, and even during a short drive to the grocery store, I have to entertain her with cheerios and books. I'm wondering if it's realistic to plan a little vacation with her. We aren't looking to travel too far, definitely not more than 2 1/2 hour drive away or so.

What do you think? Can this be done? Or does it make more sense just to stay home and do a couple of local trips? There's something really nice about getting away, so I'm hoping we can figure out a way to swing it. I'd love any suggestions!

TIA Very Happy

zigi

Post Mon, Jul 07 2008, 10:38 pm
try to drive during her naptime. and give her a bottle and some snacks, she might be really cranky though but the end result would be worth it. good luck!

Rutabaga

Post Tue, Jul 08 2008, 12:06 am
I don't know if you allow your child to watch videos, but if you do then you can borrow/rent a DVD player and bring along some DVDs to keep her entertained.

Marion

Post Tue, Jul 08 2008, 12:48 am
zigi wrote:
try to drive during her naptime.

This is what we do and it works very well. We put CDs in the player until DS (2) falls asleep, then we turn it off and have (gasp) adult conversation. DS#2 (8 months) will either play with his toys or doze off also.

I don't allow food in the car (yay, no Pesach cleaning), but he does have a sippy cup, and I give him juice as a treat instead of water.

pinkbubbles

Post Tue, Jul 08 2008, 5:29 am
If public transportation is possible and easy, you can do that so she'll be entertained a little more and maybe even be able to run around. If not, maybe you can sit in the back with her? Also, driving at naptime or at night is a great idea.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics