Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Raise?

amother

Post Mon, Jul 07 2008, 11:35 pm
I have been working in the same import office for 3 years. After I worked for about 18 months, they raised me $1 an hour. How often should I expect a raise? And at what point should I ask for one? I really need the money to cover some unexpected medical expenses in the family. I felt a $1 raise was a joke, a slap in the face, but its location is very convenient - right across the street from my kids school. Any advice?

Marion

Post Mon, Jul 07 2008, 11:42 pm
$1/hour is equivalent to almost $200 month. I could use an extra $200/month.

pinkbubbles

Post Tue, Jul 08 2008, 5:42 am
I think you can ask for another raise at this point. Of course it also depends if it is the kind of job that you grew in or you took on new responsibilities as time went by. Sometimes there are jobs that the person never really gets raises, simply because there is only so much you can get paid for a certain set of skills and duties.
And maybe this time you can tell them around how much you'd like - what you think is fair. And why you deserve it.

allgood

Post Tue, Jul 08 2008, 7:14 pm
I think it is decent to reevaluate the salary you are earning once a year. If you have taken on or have been given more responsibilities than make sure to make this the focus of your request for a raise. Your added expenses doesn't mean that your boss will want to give you more. If your responsibilities haven't changed maybe try focusing on what you give to the job that is so great and hard to find. Usually a boss doesn't just come and give you a raise. They figure if your happy why should they spend more. Good luck
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics