Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Evening fussiness

tzatza

Post Tue, Jul 08 2008, 7:07 pm
DS#3 is almost two weeks old, BH, and after first week I noticed increased fussiness in the evening and night hours. How long will it last? First DS was very colicky for 3 months, DS#2 was fussy, but I don't remember for how long....

pinkbubbles

Post Wed, Jul 09 2008, 4:03 am
Colic is common in the evening hours and in the first 3 months of life.

The best things to try, in this order, are: swaddling, laying baby on side/stomach (NOT in the crib but on your lap), using some kind of white noise or heartbeat machine (they're used to noise from the womb), rocking/swinging/bouncy chair, and last the pacifier.

amother

Post Wed, Jul 09 2008, 4:16 am
I find the baby carrier very helpfull with my little fusspot.

Tamiri

Post Wed, Jul 09 2008, 4:19 am
We used the swing and vacuum cleaner method. We put the baby in the swing and turned on the vacuum. Instant white noise. With one of our kids who was persistently kvetchy, we recorded the vacuum over and over to save on electricity, and just played the cassette when needed.

justanothermother

Post Wed, Jul 09 2008, 8:05 am
DS is seven weeks old. The only thing that works to calm him between 7-10 pm is to walk in a big circle around the living room, with a swinging gait, while holding him over my arm . It doesn't work if DH does it, it doesn't work in any other room... I have to keep reminding myself that he will grow out of it in a few more weeks.

Pizza

Post Wed, Jul 09 2008, 8:21 am
We did swaddling, very snugly, for the first few months. Also used a sling (the stretchy kind, with the baby laying curled up like in utero). DH and oldest daughter got very good at the sling thing. (For lots of husbands, its the 'new macho' Wink 8) Wink )

Also, a lot of it was gas. We used 'gripe water' - worked like magic! Mylicon never did anything for my kiddies, but the gripe water was amazing.

Just keep reminding yourself it will pass. And, sleep at every available opportunity!

shopaholic

Post Wed, Jul 09 2008, 2:05 pm
Like Pizza, I keep saying it will pass but my 4 week old has been kvetch in the evenings for the last few weeks. I just bought gripe water today so we'll see if that helps. My friend lent me this: http://www.minsari.com/
which helps too.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics