Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Need packing tips!

tziviakayla

Post Thu, Jul 10 2008, 12:11 pm
We are going to a kiruv retreat next week for 2 weeks! I'm so excited, BUT I HATE packing! I'm so afraid I'll forget something. Plus, I have to pack for weekday, Shabbos, warm weather, cold nights, swimming etc. Plus, cribs for 3 kids, baby equipment, blankets for the older kids, games, toys, books. AHHH! Packing for 7 kids and myself is exhausting! (We have a 12 seater van, so space isn't really an issue.)
I don't need to bring food or other kitchen supplies..all the meals are provided. We'll purchase snacks once we are there. I don't need sheets, pillows, etc, just the kids' favorite blankets. I can't remember if they provide towels, so I'll bring a bunch of those (I did last time I went, but I don't remember if I had to.)

Does anyone have any good packing tips? I'm so overwhelmed by packing for 8 people (myself and the kids...sh does his own!)!
We leave on Tuesday!

BLUEROSE

Post Thu, Jul 10 2008, 12:15 pm
I make a pile of each childs garments- underwear, undershirts, socks, bathing suits and I then place them in large ziploc bags. That way they are not floating all over the suitcase and when you arrive its very easy to separate. The other way would be to make separate piles of all pjs, socks etc. and place it that way in the bags. Also keeps it neat. Good Luck and Enjoy.

Rutabaga

Post Thu, Jul 10 2008, 12:17 pm
Lists are your friends!

Will you have laundry facilities available? Sometimes it's easier to pack less and wash more.

Coffee3

Post Fri, Jul 11 2008, 2:01 pm
I always make a list so that I dont go over and over it in my head.
Last weekend we went away and I forgot to print my list from my computer at work.
DH forgot his bathingsuit!!
You can do a google, there are some websites that give packing ideas.

montrealmommy

Post Fri, Jul 11 2008, 2:15 pm
what I usually do is pick out undergarments per person and like, already mentioned place them in a ziplock and right the person's name on the ziplock.

then I take all personal/sentimentalmust haves (blankets, pacifiers, dolls, etc... and place them with each person's ziplock (I use the dining room table and floor).

Then hygiene, basically I raid the bathroom and each person's things go in a ziplock, familial things (shampoo, toothpate, etc...) go with my things

then clothes, to accomodate tempermental weather I try to make all the outfits do double duty, so a Skirts can be matched with 2-3 tops, some warmer, some cooler. same for boys with pants/shorts.

shabbos is 1 outfit (2 for little kids) per person and it gets washed before the next shabbos.

1 PJ's (2 for little kids) and a light summer robe for me to lounge in.

I get all meds (prescription, vitamins, OTC....) together and make sure they are well labeled.

then I take my list and check off what I have in front of me. then it gets packed with a copy of the the list in the bag.

I also believe that less is more. so you wear the same outfit 4 times, who cares! We also do laundry when we travel.

Hatzlacha and enjoy the retreat!

pinkbubbles

Post Sat, Jul 12 2008, 6:52 pm
How organized! And inspring. I love ziploc bags and lists.

morahaviva

Post Sun, Jul 13 2008, 1:22 am
I usually go thru the day in my mind and make a written list of what each kid and adult will need- toiletries for the morning, clothes, toys for playtime, bathing suits, evening clothing, nicer stuff if they need to dress for dinner, etc. Then I try to plan for out of the ordinary - I know I can always run out and get certain things if I need them, but tylenol, allergy med(if a kid is eating a lot of stuff prepared by someone else you never know if they will suddenly have an allergic reaction) bandaids, etc. Good luck!

cookielady

Post Sun, Jul 13 2008, 3:05 am
When kids were little, their whole day outfit would be in a ziploc bag, from shirt to pants. underclothes, socks.yarmallka, hair stuff for a girl etc. This way it was one bag and it had everything need to get dressed for that day. Each kid usually carried a back pack with their precious items, favorite blanket, stuffed animal, siddur, snack etc. things to read, color etc. It worked out very well when they were litlle.

Tamiri

Post Sun, Jul 13 2008, 3:31 am
When we travelled back and forth U.S./Israel, 6 people at a time, I found, too, found the bag method to be the best. However, I did not use Ziplocs. I always saved those huge clear plastic bags which comforters, pillows etc. come in, and packed each person's wardrobe in those, then tucked them in a duffel bag (space saving!). For the Shabbat clothes we had a real suitcase, to keep things neat. That's what worked best for us. And try to bring as little as possible, if you can do laundry there. The best is to bring 1-2 changes and just do laundry every night.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics