Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Chickenpox Vaccine
Previous  1  2  3  Next

imaamy

Post Sat, Feb 18 2006, 11:35 pm
I guess I'll have to count myself as one of those on this site who aren't very well-informed because I believe in vaccines. How insulting! Exploding anger

Crayon210

Post Sat, Feb 18 2006, 11:38 pm
imaamy, don't feel insulted. It's very common on this site for people who embrace modern medicine and trust doctors and the government to be called "not very well-informed".

Welcome to the club!

chavamom

Post Sat, Feb 18 2006, 11:41 pm
You know, I believe in vaccines as well, for certain things. As an RN I've been vaccinated against Hep. B and if I got a puncture wound I'd be right there for my tetnus booster. But I believe in being informed too. Know the risk/benefit analysis.

goldrose

Post Sat, Feb 18 2006, 11:45 pm
imaamy wrote:
I guess I'll have to count myself as one of those on this site who aren't very well-informed because I believe in vaccines. How insulting! Exploding anger

you said this. I did not.

BinahYeteirah

Post Sat, Feb 18 2006, 11:50 pm
goldrose wrote:
p.s. most ppl on this site are not very well informed - at least enough to transmit proper info to others. I'd say do REAL research.

I think the point of this comment was not to point out *who* on this site is not very well informed, whether pro- or anti-vaccines. I think it is just that you cannot take what you hear on a message board and make an important decision like whether to vaccinate or not. You must do your own research! Read books, look up studies, etc. Don't take our word for it.

Last edited by BinahYeteirah on Sun, Feb 19 2006, 12:08 am; edited 1 time in total

goldrose

Post Sat, Feb 18 2006, 11:57 pm
thank you bina.

Crayon210

Post Sat, Feb 18 2006, 11:57 pm
BinahYeteirah wrote:
goldrose wrote:
p.s. most ppl on this site are not very well informed - at least enough to transmit proper info to others. I'd say do REAL research.

I think the point of this comment was not to point out *who* on this site is not very well informed, whether pro- or anti-vaccines. I think it is just that you cannot take what you hear on a message board and make a decision on an important decision like whether to vaccinate or not. You must do your own research! Read books, look up studies, etc. Don't take our word for it.

No, BinahYeteirah, there's definitely a bias against those who are pro-vaccines:

goldrose in another vaccine thread on this board wrote:
here's one thread in a million, that can REALLY inform you and anyone else wishing to learn - this is from the (non jewish) NATURAL mothering.com/discussions website - the people on here REALLY know what they are talking about

Obviously these women know what they're talking about, and we should read and internalize what they say, because obviously they're well-informed: they're anti-vaccine!

<sarcasm>

goldrose

Post Sat, Feb 18 2006, 11:59 pm
crayon, I dont care where you do your research. but do it from an official place. I personally think that the people on that website I mentioned are well-infomed. that's my opinion. you dont have to agree. read whatever books you want, but it's your responsibility.

Crayon210

Post Sun, Feb 19 2006, 12:02 am
My comments were not about research. They were about an obvious bias on the part of many posters against those of us who have chosen to vaccinate our children.

goldrose

Post Sun, Feb 19 2006, 12:09 am
crayon, I hope you're not saying I showed bias in my response in this thread. I'm really trying to say that this site is not a valid source of information for basing important [health] decisions on.

BinahYeteirah

Post Sun, Feb 19 2006, 12:22 am
I have no problem what so ever with people who choose to vaccinate. In addition, I assume that the vast majority of mothers on this site vaccinate. I just think that the mothers who do not vaccinate have gone through a long process of coming to that decision that oftentimes a vaccinating mother has not. I am not saying that all mothers who vaccinate are not informed or have not done research, but it is much easier to just go with the official recommendations and feel one has made the best decision with one's doctor backing one up. When a parent considers going against those things, she has to really do a lot of work to get information. I think that is why the mothers here who question vaccines are more opinionated and post more. They frequently have had to defend their choices to their friends, families, and communities, whereas mothers who vaccinate are rarely questioned by doctors, schools, and perhaps even in their social lives. Maybe I am wrong, but I think see the vaccine-questioning posters much more frequently citing actual studies and other sources.

chavamom

Post Sun, Feb 19 2006, 12:33 am
What does 'those who choose to vaccinate our children mean'? My kids are vaccinated against some deadly diseases. Other vaccines I have opted out of giving them. They are approving more and more vaccines for children, and there are others in the works - many for diseases which are not deadly and the vaccines carry their own risks. Take the 'rotasheild' vaccine which was briefly used (and pushed by doctors) to prevent rotavirus in the late 1990's. The disease can cause nasty diarhea, but is not deadly in 1st world countries. The vaccine, however, caused a very serious complication in a number of cases and got pulled from the market. So guess what. There is a NEW AND IMPROVED vaccine against rotavirus about to get approval (actually 2 different vaccines). However, I just read a report that says while it appears that the complications of the first vaccine have been improved, they are not positive that it will not cause the same complication. Will I sign my kids up to be guinea pig for this new vaccine? Absolutely not. Does that mean my pediatrician won't recommend the vaccine when it comes out? Who knows. And this is why I say everyone needs to do their own research into the issues surrounding vaccination. Also keep in mind not eveyone is of the same risk profile. My kids are not vaccinated against Hep B, while I am. I'm a healthcare worker, for me it makes sense. For them it does not.

imaamy

Post Sun, Feb 19 2006, 10:31 am
[p.s. most ppl on this site are not very well informed - at least enough to transmit proper info to others. I'd say do REAL research.

Goldrose, is this not from your post saying most people who post are not too well informed?

Thanks crayon for welcoming me to your club. I like it!

realeez

Post Wed, Mar 01 2006, 9:51 pm
I just hope that no one who didn't vaccinate against MMR had the unfortunate luck to be in the ER waiting room of Sick Kid's Hospital in Toronto last week and sitting next to a boy there who had measles. He wasn't vaccinated and had recently travelled out of the country. He came in with strange symptoms and it was measles!

raizy

Post Tue, Mar 14 2006, 11:01 pm
so now the hospital has to contact everyone who was there in the waiting room and vacinate everyone and watch everyone. do u know what a headache it is for a hospital because of this stupid boys mother. who didnt want to give the vacine to her child for whatever reason.

explain that u anti vacinater!!!

chavamom

Post Tue, Mar 14 2006, 11:48 pm
Raizy - why are you so angry about everything? Or do you just come across that way?

Most kids are fully vaccinated and shouldn't need to be revaccinated. And the hospital doesn't have to 'watch' everyone.

chavamom

Post Tue, Mar 14 2006, 11:49 pm
And just to point out, this thread is about the chicken pox vaccine NOT the measles. There is a big difference. However, some of the issues are the same - measles is more dangerous the older you are when you get it, much the same as chicken pox.

Jo

Post Wed, Mar 15 2006, 3:55 am
I was going to stay out of this discussion, but then I thought I might as well have my say!! I am very pro vaccination in general (what a surprise LOL )
Chicken pox can certainly be dangerous if you catch it when you are older, I have a few friends who were VERY sick when they had chicken pox in their 20s/30s.
Also, it can be particularly dangerous for newborns if mum gets it around the time of delivery. The virus can pass to the baby and mum has not got any antibodies to give protection. The other subgroup who can get very sick are those with immune deficiencies.
On the whole, for healthy children it is a benign disease which doesn't usually have serious complications. We actually don't routinely vaccinate here in the UK against CP....

realeez

Post Wed, Mar 15 2006, 7:58 am
chavamom wrote:
And just to point out, this thread is about the chicken pox vaccine NOT the measles.

I am well aware that they are different, thank you!
I know that a lot of people who do not vaccinate are reading this thread so I posted it here.
Also, I have no interest in searching for another thread about measles so I could post there b/c you aren't supposed to post a new topic that anyone has ever written about!
No the hospital does not have watch everyone but all the hospitals were on alert of anyone coming in with certain symptoms. My point was it is not so simple to rely on "everyone is vaccinated so why should I?" This really hit home because my 6 month old dd who will receive her MMR only at 12 months had fever that night and had it been higher, I would have been at that hospital!

JO, it's nice to see a doctor around here! I hope you aren't bothered by the posters who think very negatively about doctors. I am definitely not one of them Smile

Jo

Post Wed, Mar 15 2006, 10:29 am
I am not at all bothered if posters are 'anti doctor.' All I ask is that it doesn't get personal.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and make their own decisions....make sure you do good research so that your decisions are based on accurate information.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics