Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
What's the weirdest gift you got?
  Previous  1  2  3 19 20  21  22  Next

amother
Babyblue

Post Fri, Aug 17 2018, 10:19 am
My old great aunt got us for our wedding gift 2 spoons!

amother
Sapphire

Post Fri, Aug 17 2018, 4:24 pm
Got a magnifying glass for me and my husband as a gift. We are in our low 20s.what do we need that for?????????

happyone

Post Fri, Aug 17 2018, 4:37 pm
amother wrote:
https://www.amazon.com/Jay-JA0027-Gift-of-Nothing/dp/B019HDSCPU

Absolutely love this idea!

amother
Blonde

Post Sat, Aug 18 2018, 4:31 pm
amother wrote:
Amother blonde, your friend sounds very sweet & you sound like an ungrateful big shot that can't accept a gift graciously because it's not a "nice gift". If your friend is socially off, her gift really shows an effort on her part.
I was a young teenager back than, if it would happen now I would understand that she tried her best... but as a teenager I was very embarrassed. also she came to my door at a busy time and other non-relatives where standing there, I was embarrassed what they would think of me receiving shampoo as a gift.

simba

Post Sat, Aug 18 2018, 9:20 pm
I got a sterling silver designer serving utensil as a wedding gift. The serving space is square shape about 4 inches by 4 inches and has a large lip at the top. I have no idea what it can possibly be used for. Looks fine on display but has no practical use that I can think of.

I received an abnormal amount of candy dishes for my wedding. Still in boxes today.

The most useful gift I got was a nice set of towels ( dark colors!). They are high quality and still get used regularly.

amother
Jade

Post Sat, Aug 18 2018, 11:01 pm
Got a gift of two glass vessels that we couldn’t Identify. Too wide to be leichter, too short to be vases, too small to be chip and dip servers, the wrong shape to hold lipsticks and mascara tubes. To this day I don’t know what they were supposed to be.

zaq

Post Sat, Aug 18 2018, 11:08 pm
Rutabaga wrote:
We got an antique-looking bell on a rope as a wedding present. We still can't figure out why or what we are supposed to do with it.

Dinner bell. Useful if you have a huge house and don’t want to shout.

zaq

Post Sat, Aug 18 2018, 11:18 pm
This thread is exactly why I always give plain, dumb, uncreative, old fashioned, impersonal, boring, thoughtless CASH.

amother
Denim

Post Sat, Aug 18 2018, 11:22 pm
I got a bra and panty set from a close family member after babysitting her kids. I was single the then and didn't know what to think. It was a nice set. Victoria secret
Didn't know I'd should feel greatful of horrified Mad

zaq

Post Sat, Aug 18 2018, 11:39 pm
yo'ma wrote:
For my ds bris, the sandek gave him a beautiful present. It was very thoughtful for bringing something, but I don't get it. He gave him a beautiful gold mezuzah charm and a gold or the color gold 1886 Argentinian 1 peso. How much could it be worth already, we don't really even know him (the sandek).

A lot you know. I know this thread is 10 years old but today an 1886 five peso argentine coin goes for around $350. A one peso would be less, of course, and it does depend on its condition, but that gift was nothing to sneeze at and even more so considering the giver was someone you barely knew. If you don’t want either gift, I’ll cheerfully relieve you of this burden.

amother
Jade

Post Sat, Aug 18 2018, 11:48 pm
neverbored wrote:
I got a set of bath towels for my wedding gift. Very standard and plain, not one of those fancy edged or appliqued ones. When we opened them, DH looked at my like "what were they thinking"?

They were thinking that when you set up housekeeping you need towels that will actually dry you off after a shower, not fancy edged and appliquéd ones that lose half their absorptive surface to the useless decorations. But since this thread is old you have probably figured that out by now.

dovebird

Post Sat, Aug 18 2018, 11:49 pm
My mil gave me a babydoll that was missing the bottom part from the set. Was 3 months after we were married. embarrassed

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Aug 19 2018, 12:03 am
amother wrote:
I got a bra and panty set from a close family member after babysitting her kids. I was single the then and didn't know what to think. It was a nice set. Victoria secret
Didn't know I'd should feel greatful of horrified Mad

She had probably bought for herself and then realized it didn't fit and so, she passed it on. I doubt she thought too much about it when she chose to give it to you. If yes, if she had specifically gone shopping with you in mind... then weird. Very weird.

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Aug 19 2018, 12:07 am
This thread is somewhat disturbing. Sometimes people especially close relatives give you things they think you can use, not as “gifts” per se but just because they think you’ll find them useful. Maybe they bought a really good ice cream scoop or toilet brush and decided that you might find it handy as well. What’s wrong with that? Maybe a bit chintzy as a wedding gift, but stam?

NovelConcept

Post Sun, Aug 19 2018, 12:19 am
amother wrote:
A very generous, well off family ive seen giv very expensiv presents ( iv seen the stuff they gave 2 acquaintance) gave us a card that said when we want, we can use their isreal apartment. I know they meant it well, and it seems generous, but it is their the type that if some1 asked them if they can use their apartment when their not there, theyd say no. Cuz they are very tough, a lil too clean and structured that they r very strict with any1 with kids. And theyd def say no if we asked( not that I wud) also not the type that theyd remember, amd from what I see hav no issues with making some1 feel uncomfortable for asking...we always said it was their way of getting out od a gift. Its still very weird so many years later. Cuz id never ask and they know wed never ask. Amd theyd never bring it up

Mistyrose, I know you are probably typing on a phone, but I just want to let you know that this big block of text replete with texting shorthand gave me a headache by the second line.

Unfortunately, though you may have had something interesting to share, I just couldn't finish reading it. Sad

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Aug 19 2018, 12:24 am
dovebird wrote:
My mil gave me a babydoll that was missing the bottom part from the set. Was 3 months after we were married. embarrassed

I'm not sure what is more disturbing: a MIL gifting her not-yet-a-mother DIL with a doll, or with one that is missing the bottom.

Were there any interesting explanations offered? shock

happyone

Post Sun, Aug 19 2018, 12:25 am
For the record, a gift is just a gesture . Noone OWES you anything and while some are interesting or amusing I'm surprised at some remarks that suggest one expects a certain caliber of gift or upset at what was received .
The fact that someone took the time, money or energy to wrap something for you is nice IMO!

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Aug 19 2018, 12:58 am
amother wrote:
I received lingerie from six different ladies after I gave birth for the first time. I was in my 40s. I can't imagine why so many people did this.

They thought your baby was so cute they wanted to (not so) subtly encourage you to go for round 2?

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Aug 19 2018, 1:02 am
amother wrote:

2) For my 25th birthday dh said he ordered me a b-day present and it would be arriving in the mail. I was so excited when I saw this HUGE box adressed to me. When I opened it, I found... A steamer (as in for dry cleaning clothes) WTH?? I never used it.

Sorry dear, on this one you are wrong. Steamers are AWESOME! In fact, I told my husband I want one for a gift!

zaq

Post Sun, Aug 19 2018, 1:43 am
happyone wrote:
For the record, a gift is just a gesture . Noone OWES you anything and while some are interesting or amusing I'm surprised at some remarks that suggest one expects a certain caliber of gift or upset at what was received .
The fact that someone took the time, money or energy to wrap something for you is nice IMO!

Maybe not so much if was used and still had dirt on it. Though it IS possible that people bought a boxed item from a store, and unbeknownst to them it had been used and returned to a cashier who didn’t bother checking first to see that it wasn’t used. Not many people will open up the box of a gift they buy when they assume it’s brand new. Especially if the store gift wraps it.
Page 20 of 22   Previous  1  2  3 19 20  21  22  Next Recent Topics