Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Good house?

ClaRivka

Post Fri, Jul 18 2008, 1:41 am
My husband and I are looking to buy a house. I looked at a house today and it was really very elegant and doesnt need too muh work done and has a very nice layout. The only thing I didnt like is the yard. Now, the reason we decided to move (among others) was because we wanted our children to grow up among grass and trees and not asphalt. It's a house on a nice little cuddlesac with 2 or 3 other houses. It has a larhe lawn in the front, but it is a hill. not really much room to do something, like play ball, if you need level ground. The back of the house, is all patio, deck, and trees. It's like a terraced look, a yard with many levels, basicly it's built into a mountain. If you were a kid, or if you have kids, would you think this is a huge problem?
It DOES have grass, it does have trees, it is really a wonderful house and I can really see ourselves living there, but this yard issue is really annoying me.

Thoughts?

justanothermother

Post Fri, Jul 18 2008, 3:19 am
cul-de-sac: a dead-end street with only one inlet/outlet.

cuddlesac: http://www.cuddlesac.com

mom23

Post Fri, Jul 18 2008, 8:37 am
House hunting is never easy, and it is close to impossible to find the PERFECT house, that doesn't need some kind of work. With that being said, I was married almost 10 years before I had a house with a real backyard. I owned another house, but the yard was pretty much non-existent.

When my kids were really little, the small yard of the first house (made up entirely of a deck) was fine, as they got older, it was not. I reluctantly took my kids out front to play, but it was always very nervewracking because of the street. One of the biggest requirements when we were looking to move, was a big fenced in backyard.

So my thought is that at some point the big fenced in yard was important to me. But I did manage very nicely for many years without it. If you have the luxury of slowly house hunting until you find your dream house, than by all means take your time. But if this is something that has potential, and you could see yourself living there for sometime comfortably, it is totally managable to live happily without it.

Also just a thought to consider - is it possible to fence in the front yard?

Clarissa

Post Fri, Jul 18 2008, 8:44 am
justanothermother wrote:

I was going to make a similar post, but yours is so much cuter than mine would have been!

Tamiri

Post Fri, Jul 18 2008, 8:58 am
Plenty of kids grow up in apartment buildings without a yard.

ClaRivka

Post Fri, Jul 18 2008, 10:01 am
Clarissa wrote:
justanothermother wrote:

I was going to make a similar post, but yours is so much cuter than mine would have been!

You can't just accept that I made a mistake! Now my whole thread is going to be abt a stupid typo....

ClaRivka

Post Fri, Jul 18 2008, 10:02 am
Tamiri wrote:

And I don't want my kids to grow up like that.

justanothermother

Post Fri, Jul 18 2008, 10:58 am
I'm sorry, I thought it was cute. I have this picture in my head of living in a cuddlesac and everybody is all snug and huggy and yummy.

ClaRivka

Post Fri, Jul 18 2008, 10:59 am
justanothermother wrote:
I'm sorry, I thought it was cute. I have this picture in my head of living in a cuddlesac and everybody is all snug and huggy and yummy.

that is a cute picture! Smile

zigi

Post Fri, Jul 18 2008, 11:37 am
the kids could ride bikes on the patio and deck if they are little and they could play ball on the patio. they can dig around the trees .and they can run around on the hill. it doesn't sound so bad if the rest of the house is really nice. good luck I hope you find the right house!

Tamiri

Post Fri, Jul 18 2008, 11:41 am
RivkiA wrote:
Tamiri wrote:

And I don't want my kids to grow up like that.

The point is, kids will be happy/unhappy no matter what. I don't think the yard is such a biggie, especially since there is some room out there. So, they won't play soccer? Maybe you will have girls who won't be interested in that anyway. I have lived in 2 houses with yards and the kids always played in front shock . Now, I live in a house with a small back yard and they use it occasionally, but they mostly go to the park.

mommy24

Post Fri, Jul 18 2008, 11:42 am
We lived in a building that had for many years with our kids, we went to the park, etc it was annoying bec I couldn't just send the kids out, but I don't think they were missing anything from living in an apartment. We then moved to a house on a large property that has a nice sized backyard - but there is not one peice of grass ,it is dirt and rocks and cement. my kidslove it the same. honestly kids make due with what they have and my kids loved the backyard from the moment we moved in- they definately don't feel they are lacking- they can play ball, have their pools and sprinklers, and ride their bikes all in the same area. Some ppl I know who had the same problem put down the fake grass- that seems to work for them, I just never found it necessary.

ClaRivka

Post Fri, Jul 18 2008, 11:49 am
All good points, thank you!

Toot

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 3:10 pm
Will your kids potentially be friends with neighbors' kids? Growing up we had a swingset in our yard and the kids from down the block always used to come and play. And when we would get bored of our yard, we would go over to theirs. Sometimes non-ideal situations can be for the best, and help your kids socially!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating