Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Sephardic Food
Best sefardi cookbook
1  2  3  Next

LO

Post Fri, Jul 18 2008, 12:04 pm
My husband would really like me to make more sefardi stuff, but he doesn't know names of most things he tasted....I think he just likes that type of food in general, rather than specific items....So, I was wondering, what is the best sefardi cookbook with EASY recipes, kind of like the sefardi equivalent of the purple Lubavitch cookbook. Or, a good web site with recipes would also work, I just can't google it because I don't know names of recipes, and can't distinguish what's good and what's not.

Thanks! Smile

Lady Godiva

Post Fri, Jul 18 2008, 12:13 pm
I love Deal Delights. (the first one)

LO

Post Fri, Jul 18 2008, 12:32 pm
Where can I buy it? I live in L'wood.

Lady Godiva

Post Fri, Jul 18 2008, 12:33 pm
I have no clue where they sell it in Lakewood but usually Jewish bookstores carry cookbooks. Try the local Jewish bookstores.

LO

Post Fri, Jul 18 2008, 12:37 pm
I didn't see it in Lakewood, that's why I'm asking...Smile

octopus

Post Fri, Jul 18 2008, 12:48 pm
maybe it's in deal, nj? LOL

LO

Post Fri, Jul 18 2008, 1:07 pm
No offense, but I don't understand why everyone is giving funny replies, as if I'm asking some super-dumb question and don't know that books are sold in bookstores, and books from Deal organizations would be sold in Deal.... Confused Let's try to be dan l'kaf zechus and assume that I'm not really THAT dumb.... Exploding anger

May be I didn't make myself clear....what I was asking is: I know that many times these types of organizations have individuals that are responsible for the sale, so if anyone would know who they are, I could call them and get the book (may be ask someone to bring it, etc.) without having to shlep to Deal....Or may be this organization has a web site that I could order from?

See, that wasn't such a bad question, was it? LOL

Thanks again! Smile Any other names of cookbooks are still welcome, btw!

tovasmom

Post Fri, Jul 18 2008, 1:40 pm
Try eichlers.com. My favorite sephardic cookbook is Sephardic Holiday Cooking by Gilda Angel -- geared more toward traditional holiday recipes from several different sephardic countries.

Lady Godiva

Post Fri, Jul 18 2008, 2:57 pm
LO wrote:
No offense, but I don't understand why everyone is giving funny replies, as if I'm asking some super-dumb question and don't know that books are sold in bookstores, and books from Deal organizations would be sold in Deal.... Confused Let's try to be dan l'kaf zechus and assume that I'm not really THAT dumb.... Exploding anger

I didn't find my replies to be humorous in any way.
Just trying to help.

octopus

Post Fri, Jul 18 2008, 2:59 pm
I think the OP was referring to my post.
sorry.

Lady Godiva

Post Fri, Jul 18 2008, 3:03 pm
happy2BaMommy wrote:
I think the OP was referring to my post.
sorry.

But you were right. She can find it in Deal. Wink

OP, here ya go sweetie: 866-802-3453
(found # on the web)

pinkbubbles

Post Sat, Jul 19 2008, 6:49 pm
Maybe an Israeli cookbook in English would help?
Also, have a look online like on Amazon- you would be suprised at what kind of cookbooks you can buy!!
Plus, theres nothing like getting recipes from family/friends whose food he mentioned he likes. They are usually 'family recipes' and you won't find those in a cookbook.

TheBeinoni

Post Sat, Jul 19 2008, 9:21 pm
OP - I too live in Lakewood. You can find "Aromas of Aleppo" in Z. Bermans for sure, and I'm sure you could also find in Judaica Plaza. Just call ahead to find out so you dont have to waste a trip. But I know that Z Bermans (in Chateau Plaza) for sure has at least 3 copies.

Aromas of Aleppo is like the Syrian bible to cooking. It has EVERYTHING. If you are looking for more Moroccan, North African stuff tho, I dont know. YOu can always just come to me and I'll give you cooking lessons free of charge! Smile

TheBeinoni

Post Sat, Jul 19 2008, 9:23 pm
Also... just look online. Best resource in the world. I refer to this website a lot:

http://www.jewishfood-list.com......html

mommalah

Post Sat, Jul 19 2008, 10:40 pm
Thank you so much for posting the link to that website. I had found a recipe for am awesome cheesecake there a few years back(while searching on google) that I printed, but disorganized fool that I am never put it in a place I'd be able to find it again. I would go online like every shavuos looking for it, but not knowing the website made it really difficult. This previous shavuous I searched for like half an hour, found nothing, and ended up making a cheesecake I really disliked. I clicked on the link just now and knew from the font of the homepage that this has got to be the website that has the cheesecake. Thanks so much. You just made my night! Very Happy

babygirl

Post Wed, Jul 30 2008, 11:12 am
No I dont think that the deal delights cook book has a number of who to call and there are no judaica stores in deal actually it could be from the bikur cholim...hm if you want I can find out....

pacifier

Post Wed, Jul 30 2008, 1:14 pm
I have "a fistful of lentils", syrian recipes.
the recipes are well written, and there are little stories from relatives and friends of the author.

compared to it, the "deal delights" is more americanized.

as for other sephardic foods, I have a book but it's not in english... sorry!

oh, and hotmama, I might be interested by your cooking lessons. If you find a way for me to cook more syrian like, or even more morrocan, without having to use all those vegetables that I don't like.... !!!!

TheBeinoni

Post Wed, Jul 30 2008, 4:52 pm
Quote:
oh, and hotmama, I might be interested by your cooking lessons. If you find a way for me to cook more syrian like, or even more morrocan, without having to use all those vegetables that I don't like.... !!!!

what veggies? like okra (bamia)? I never make that. Barely anyone in my family likes it! What other veggies don't you like? I cant imagine what else could be weird other than okra...

either way you are invited anytime! maybe we can substitute the veggies you dont like for something else!

yogajew

Post Wed, Jul 30 2008, 5:06 pm
I also love "Aromas of Aleppo." It is a beautiful book that I just sometimes sit and read, even when I don't want to cook something. There are a lot of gorgeous photos inside.

For Moroccan food I recommend "The Scent of Orange Blossoms" By Kitty Morse and Danielle Mamane.

I've made a lot of Sephardic recipes from "The Foods of Israel Today" by Joan Nathan. Another good one is "Olive Trees and Honey" By Gil Marks. Both of these books contain a mix of recipes, but Sephardi cuisine is well represented.

I bought all of these books used on amazon because I also don't like running around in bookstores looking for things and finding nothing.

Raisin

Post Wed, Jul 30 2008, 6:53 pm
I have a book called the book of Jewish food by claudia roden. it has got both ashkenazi and sefardi food, but the sefardi section is much thicker. it seems pretty comprehensive, and would be a great place to start.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics