Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Sephardic Food
Best sefardi cookbook
Previous  1  2  3  Next

pacifier

Post Thu, Jul 31 2008, 12:15 am
hotmama, I think I can count on my fingers the few vegetables that I like..... you might regret your invitation... lol

TheBeinoni

Post Thu, Jul 31 2008, 12:52 am
pacifier wrote:
hotmama, I think I can count on my fingers the few vegetables that I like..... you might regret your invitation... lol

So then ya know what? Forget the veggies! We'll just toss 'em! ...Or we can drown them in yummy delicious sauce so you won't be able to taste them!

pacifier

Post Thu, Jul 31 2008, 10:34 am
but then it won't have the syrian flavor... that's my problem. besides the no peas/green beans/cabbage....(add most vegetables that you know about], I'm a no onion, vinegar, ketchup nor other sauces. and no tamarind nor grape leaves b/c machmir in kashrut.
it leaves me with allspice as only mean of making my food a bit like syrian!!!

I do make stuffed squash from time to time ,but it doesn't look at all like my mil's mechshi!!

TheBeinoni

Post Thu, Jul 31 2008, 1:38 pm
ok the onion thing is tough. I put onions in nearly everything (except for my morrocan fish), but vinegar, ketchup we can maybe get past. does this mean you dont like any tomato sauces either, though? hmmm.. you sound pretty ashkenaz to me! Tongue Out

im serious there are tons of things you can make to get around all of that stuff. not everything needs tomato sauce. maybe you will be missing the syrian flavors but it sounds to me like you would like moroccan cooking!

pacifier

Post Thu, Jul 31 2008, 1:39 pm
tomato sauce, I make my own. mediterranean style, like can of crushed tomatoes, olive oil, garlic salt, parika, thyme and other herbs

pacifier

Post Thu, Jul 31 2008, 1:41 pm
I mean I can adapt a lot of recipes, butit won't have the typical syrian or morrocan flavor.

I guess I should make a cookbook about sephardi foods for the most picky eater!!!!

TheBeinoni

Post Thu, Jul 31 2008, 1:52 pm
that's exaclty how I make my tom. sauce! I dont use the jarred such. YUCK! so not authentic! Tongue Out

what I lvoe about cooking is that you can make it your own - thats the fun it in!!! good luck! I'm sure your food comes out great anyways!

montrealmommy

Post Thu, Jul 31 2008, 2:29 pm
www.booksforcooks.com is a fabulous storeIRL and on line - they are based in BC - they have a wonderful mediteranian and middle eastern section - incl. many kosher cookbooks. I have a number of french ones - if you can use those, I will add the titles and authors.

Other than that - I second all the books previously mentioned (I have them all and use them!) - also, there is one called la cucina aerabica - mostly italian kosher cuisine with a lot of italian sfardi stuff - really nice - very much enjoy it!

There is also Kosher Cajun and Kosher Creole, which although focus on the mixing pot of New Orleans have a very heavy Sfadi influence in the cuisine style

pacifier

Post Thu, Jul 31 2008, 4:06 pm
oh, I also have an italian cooking book. basically, if you want to give an italian flavor to your food, you'll use garlic, lemon, basil,herbs, tomatoes, peppers..... with fresh pasta and a cup of wine. lol.

ruth

Post Fri, Aug 29 2008, 2:29 am
Copeland Marks: Sephardic Cooking

Viviane & Nina Moryoussef: Morocann Jewish Cookery (this is an excellant book except it not written by professional food writers and it is an English translation of a French book. Some of the recipes call for "a glass of oil" which I have assumed is the size of a tea glass (american juice glass- about 3.4 oz?)

Edda Servi Machlin: Classic Cuisine of Italian Jews

bonnie

Post Thu, Oct 02 2008, 10:12 pm
I dont think they make Deal Delights anymore.
The best advice I could give you is to find someone who has it and photocopy it.
However, aromas of aleppo is by the same author and basically covers it all with beautiful photos.
WARNING= Mine has all splatter marks on it!

Lady Godiva

Post Thu, Oct 02 2008, 10:19 pm
bonnie wrote:
The best advice I could give you is to find someone who has it and photocopy it.
However, aromas of aleppo is by the same author and basically covers it all with beautiful photos.

They don't and I just saw Aromas of Aleppo over the holiday and it's beautiful!! Definitely a cookbook worth buying if you want to cook Syrian style.

Mommish

Post Thu, Oct 02 2008, 11:18 pm
One of my favorites is called "For the Love of Cooking" by Rae Dayan. You can probably get it on Amazon. I make her lahmageen recipe all the time & she even has a recipe for perfect rice, tehina, most of the basics.

jemappelle

Post Thu, Oct 02 2008, 11:25 pm
aromas of allepo is awesome, received it as a gift last chanuka - the author gives great easy to follow instructions and everything I've made from there has been great!
for the poster who mentioned kashrus in respect to tamarind sauce - jerusalem glatt on kings highway sells it with a very good hechsher.

bonnie

Post Wed, Oct 15 2008, 10:46 pm
Lady Godiva wrote:
bonnie wrote:

They don't and I just saw Aromas of Aleppo over the holiday and it's beautiful!! Definitely a cookbook worth buying if you want to cook Syrian style.

One caveat= There's no "prep time" and there's no "quick tips"
It's very hard if you don't already have a basics and a working knowledge of syrian cooking. Rae Dayan is good because her book comes with a dvd= so you get to see things with a demo.

LO

Post Thu, Oct 16 2008, 8:38 am
I just bought Deal Delights Classics, and although it is made by the Syrian community, it is NOT sefardi recipes! Some are Sefardi-type, but it's definitely NOT a sefardi cookbook, more like Sefardi variation on Ashkenazi food. In fact, the inside cover specifically says that these are recipes from OUTSIDE the Syrian-Jewish community...and it has recipes for pizza, egg rolls, and other such stuff.
I was a little surprised, since so many people on this site recommended it, and wanted to let you guys know, so nobody buys it with the same expectations that I did, and then has to return it (like I will).

TheBeinoni

Post Thu, Oct 16 2008, 9:21 am
If you want REAL Sephardic food... check out the books in Israel. unfortunately they are all (obviously) in Hebrew, but if you can handle the directions yourself or have someone you know help translate, that is the most authentic way to go. Or... check out non-Jewish middle eastern cookbooks. Those will be most authentic as well, and many times they are not hard to make Kosher, except that many middle eastern foods combine cheese and meat.

bonnie

Post Thu, Oct 16 2008, 10:21 am
LO wrote:
I just bought Deal Delights Classics, and although it is made by the Syrian community, it is NOT sefardi recipes! Some are Sefardi-type, but it's definitely NOT a sefardi cookbook, more like Sefardi variation on Ashkenazi food. In fact, the inside cover specifically says that these are recipes from OUTSIDE the Syrian-Jewish community...and it has recipes for pizza, egg rolls, and other such stuff.
I was a little surprised, since so many people on this site recommended it, and wanted to let you guys know, so nobody buys it with the same expectations that I did, and then has to return it (like I will).

There were three versions of Deal Delights:

1. Deal Delights One- which was a MUST for any newlywed getting married a billion years ago ( like me). It came in a red binder

2. Deal Delights Two- which was also great. It came in a white binder

3. Deal Delights Classic ( which I have) is NOT the same thing, and has really none of the red and white recipes. Honestly, I don't use it that much.

That's why I said, find someone who has the old red or white cook book ( or take it out of someone's archives?) and copy it. They both come in a binder, so it's easy to photocopy. Sorry about the mixup.

Aromas of Alepo is by the same author and will give you a much better back ground.

TheBeinoni

Post Thu, Oct 16 2008, 10:26 am
LO - you live in Lakewood, correct? So do I! PM me if you want recipes and/or photocopies. You can take a look at the books I have (I have some Syrian, some general Sephardic).

Imaonwheels

Post Thu, Oct 16 2008, 12:44 pm
I am trying to find if any of Pascal Peretz's excellent Sefardi cookbooks have been translated. So far google has produced someone submitting one of her recipes to bigoven.com. I have her books on North African, Kurdish and Parsi cooking in Hebrew.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics