Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Baby Hates the Car
1  2  Next

shopaholic

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 7:10 pm
....and for that matter, the carriage too. Whether I use the jogger or snap & go, she cries, sometimes even screams, whenever we go out. Today she screamed all the way back from Boro Park, even though I was rocking the car seat the whole time. She was so sweaty by the time we got home. I have to go back to work next week & desperately want to go to the mall tomorrow but I'm freaked out about her crying while I drive & walk around. Aren't babies supposed to calm down when wheeled or driven? Anyone else ever had this?

Tehilla

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 7:17 pm
my daughter screamed in the stroller and car, but especially the car. most kids get used to it, but I want to tell you that she didn't stop crying until she had a forward facing car seat. and another friend had the same experience.

it was kinda shocking to me since my first absolutely loved the car.

Pickle Lady

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 7:20 pm
Mt second also hated the car. It was awful everytime we went anywhere.

gryp

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 7:22 pm
My Srolik did the same thing. He stopped once we turned him around and he was able to see me.

Rebshosh

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 8:06 pm
My son HATED the car and stroller for the first few months. He used to cry so hard he'd stop breathing, it was so scary. BH when he was five-six months and able to play with toys better he started liking it. Now the only time we have a problem is if we are in the car for a very long time, like a few hours. He loves the stroller now and it it always relaxes him.

Helani

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 8:09 pm
My last baby was the same. I tried to skip the car rides as much as possible or at least to keep them as short as possible. And I just carried him in a sling or front pack instead of using a stroller. After he was old enough to sit and look around some (3 months or so) he got happier about being in the stroller.
Why don't you just carry her when you go to the mall? Good luck! This too shall pass. Smile

shoy18

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 8:31 pm
my dd HATES anything on wheels, she screams no matter what, its gotten better but I still can never take her anywhere without 3 sets of hands and patience to end up holding her most of the time.

Tehilla

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 9:02 pm
Helani wrote:
Why don't you just carry her when you go to the mall? Good luck! This too shall pass. Smile

well for me...my baby hated the sling, baby bjorn, anything but being held by me. with a 19 month old at the time, and having to carry the baby and try to shop for food it just didn't work out well. it was quite difficult for some time, and then eventually being some natural homeopathic treatments and stuff and her getting older she calmed down. even now though she's a very close, clingy-ish child, although happy B"H.

shopaholic

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 9:10 pm
Well, it's nice to hear this isn't unusual. I am going to take my sling/wrap with me & I hope that soon, when she can focus better on toys, I can distract her with that.

anonymom

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 10:19 pm
Tehilla wrote:
my daughter screamed in the stroller and car, but especially the car. most kids get used to it, but I want to tell you that she didn't stop crying until she had a forward facing car seat. and another friend had the same experience.

it was kinda shocking to me since my first absolutely loved the car.

One of my kids (the one with sensory issues-but we didn't know about all that at the time) screamed every time we went to put him in the car. He was fine when we changed him to forward facing even though he was somewhat short of the required weight/age)

Helani

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 10:36 pm
BTW, this stroller/car hating baby of mine is also my most easy-going and confident child.

mumoo

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 11:22 pm
I had one who hated the car when it stopped, but was fine when moving. We al learned to dread (and to avoid) red lights. She is a besutiful, helpful and well-adjusted 11 yr. old.

Another cried in the car, moving or not. Two fabulous families took over my camp carpool turns for the whole summer until dd got over it. Also well-adjusted, if a little too confident and independent.

The thing with children and their mishegas, in the relative scheme of things, its over in a blink

shopaholic

Post Mon, Jul 21 2008, 9:12 am
Mumoo - that's what I keep saying to myself. I see my friend's 3month old, my 6 month old niece, my friend's 8 month old & they are so much happier so I know this will pass.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jul 21 2008, 9:15 am
I'm wondering... did you take the car a lot during your last month(s) of pregnancy? I did, and my daughter LOVES the car.

Tehilla

Post Mon, Jul 21 2008, 9:46 am
Ruchel wrote:
I'm wondering... did you take the car a lot during your last month(s) of pregnancy? I did, and my daughter LOVES the car.

I did.

mumoo

Post Mon, Jul 21 2008, 10:22 am
seems 80%of my time is spent in the car... I think I have carpool tunnel syndrome Smile

shopaholic

Post Mon, Jul 21 2008, 5:38 pm
Ruchel, every day I was driving to & from work - 1/2 hr each way.

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Feb 03 2020, 12:33 pm
Any tips??? Any toys that work? Our car rides are terrible! He just keeps crying until we get home especially at night if we take him out in the air he’s fine

ra_mom

Post Mon, Feb 03 2020, 12:46 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
Any tips??? Any toys that work? Our car rides are terrible! He just keeps crying until we get home especially at night if we take him out in the air he’s fine

In my experience it's motion sickness and a spacial imbalance. Talk to your doctor about Dramamine. And if at any time he shows signs of any OT issues like low muscle tone, advocate for OT therapy since it really helps with imbalance and getting used to motion. The earlier you get him OT therapy, the more effective (until age 3 it's the most effective).

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Feb 03 2020, 1:09 pm
My baby hated the car too at the beginning. I think 2 things helped: 1. Getting a mirror for the carseat so I could see her and she could see herself/some of what was out the window (something to look at when rear/facing), and the pacifier. With the stroller, once I had her in a stroller where she could face forward and see things, she was much happier.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics