Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
WHAT SHOULD I DO?!?!

amother

Post Tue, Jul 22 2008, 6:19 pm
I've been working 9 years now, 7.5 in my current job. I, unfortunately, have no degree of any sort. I'm making a DECENT salary (even though I work part-time) and get family health insurance. (We have a one-year old child, b"h.) My husband is also working, but does not earn enough to cover our bills. He also needs to have a decent health plan due to a health condition he has.

Problem is, my work situation is INSANE. My boss is an irrational nutcase. The yellings going on sometimes are terrifying. The workload is CRAZY. The pressure is mad. The situation over the years is just getting worse. As said, I work part-time now, but have to put in time every night at home to be able to cope. (Even with all that overtime, I'm still not coping and the workload just keeps piling up.) Whoever I complain to tells me to just tell my boss that he needs to lessen my workload. This is not going to happen. He'll tell me to hire s/o to help me out. I don't have time to sit w/s/o for a year to train her in. And if she finally learns e/t, he'll just continue to pile on the workload since he'll claim there are now two pp. doing the work. The guy is just one crazy person. You can follow up w/him 10 times to find out what to do about a situation, and he'll come back to you in the last possible second and you'll have to scramble to finish things off on time. I also have a crazy amount of responsibility.

What am I supposed to do? Finding s/t else is not going to happen. Who needs someone with 9 years of work experience on a part-time basis and would be willing to pay them a decent salary along with health insurance?

I sometimes feel like I'm going crazy. HELP!

ChossidMom

Post Tue, Jul 22 2008, 11:39 pm
Sorry to hear you're having such a rough time at work.
You have to make your shikulim and decide if you want to remain at this job. If you are truly miserable, can't you start looking for something else? This is not the last job in the world. Nothing is worth being totally miserable over. When I hate a job I find a way to leave it or it just destroys my life.
Behatzlacha!!!

amother

Post Wed, Jul 23 2008, 12:03 pm
Thanks for responding. Problem is, I just won't be able to find a job with a decent salary on a part-time basis that will give me health insurance....

NotInNJMommy

Post Wed, Jul 23 2008, 12:08 pm
How do you know you won't? Is it worth trying?

Until then, you might want to learn effective and professional ways to set limits and communicate with your boss, and also more ways to destress.

At my job, the managers pile work on until you say "hold it! out of x,y,z, only 2 can get done on time and with good quality. Which are your priority? Which needs more in depth work, which less?" Just saying yes all the time usually just results in 1 thing: getting pushed to staying late and taking work home CONSTANTLY. I think keeping work out of home or limiting after work to fewer nights/week, and sticking to it, will set some healthy boundaries and push work out of your home life--which causes tons of friction.

Post Wed, Jul 23 2008, 12:17 pm
You have a few choices:
1. Find a new job- that's gonna be really tough in today's market, but I guess you never know

2. Hope your boss changes his ways- probably NOT gonna happen, especially if you don't say something to him (which perhaps you can't)

3. Change your ways- which sounds like you have one way to do by hiring someone else.

Truthfully, #3 sounds like your best option and I can't really think of any others.

TwinsMommy

Post Wed, Jul 23 2008, 12:41 pm
I used to have a position like this---- too much responsibility--- too much to do, nobody understood how long things took.

So I typed up my to do list every evening and put it at the top of my inbox right where my boss could happen to see it. She started to get into the habit of looking at it and making changes to it and crossing things off that she could take off my shoulders. I didn't honestly get along with her all that well, but I appreciated that she started to understand what my work load really was.

Leaving a long typed to do list in your in box or on your desk every evening might work wonders-- your boss might just happen to take a glance once in a while. If not, show it to him!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics