Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Home schooling

challi

Post Thu, Jul 24 2008, 7:41 pm
I want to home school dd, she'' be 3 in the fall, but where do I start? Are there web sites, cirriculum ideas etc. Can I even start wit this age. Is there anyone who homeschools that could give me advice?

luckyme

Post Thu, Jul 24 2008, 8:23 pm
Because she's so young, you might start with the local preschool or kindergarten and ask them what they look for the child to be able to do by the end of the school year. If you belong to one of the major warehouse clubs, they have great activity books for preschoolers like this for alot less:
http://www.amazon.com/Comprehe.....img_b
This will also give you an idea of what she should be learning.
Google in your state to see requirements for homeschooling, but generally you wouldn't need to register her as homeschooled until she's much older -at least 5, in my state it's 7.
I think its a terrific idea to "teach" them at home this young, but be very careful that you make it lots of fun and respect your daughters attention span, which at 3 is pretty short. Switch the learning up with physical activities, arts/crafts and free play time and she will not only learn alot, but love it!
Keep in mind that in addition to the basics (colors, shapes, letters, etc.), you should also teach her how to put things away like her shoes & coat, toys, crayons & supplies and raise her hand to ask questions. Cutting with scissors, sitting quietly for "storytime" or while others are "sharing" are also great skills.
This book is a great resource:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/07615.....e=as3
and there are countless websites with great ideas out there.
Feel free to PM me with any questions, I "homeschooled' all of mine until K or 1st grade and am now homeschooling my teenage daughter (she doesn't want to go away and there are no girls schools here).
I have been the art director at a Jewish camp for many years and have lots of fun crafts for little ones if your interested, too.

Mama Shifra

Post Sat, Jul 26 2008, 11:49 pm
I used for My First Parsha Reader, which is geared to ages 4-8 years old children. My husband and I both like it because it is simple, with very little medrash. Often when Parsha is very medrash oriented the children get confused when they learn the actual Chumash later. For information about yomin tovim, you could use the ArtScroll Children’s Holiday Series by Yaffa Ganz (published by Artscroll), which has Bina, Benny and Chagai HaYonah. For a child of 3, you would need to read slowly (a page or so a day)and review the information many times. Torah Umesorah has a preschool curriculum also. I saw Shiffy Goldstein's 334 Ideas: The complete activity handbook for Jewish Day Schools & Camps and Batya R. Wolvovsky Plan to Product and Plan to Product: Its About Time . Plan to Product has its own website www.plantoproduct.com.

For crafts, I used Earthways: Simple Environmental Activities for Young Children by Carol Petrash. Many of the craft ideas can be tied into the Jewish holidays.

If you want to "cover" all the secular curriculum areas, Playful Learning: An Alternative Approach to Preschool by Anne Engelhardt and Cheryl Sullivan (published by La Leche League) is very good.

Just a warning, if you are the only one homeschooling your child in your neighborhood, be prepared that he/she may be lonely!

Happy Mom

Post Sat, Aug 16 2008, 11:46 pm
It's very helpful when you're first starting out to connect with other homeschoolers, and since there probably aren't many wherever you live, the internet is a good resource. Torch-d at shamash.org is a discussion list serve for frum homeschoolers where you can ask your questions, and also there's loads of info in the archives, so sign up and spend lots of time reading.

I don't think you should call it homeschooling your three year old, though, even though mentally you may be considering it that. That's because a child this young doesn't need any structured learning; they benefit just from keeping them close to home, doing whatever you do at home together with her. Read books, play games, go shopping, have her help you cook/bake for Shabbos, etc. Just relax and enjoy your time together. There are lots of craft and activity books available at the library and you can adapt the ideas for your needs.

Feel free to pm me if you'd like; I'm entering my ninth year of homeschooling. I have eight children, ages infant through 15, all of whom are at home (though my oldest son began attending a local yeshiva high school last year is now only homeschooled for the secular subjects). If there's something I can share that would be helpful, I'm happy to.

greenfire

Post Sun, Aug 17 2008, 12:13 am
a child does not need school at age 3 ... and everything we do with them is a lesson in progress ...

as for homeschooling it can have it's ups & downs ... the kid would have to be motivated ... and socially they need friends ...

each child has a different learning capacity - so keep an eye on your child's personality and if it is working for that specific child ...

good luck !!!

amother

Post Sun, Aug 17 2008, 1:07 am
HappyMom, is that your picture on that website?

LeahU

Post Sun, Aug 17 2008, 10:11 am
Curriculum of the arts, by Tzirel Jacobs and Sarah Totenstreich has lots of excellent ideas and an integrated approach.......using multiple intelligences.

Mama Shifra

Post Sun, Aug 17 2008, 11:52 am
LeahU wrote:
Curriculum of the arts, by Tzirel Jacobs and Sarah Totenstreich has lots of excellent ideas and an integrated approach.......using multiple intelligences.

Leah--

Where do you get this Curriculum of the Arts?

Shifra

LeahU

Post Sun, Aug 17 2008, 12:01 pm
I bought it in Judaica World in Crown Heights, but I am sure that it is available in other Jewish stores-try Eichlers for instance, or other Jewish teacher supply stores. Even Amazon.com is a good try....

alpidarkomama

Post Mon, Aug 18 2008, 12:06 am
Hi, all you happy moms! We're a VERY happy homeschooling family (but out there in the world we call it private tutoring and seem to get less flak for it). My kids are 5, 3, 2, and 10 months. We have "learning time" every day from 10-1. I'll outline more in a post later, bli neder, I'm in a rush right now, but it was so great to see other homeschoolers here. Can we start our own community somewhere??? We love living our educational life this way. The best advice I got for 3 and 4 year old "education" is just read, read, read. And explore. It's a wonderful thing for a parent to guide their children. More soon......

Aidelmom

Post Mon, Aug 18 2008, 1:35 am
What I'm not getting something here. It used to be that school didn't start until first grade or maybe kindergarten , before that age I assumed preschool was started because of women working. How can it be called home schooling to have a 3 or 4 yr. old at home- don't think they need school at all.

challi

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 12:06 am
aidelmom, I want to start teaching her (she'll be 3 this fall) but then I'll probably continue for a while. But I want to do more than just lets have fun at home with mommy becasue so many of her peers are in preschool and learning things, and she's with me ( where I feel she should be till she's older)

Happy Mom

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 12:56 am
What's wrong with just having fun with mommy?

The curriculum in the schools is very much based on parental pressure, not on what's best developmentally for children. So even teachers of young children have to describe every fun project as something 'educational' to show the parents.

Anyway, how much do you think three year olds are learning in preschool? Their colors, some numbers, and they hear about the parsha? That's not hard to do without a formal approach with your child at all. Really, don't get caught up in the concept of 'teaching'. Young children are sponges and they pick up everything. And really, what is most important is for her to spend time with you, and that's really all she needs.

challi

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 1:20 am
I'm not looking for formal. I'm looking for direction, thats it for right now. I'm not sure what to cover with my kid. I would like to teach parsha mayeb informally too, but I neeed ideas.

There is absolutly nothing wrong with fun with mommy, whta I meant was that I didn't just want to play all day and miss integrating what I should into the play. I want her to learn from vrything we do, I just wanted to know what to do.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics