Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Where do you do your shopping?
Previous  1  2

ora_43

Post Sun, Jul 27 2008, 5:01 am
Oh, and about transporting groceries:
In Jerusalem we lived near all of the major Talpiot stores, so I would walk and bring everything home in the stroller, or sometimes the stroller and a backpack. It was hard, but I needed the exercise. Ditto for otzar haaretz. I would stop in the shuk if I was in town anyway.

Now I take the bus up to Alef, and bring things home in a backpack. Dh also takes the bus when he goes to shufersal. It's definitely worth it, the money I save in Alef just buying a single package of diapers already pays for the bus fare. I only go when dh is home though, b/c I can't imagine trying to shlep both kids and groceries on the bus. I usually just take dd #2.

JerusalemEema

Post Sun, Jul 27 2008, 1:26 pm
I live in Jerusalem. I have started doing my shopping on the internet through City DIrect. It is AMAZING! Run by frum people, and very reliable. Fruits and veggies are more expensive, but otherwise stuff is same or sometimes even cheaper.
eilamomer@gmail.com

chana

Marion

Post Sun, Jul 27 2008, 1:58 pm
Before DS#2 I would buy fruit/veggies/eggs at the shuk and shlep them home. Now they've rerouted the bus, and I've gotten my hands on a car (thank you Mr. Employer), so I go once every 2 weeks to Rami Levi, and the in between runs (dairy products) to Mr Zol (which is NOT so zol, but the dairy is pretty regulated). This year fruit & veg is a special trip to the Otzar haAretz store; if I'm lucky Rami Levi has kedushat shvi'it fruit and I can buy that at the same time. After DS#2 and before I had the car I started ordering online at shufersal yashir; it was worth it to me to pay someone else to do the shlepping once a month.

mimivan

Post Sun, Jul 27 2008, 5:56 pm
Imaonwheels wrote:
Mimivan, there is a way to save money in the mecolet. paamonim even recommends it as the overall spending is less because of the lack variety and things you don't really need.

Fruit and veg is cheaper in the shuk, but only on certain days. But the shuk scares me during shmitta, Too easy for those out of tomatoes to quickly take from the basta next door, esp because for some stupid reason the charedi stores think their Arab workers don't need to be constantly supervised. I don't think shefa and such charge much more.

Milkics and bread you should buy in the mecolet.

For you, Of Anash delivers to the door. They have a moked artzi where you call and they bring it to you. They have sales going on now and have (as nearly all places do) box sales before chagim. If you order a carton of chickens and split with a friend you may get it cheaper. My ds is their agent between Eli and Petach Tikva. He would like to branch towards Y-m but the biggest customer in that direction,Tel Tzion, has their own guy. They also have fish and frozen foods.

That is a scary thought about veggies and the shuk. Dh is very careful where he buys. Oaf anash is great, but I have such a tiny, tiny freezer.

I don't think the macolet is much more expensive for certain things.

I used to go shopping and shlepp back on the bus, but that was when I only had one baby...and since dh drives, it is easier to make it his job. Yes, he needs additional bags or a backpack.

momto7

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 3:25 am
I shop in "Aleph" once a week and bring stuff home with taxi. Actually dh does it before Shabbos. whatever we need to fill in during the week is makolet.

Pizza

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 3:54 am
And, here I thought I had heard of most of the frugal shortcuts...

What is Of Anash?
Whats the number?
Do they deliver out of J-m?
What hechsherim do they carry?
Will they cut up a chicken for me?

(How much do they charge per kilo, is there a delivery charge?)

momto7

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 5:29 am
I would love to try this online shopping. looks cool. are there any other stores who have that availability

TAPS

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 6:07 am
Another on line option is: Shufersal Yashir

http://www.shufersal.co.il/supersol_he/

(supersal on the internet)

Fruits and veg are heter mechira though.

willow

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 6:14 am
What days do you think the produce is cheaper?
When I lived in Y-m I shopped the shuk (mostly because is was fun:) Now I go to Rami Levi and fill in from shefa shuk. My dh used to get the produce once a week from a shul that sold it super cheap, but it became such a bother for him, that he'd rather I spend the extra money and buy in rami levy.

ChossidMom

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 8:14 am
My husband does most of the shopping in Shefa but they have gotten VERY expensive lately, especially on fruits and veggies. Barkol is much cheaper so I usually stop in there a couple of times a week to see what they've got. We have a car so we never do mishlochim. Aleph is outrageously expensive on produce. Maybe it'll improve when the changeover to "Yesh" takes place after Tisha B'Av.

Marion

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 8:18 am
Now that I have a car I do Rami Levi every 10 days or so. Before that (after DS#2 was born) I was ordering from Shufersal online and having it delivered. Before that DH and I would take turns making small runs to Mister (not so) Zol, the shuk, or the makolet.

lst

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 9:36 am
ChossidMom wrote:
My husband does most of the shopping in Shefa but they have gotten VERY expensive lately, especially on fruits and veggies. Barkol is much cheaper so I usually stop in there a couple of times a week to see what they've got. We have a car so we never do mishlochim. Aleph is outrageously expensive on produce. Maybe it'll improve when the changeover to "Yesh" takes place after Tisha B'Av.

how do you get to the barkol is kiryat sefer? I dont know my way around really, I only know where shefa shuk is and where aleph is.

ChossidMom

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 9:40 am
Have you any idea how many Barkols we have here? Well neither do I! There are quite a few.

Here are a few: Chofetz Chaim (on the right side as you go up the street)
Netivot Hamishpat 5 (that's the one I usually go to). If you go there be informed that there is an upstairs where they have all the non perishable stuff.
Avnei Nezer 18
There's another one down at the end of Netivot Hamishpat (near the 90's)
There is a brand new one in Brachfeld on Rechov Yehuda Hanassi.

pm me if you want any details. produce is really much cheaper there!!!

Pizza

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 9:40 am
With 6 kids (KAH) and 3 of them are teens, we eat a LOT of food
I have started rationalizing thusly:

If I go to Aleph or ShefaShuk (dh calls it cheremshuk) I have to take a taxi back, there's too much to shlep on the bus. That costs me 13 nis.
If I go to the makolet, even tho they cost a bit more, over 400 nis the delivery is free. Also saves me the shlepping. My energy is worth something.

So, dh goes to cheremshuk once a week (usually Friday) for staples, and I fill in at makolet during the week. Also, makolet carries otzar bais din stuff, the supers dont... so we anyway get most of our produce from the makolet.

Despite all the shopping and cooking that goes on, if you ask anyone in my house, there is nothing to eat.

shock

ChossidMom

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 9:50 am
Pizza wrote:

Despite all the shopping and cooking that goes on, if you ask anyone in my house, there is nothing to eat.

shock

LOL LOL Same here!!!

miriamnechama

Post Thu, Sep 11 2008, 11:31 am
I heard the shuk cheapest day is tuesday but I'm nbot sure.

I shop all over beitar... andw ith vegies try to look out for the sug bet as it's cheaper...

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Sep 11 2008, 3:41 pm
when we just moved to the gush we started to shop at rami levi in talpiot. we found that the shop was very large and the prices were pretty decent.
then I became pregnant and it was hard for me to walk a lot so we just went to the local store in efrat (I dont remember what its called)
but then we found out that it is a bit over priced and have decided to go back to rami levi for a big shopping.
last week we were in ramat eshkol visting some friends and we went to a local super market there, yesh, and it is pretty cheap as well but we figured that the petrol that we are waisting is not worth it, its a bit out of the way.
we did go to rami levi in beitar ONCE but found that the basari stuff there was majorly over priced for us so we have not gone back there.

ABC

Post Sun, Nov 16 2008, 5:42 am

Last edited by ABC on Sun, Jul 05 2009, 12:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

Marion

Post Sun, Nov 16 2008, 5:56 am
City Direct is www.dcity.co.il, but I've been unable to access it for the last week.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions