Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
To Dye.. or not to Dye... that is the question....
1  2  Next

TheBeinoni

Post Sun, Jul 27 2008, 10:37 pm
Wow I must be bored.. So I was talking to DH about my hair (I just recently decided to start cutting it myself, I mean, who sees it anyway? It's not like DH ever noticed when I got a new haircut! Why spend the $20+ ?). Then I was thinking I wonder how I would look with BLONDE hair - I have dark, dark, brown hair. I have a fair complexion though. So DH and I decided it would be funny if I dye my hair.. and if I look hideous I can just dye it back!

Pre-marriage I NEVER EVER EVER dyed my hair. I always have had healthy, strong, shiny, easy to work with hair, B"H, so I never wanted to touch it. But now, I feel like why not play around with it? If it comes out a total disaster, it won't matter anyways!

Does anyone have experience with dying their hair at home? Can you recommend any good pharmacy brands? I want to go blonde so how do I do that if I have dark hair?

TIA! Colors WOOHOO! I'm psyched!

Lady Godiva

Post Sun, Jul 27 2008, 10:41 pm
I don't know but be very careful...you don't want it to come out brassy looking. Maybe do a test patch somewhere under your hair if it's possible?
I still have virgin hair. embarrassed

TheBeinoni

Post Sun, Jul 27 2008, 10:42 pm
Yes, LG we are virgins, it seems, in the hair dept. LOL

btw, whats with the beauty forum?? That would have totally been the place for this post...

Also, I am not going platinum blonde but maybe like a dirty blonde?

Cdlf

Post Sun, Jul 27 2008, 10:43 pm
Just buy the brand on sale-take the lightest, blondest, color bec. you're dark and follow the directions. You may come out a little reddish if you're dark and go blond. But who cares. And then please answer the question for all of us "Do blondes have more fun?!"

Lady Godiva

Post Sun, Jul 27 2008, 10:44 pm
I PMed Yael. It's still in the unopened sent mailbox.
Maybe go honey color instead of blonde? Blonde is so drastic for a brunette.

Last edited by Lady Godiva on Sun, Jul 27 2008, 10:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

TheBeinoni

Post Sun, Jul 27 2008, 10:44 pm
Well, I won't really be able to fully assess that time old question because half the time I will be dark (my sheitel!) but at home I will be blonde.. then again, its the inside that counts no?

hmm... shall keep you updated!

Chani

Post Sun, Jul 27 2008, 11:35 pm
I can't believe how timely this thread is! Just this morning I was looking at how my hair is getting more and more "salty" and decided to color my hair. I bought Revlon hair color and did it myself tonight. Just finished drying it a few minutes ago, and it came out terrific if I do say so. My hair, pre-sheitel days, was naturally med brown with a lot of red highlights (lots of redheads in my family). Now after so many years of covering my hair it's just a dark mousy color with a fair amount of grey sprinkled in. But tonight - voila! It is medium/dark auburn, and the grey, which colored to a lighter red, looks just like natural highlights. It looks very similar to my color before I was married, and the hair came out feeling very soft and manageable.

TheBeinoni

Post Sun, Jul 27 2008, 11:36 pm
Mazal tov on the new color! You should continue to feel young and lively! Smile

Any tips?

Chani

Post Sun, Jul 27 2008, 11:41 pm
Not really. I just followed the instructions in the box, and it came out fine. It did say something about doing a test piece of hair (recommended cutting a small lock off to test with), but I didn't bother b/c I figured worst case if it looks awful, well, it's covered 95% of the time anyhow.

greentiger

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 3:02 am
I tried to and ended up with a reddish tinge and nothing more.

sgr

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 3:13 am
Funny my DH always jokes I should go Blond am very dark brown thats going quite salty gotta do it soon.
you just have to be careful that no blonde sticks out of your Brown wig,that could look pretty awful.that is why I would never do it.Hope you get a nice colour that works for you. Smile

Seraph

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 3:59 am
I dyed my medium brown hair auburn, I was afraid of doing anything too drastic, but I'm happy with how it looks.
go to the pharmacy, see if theres a sales lady in that department, and ask advice... I know in superfarm in israel they have ladies willing to help you, give you tips, find the perfect color, etc...

Toot

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 11:43 pm
Also, make sure your husband doesn't mind mismatched hair and eyebrows - mine can't stand it! He honestly can not understand why people dye their hair colors drastically different from their eyebrows.

Good luck though!!

Maybe I'll dye mine auburn... good idea Seraph!

Tefila

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 11:52 pm
OP Now I finally understand your username confession I knew it wasn't just the peppers Twisted Evil

egam

Post Tue, Jul 29 2008, 10:19 am
I'm almost all grey already Sad . So I was contemplating dying my hair. When I asked my husband maybe I should dye my hair, he looked at me as I've just fallen from the Moon and asked 'Why?'. Oh well. One thing I know for sure he wouldn't care or notice one way or another. So I might still do, even if only for myself to feel better.

freidasima

Post Tue, Jul 29 2008, 10:21 am
What about streaks?

greenfire

Post Tue, Jul 29 2008, 10:29 am
hm ... I've dyed many peoples hair before ... never mine ... it can dry the hair out ... if you are dark you need the right bleaching to get it to the lighter shade you want it ... good luck ... ask at the beauty supply store like sallyl's they can guide you ... ! and let us know if blondes really have more FUN !!!

queen

Post Tue, Jul 29 2008, 10:33 am
Lady Godiva wrote:
I PMed Yael. It's still in the unopened sent mailbox.
Maybe go honey color instead of blonde? Blonde is so drastic for a brunette.

I moved this thread into the correct section......

OP- did you ask your dh what he thinks of the idea?????

tovasmom

Post Tue, Jul 29 2008, 11:29 am
I've been threatening my dh that I would go blonde for years, and each time he has looked at me like I've grown an extra head...really also just wanting to know whether blondes really do have more fun. Haven't had the guts to pull the trigger, although the grey is now creeping into the dark brown (which is almost black now due to covering it). And there is the eyebrow issue -- I too think it would look weird with different color eyebrows. And a funny question for those who have dyed and drastically changed their color, do you recognize yourself after you do it?

Mimisinger

Post Tue, Jul 29 2008, 11:38 am
DON'T DO IT!!!!!

I had never dyed my hair until I got married. Then I decided, to go PINK! Well, needless to say, it was PINK for a while and then went copper, there are parts 3 years later that you can still see. What a mistake. The pink stuck out of my fall, my sheital and my tichels. It ruined my hair (btw, I have black hair). If you want to go blond, you have to first strip your hair and then dye it. Ugh, don't bother, it totally ruined my hair.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics