Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Queens/FR/5T boys schools

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 29 2023, 1:58 pm
It would be so nice if we had who to ask irl but we don't so any help would be really appreciated.

We're looking for mainstream boys schools, not yeshivish though that has a strong education for both kodesh and chol.

These are the schools I have seen:
YKLI
Yeshiva Ketana of Queens
Darchei of Far Rockaway
Yeshiva of South Shore
HALB

If there are any more I haven't mentioned that anyone can tell me about please let me know

Thank You!

Ima03

Post Sun, Oct 29 2023, 3:26 pm
Tiferes moshe in queens

amother
Sage

Post Sun, Oct 29 2023, 4:22 pm
YKQ is great, my brothers went there. My family is yeshivish but nothing in Queens is really yeshivish. When I was growing up TifMo was considered the less yeshivish one. The day schools are obviously the least yeshivish.

seeker

Post Sun, Oct 29 2023, 5:26 pm
Darchei and Tiferes Moshe I think are much more yeshivish than the others you mentioned. They're not hard-core super yeshivish but you wouldn't usually have a hard time choosing between, say, those vs HALBs. On the other hand, South Shore and YKLI seem more middle of the road and could go either way.

Aronov

Post Sun, Oct 29 2023, 7:16 pm
Theres a new one that opened up .
Call cheder of queens.
My son goes there.
I love it.

amother
Steel

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 1:21 am
HALB - MO, but more on the right of that (separate classes) as opposed to HAFTR which is mixed for elementary
South Shore - a mix of MO and JPF (boys will go to MAY, DRS, Rambam, and some more RW schools)
Darchei - community RW school with a big mix (not MO but different types to the right) but the hanhala is yeshivish and I've heard they're trying to move the school more that way. Classes are separated by neighborhood.
YKLI - I wouldn't place this to the right or left of Darchei because Darchei is such a mix. YKLI is much more homogeneous and much smaller, 2 classes per grade. More of a 5T crowd. But definitely to the right of HALB or South Shore. I've always felt like if you tour it and meet some parents, you'll know if you fit in, because either you do or you don't. It's a bit of a fancier crowd.

I would say that HALB and Darchei are the ends of the spectrum -- you wouldn't choose between them directly.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 28 2023, 9:18 am
For the KGH crowd, what's is Yeshiva Ketana Of Queens like and is there anything g else?

amother
Lightpink

Post Tue, Nov 28 2023, 11:36 am
Quote:
For the KGH crowd, what's is Yeshiva Ketana Of Queens like and is there anything g else?

I don't live in Queens anymore, but when I did live there, I sent my boys to Tiferes Moshe. We were very happy. We moved before my boys reached middle school, so I can't tell you that part.

A nice majority of the student body is from chofetz chaim families.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics