Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Crib

proudmom

Post Thu, Nov 18 2004, 4:46 pm
Whenever I want to put my 2 year old son in time out I put him in the crib and now I have a problem he just learned how to climb out. Any suggestions what I should do to put him into time out?

ForeverYoung

Post Fri, Nov 19 2004, 1:25 am
I feel for you - the newly aquired freedom is a big exitement.

2 possible solutions:

1. move him to a big bed, congratulate him on becomng so big & make a deal out of it - now he can sleep like parents, sibling, etc

2. (from "What to expect") do not react (any reaction is an entertainment at this age). calmly take back to bed and say now it's time to sleep, we will play tomorrow, good night. This may take a few repetitions (get ready! Wink) but most of the times eventually the point gets there.
Make sure not to make times 'out' fun - no drinks, extra hugs (this is a hard one), last thing to say - straight back to where he came from

Let us know how it went!
good shabbos

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sat, Jan 15 2005, 11:29 pm
Sorry I'm so late in replying to this message...I'm still pretty new to this board.
About time outs -
As a teacher, I learned that time outs shouldn't be a time you leave the kid alone and he can do what he wants. It should be a time that you're there WITH the kid, he should be facing NOTHING that will entertain him and it should be the amount of minutes as the age of the child (so 2 min for a 2 yr old).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics