Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
What's your favorite make-up brand?
1  2  3  Next

Zus

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 3:03 pm
There are several that I like:
I have lots of (professional) stuff from Il-Makiage that is absolutely great.
And on the other end of the scale, I use a lot from the dirt cheap brand Beauty Care which has some good stuff too like their eye shadows and eye pencils.

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 3:09 pm
I like MAC and Clinique.

ClaRivka

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 3:12 pm
CLINIQUE!

Maya

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 3:13 pm
For foundation, I started using only Chanel. I have three kind, for different occassions. I hate cakey makeup, so I searched for the one that looked the most natural.

The lipsticks that works best with my sealer are Clinique colors. And I use Lancome eyeshadows.

I own too much makeup, from almost every company. I'm always changing my look and colors, and try out different companies. The conclusion I came to is that everything, besides for mascara, lasts much longer if it's from an expensive brand. I use drug store brands too, but need to reapply them every 2 hours or so.

blueyes

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 3:18 pm
I like Perscriptives (especially their foundation) and mac. My sister just got stunning eye shadow from sephora which I need to go buy!!!

Barbara

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 3:48 pm
These days, I'm using a lot of Vincent Longo. Their Water Canvas foundation is absolutely amazing, and the mousse eyeshadow doesn't budge. I also like a lot of Stila (particularly the tinted foundation), Laura Geller (great lip gloss) and Nars (lipsticks), as well as MAC and Clinique. Yes, I am a makeup-aholic. Is that a bad thing?

ShirleyTemple

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 3:53 pm
If you saw my thread, I just purchased Mac.

I've been using Mary Kay before hand. Used Clinique but stopped since I was told it's JUNK... I gave Perscriptives also a try... Janet Sartin, Estee Lauder, Borghese, etc...

I tend to get bored from my makeup collection, and purchase new ones every so often!

cassandra

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 3:58 pm
I like simple makeup. I don't wear foundation unless I'm going to a wedding but I do wear tinted spf moisturizer every day, and the best I've found is Laura Mercier.

The rest of my makeup is Trish McEvoy, except for mascara which is cheapy drug store brand and some lip glosses.

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 4:03 pm
ShirleyTemple wrote:
I've been using Mary Kay before hand. Used Clinique but stopped since I was told it's JUNK...

So you liked it just fine until someone told you it wasn't any good? Why'd you use it if it was junk?
How do you define junky makeup?

I've had good experience with Clinique's eyeliner, gloss, and certain eyeshadows. Didn't seem junky to me. It had a decent amount of pigment and stayed on well.

I just think it's strange that you didn't realize it was junk until someone told you.

Personally, I don't think their foundation is so wonderful, and I don't like several of their products (I basically only buy a gloss that I love from them and a specific eyeliner), but I didn't use it happily and then need to be told that it wasn't good!

Last edited by DefyGravity on Mon, Jul 28 2008, 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

Clarissa

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 4:04 pm
I don't wear makeup very often, but I like Estee Lauder, Clinique, Almay (for mascara) and Lancome. I used to use MAC powder, but now I use something else. For cream, I like Clinique, Lancome and Eucerin. Mostly, I decide on the basis of giveaways. I have a thing for those little, free makeup bags with the goodies inside. I give a lot of it to my mother, because I don't wear lipstick or foundation and only like Almay for mascara. But it's just too much fun opening up the bag to see what's inside. It's my Jewish girl version of checking out my x-mas stocking.

ShirleyTemple

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 4:11 pm
DefyGravity wrote:
ShirleyTemple wrote:
I've been using Mary Kay before hand. Used Clinique but stopped since I was told it's JUNK...

So you liked it just fine until someone told you it wasn't any good? Why'd you use it if it was junk?
How do you define junky makeup?

I've had good experience with Clinique's eyeliner, gloss, and certain eyeshadows. Didn't seem junky to me. It had a decent amount of pigment and stayed on well.

Ok.. I wasn't really refering to the eyeliner, gloss, etc... What I mean with JUNK is the foundations & concealers... I was told that it's not so good for the skin.... Well.. You might have heard different, but for me, dealing with acne and all that, it was a good enough reason to discontinue their products...

Maya

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 5:34 pm
Clarissa wrote:
Mostly, I decide on the basis of giveaways. I have a thing for those little, free makeup bags with the goodies inside. I give a lot of it to my mother, because I don't wear lipstick or foundation and only like Almay for mascara. But it's just too much fun opening up the bag to see what's inside. It's my Jewish girl version of checking out my x-mas stocking.
I can always be bribed with those little things that come in the makeup bags as gifts. In fact, my grandmother just tricked me into going to visit her by promising me the new bag of Lancome gifts she just got. I came home with 3 tubes of lipstick, and an eyeshadow quad. How great is that? Very Happy

Lady Godiva

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 5:43 pm
I'm biased since I sell my own makeup so I'd go with my own.
Other than that, I don't really have a favorite brand. I have favorites from each brand.
Here are a few: Clinique's foundations and lipsticks (some). Maybelline (pink and green tube) Great Lash mascara. Victoria's Secret Beauty Rush Lipgloss. Mac Lipglass.

cassandra

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 6:03 pm
Lady Godiva wrote:
Maybelline (pink and green tube) Great Lash mascara.

That's the one I use. Every makeup artist I've ever used has used this mascara, so I took a hint.

Maya

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 6:04 pm
cassandra wrote:
Lady Godiva wrote:

That's the one I use. Every makeup artist I've ever used has used this mascara, so I took a hint.
I also use that one in clear. I gotta check if they have it in a brownish color.

Lady Godiva

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 6:05 pm
cassandra wrote:
Lady Godiva wrote:

I've tried tons of mascaras including really expensive ones and I always come back to this cheap one.

chaylizi

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 6:06 pm
clinique and bobbi brown
the makeup artist by my wedding used laura mercier. I don't mean to brag, but it came out really good

Last edited by chaylizi on Mon, Jul 28 2008, 6:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

costanza

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 6:06 pm
Have you heard of Paula Begoun (not sure of spelling)? She researches and writes books about make up and creams and all beauty products and has been on talk shows. All of the make-up is essentially exactly the same. The stuff that costs $50 for 2 oz. at the make-up counter and the stuff that costs $5.99 at the drug store are identical - and often times the cheap stuff is better.

I use Cover Girl.

montrealmommy

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 6:08 pm
I really enjoy the Physician's Formula lines (reg. and organic) - there are no extra chemicals and it is very very allergy friendly - and it really lasts!

Maya

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 6:10 pm
micfri wrote:
Have you heard of Paula Begoun (not sure of spelling)? She researches and writes books about make up and creams and all beauty products and has been on talk shows. All of the make-up is essentially exactly the same. The stuff that costs $50 for 2 oz. at the make-up counter and the stuff that costs $5.99 at the drug store are identical - and often times the cheap stuff is better.

I use Cover Girl.
Was this said about makeup too, or only skin care creams?

I mentioned above that I find the cheaper brands to be good, but they don't last. I need to reapply them every so often, while the more expensive brands stay on all day. Especially eye liner and blush. For eyeshadow I use a primer underneath, so the cheaper brands stay on. Without the primer, they're off in about an hour.

But maybe that would depend on the skin type?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics