Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Is eye make-up necessary?
1  2  Next

Raisin

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 2:27 pm
Does everyone "need" to wear eye make up, or do some people have enough colour on their eyes naturally that they don't need it?

I have green eyes, dark lashes and brows, and if I try and put on liner and eye shadow I end up looking like a clown.

what am I doing wrong? Crying

Raisin

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 2:30 pm
also, I think I look quite ok without it. and I can't help noticing that many women (teenagers, young people) are wearing far far too much of the stuff and look completely horrific. I'm scared to look like that.

mummiedearest

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 2:33 pm
I advise you do as I do:

don't wear it. I only wear some to a simcha, and then it's barely noticeable. I haven't perfected the slathering technique and don't care to. if I want to look nice I wear contacts instead of glasses.

yo'ma

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 2:34 pm
I have blue eyes, a light complexion, and light eyelashes. I don't always wear make-up, but when I do, it's usually just eyeliner. It makes such a difference. Not only do I look better, but I don't look so dreary and tired. That being said, I haven't worn the past few days, because my eye keeps on bothering me and I keep on rubbing it, so there's no point.

shosh

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 2:36 pm
It depends on the person, I think.

When I was single, I used to wear it, but then my dx disapproved and I stopped.

I recently started wearing it again bc I noticed that I was looking too tired and pale without it. It makes huge difference to me.

I think, though, that you have to put it on in the right way, understating it. If you put on too much then you would look a bit clownish. As I have blue eyes, for example, I use a little blue eyeliner and mascara (which I only put on my upper lashes), rather than black, which is much too loud for me.

yOungM0mmy

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 2:39 pm
why dont you wear a light colour? I have dark brown eyes, long dark lashes, and dark eyebrows. I wear a medium brown with a highlighting light brown. If you have a light colour near the inside of your eyes, it is supposed to open them up. Also, try a brown liner, not black, only on the outer bottom part of your eyes - you dont need top and bottom. My eyes are my best feature, so I play them up (very simple rest of face), and find that the right colours make my eyes brighter.

Lady Godiva

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 2:51 pm
Raisin wrote:
Does everyone "need" to wear eye make up, or do some people have enough colour on their eyes naturally that they don't need it?

I have green eyes, dark lashes and brows, and if I try and put on liner and eye shadow I end up looking like a clown.

Not everybody NEEDS eye makeup. Some people do have enough color that they don't look washed out but I'd always put eye makeup on them anyways for a complete evening makeup look. For everyday makeup, some women can get away with just lip gloss.
Maybe you are putting it on wrong or too much. Try sheer eyeshadow. If you want to wear eyeshadow, I can tell you how to apply it so that it looks most natural.

Raisin

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 2:58 pm
Lady Godiva wrote:
Raisin wrote:

Not everybody NEEDS eye makeup. Some people do have enough color that they don't look washed out but I'd always put eye makeup on them anyways for a complete evening makeup look. For everyday makeup, some women can get away with just lip gloss.
Maybe you are putting it on wrong or too much. Try sheer eyeshadow. If you want to wear eyeshadow, I can tell you how to apply it so that it looks most natural.

How?

Also I wear contacts, and eye make up bothers them (not so much recently, but for a simcha I do). Actually at my wedding the make up artist put on eye make up. I told her that I'm wearing contacts, so she should be careful. She said her make up won't bother my contacts.

well, every single picture after the chuppa I look like the wicked witch after a bad night.

what colour is sheer eyeshadow? and what brand would you recommend? I have some cheap eyeshadow. If I knew which was the right colour I would get a good one. And I thought of asking the girls at the make up counters, but they usually have the most horrendous clownish eye make up.

I just want to enhance my natural beauty. Not mimic cleopatra.

Lady Godiva

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 5:49 pm
Always use hypo-allergenic eye makeup to help prevent irritation.
Sheer is not a color. Sheer means not opaque which means that your skin will show through under the shadow.
You don't have to buy expensive eyeshadow. I've used eyeshadows from the pharmacy and I was happy with them.

You say you have green eyes and dark lashes and you want a natural look. Here's what to do:

Get three color eyeshadows for yourself. Get a sheer cream colored one, a sheer light pink colored one (or lavender if you want more color) and a sheer brown colored one that is two or three shades darker than your skin tone. Buy a pencil eyeliner in either dark brown or black and mascara in black or brown-black.
Apply the cream colored shadow on the entire eye area from the lashline to the brow bone. This will be a base for your eyeshadow and a highlighter for your brow bone.
Next apply the light pink shadow on your entire lid.
Now apply the the brown shadow in the crease of your eye (under the brow bone) back and forth in a windshield wiper type motion to create depth.
Using the eyeliner aim towards the lashes and draw a thin line over the lashline as close to the lashes as possible. If you have a hard time doing this, just dot gently over the lashline into the lashes and smudge it with a q-tip for a soft line. Then line the bottom lashes, again aiming toward the lashline. A sharpened pencil helps the line come out thin and perfect.
Apply one or two coat of mascara. Start by the lashline and shimmy your way to the tips.

Good luck!

Barbara

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 6:27 pm
Raisin wrote:

No one *needs* eye shadow. Most of us look better with it, though.

Sheer, neutral colors will enhance your eyes. Liner (applied in a *thin* line at the lashes) will make your pupils look bigger.

My advice for a novice is to go to a makeup counter or Sephora (if you're in the US) at a time that's not busy, and ask for help. Tell them that you're looking for a natural, neutral look. I'd probably recommend Bobbi Brown or Clinique, since both lines tend to have more neutral colors; POP Beauty also has sets geared towards specific eye colors. Its nice to buy *something* if they spend a lot of time with you, but unless you agree to it in advance, you're not obligated. Have them write down the colors, then see how they look and feel after a couple of hours.

Remember that good brushes (which don't have to be expensive) make all the difference in the world.

flowerpower

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 6:31 pm
I love mascara. I think it adds a lot to the persons face. About the rest, I don't know bec. I don't do more then that.

dora

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 6:37 pm
I have tiny eyelids so I don't bother with shadow, it doesn't show, but I sometimes wear liner, pencil not the liquid kind 'cause I don't know how to apply it expertly.

TheBeinoni

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 6:38 pm
Raisin - I have similar eyes to you (sounds like it..). For day to day, I put some concealer under my eyes to brighten them, then I curl my lashes and put a little mascara. My lashes are very long so I don't need a lot. You can use clear mascara if you want even.

Occasionally if I have time and am in the mood then I will take a liner brush (the bristles are very small, narrow and short) and line the bottom of my eye with some light, sheer shimmer shadow in a white or cream. It's a great way to brighten up your eyes and bring out the great green color in a natural way and not a "colorful" way per se.

Toot

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 7:10 pm
I also look clownish with liner, so I stay away from it. I stopped wearing makeup for many years, but I've started up again since I wear hats on shabbos, and I look like a complete ghost if I'm not wearing eye makeup, since the hat casts a big shadow on my face.

I got a Maybeline eyeshadow from Amazing Savings, and it is my best friend. I use the lightest color up to my brow, tan-ish on my lids, and purple or brown (dark) in the crease, depending on what I'm wearing. Then I put on a bit of mascara - I actually wipe off the brush so it's not gloppy. I skip the liner because I can never get it close enough to my lashes and there is always a gap. As it is, I wouldn't wear this much makeup without the shadowy hat...

Good luck Raisin, there's no pressure to wear makeup and some people don't need it - but it can definitely enhance your natural beauty!

Edited to change Cover Girl to Maybelline - how could I make that mistake?!

Tefila

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 9:08 pm
I have bluish greenish eyes changes depending on what I wear no exxagerating it's true people are always asking if I wear contacts 8)
However I have lightish eyelashes and need mascara and eye liner more importantly then anything else on my face Wink

Teacup9

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 10:07 pm
I don't think it is necessary for the dark lashes and light eyes you are describing.

I wear a brown gel or pencil eyeliner, mineral powder in the summer (creamier foundation in the winter), and try to remember chaps stick. I find most mascara to be too heavy but the small brush one meant for lower lashes is good.

I wish I knew how to do eye make up. I've heard that light base color to the brow, medium shade over the lid, and contour shade in the crease but I have no skills and look like a clown. I wish I could learn but the store make up artists I see (no offense to anyone here) just don't look like anyone I'd want to look like. I even did my own wedding make-up! Maybe next time I'm on the west coast I'll get a lesson.

For the pros what colors look good on brown eyes, dark lashes/eye browns but pale/pinky skin? I feel like all brown eyed stuff is for olive complexions.

TheBeinoni

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 10:14 pm
teacup why not try some pinks or purples or golds/creams? shimmer and matte together.

Beauty and the Beast

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 10:24 pm
teacup, I find that there is so much to do for brown eyes.
I have hazel, brownish eyes, and pale skin. I use pinks, lilacs, light yellow, light green, violets, gray ( my favorite...)

The best thing you can do is use a dark navy liner for those who have brown eyes. It really makes your eyes pop.

another key for eye makeup is to not match your eyes to your liner. In order to bring out your eyes, you need to have some contrast. It can be subtle, but so beautiful.

for blue eyes, I love bronze liner, brown, black, and gray.
for green eyes I love brown, black,and eggplant.
for brown eyes I love just about any color besides brown...

TheBeinoni

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 10:28 pm
Beauty and the Beast wrote:

for green eyes I love brown, black,and eggplant.

I have hazel eyes with orange specks. I use like to do a dark navy/blackish mix smoky eye, but DH hates dark makeup!

How would you do black? (I'll never wear it or DH will freak out, but I love trying this stuff for fun)

Teacup9

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 10:31 pm
Beauty and the Beast wrote:
teacup, I find that there is so much to do for brown eyes.
I have hazel, brownish eyes, and pale skin. I use pinks, lilacs, light yellow, light green, violets, gray ( my favorite...)

See maybe I look at myself weird or I am doing things WAY wrong but I feel like anything pinkish brings out any tired red in my eyes (I find visine is the best make up trick) and yellow just clashes with my skin. I've really tried every yellow/gold/butter shadow because yellow is my favorite color. Greens and grays/slates seem too cold on warm skin. Purples and blues are too bright.....so I'm left with browns/taupes/creams.

I should try navy liner again. I remember trying some that were too blue and I need to find a true navy.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics