Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
SOFT potatoes

youngmom

Post Mon, Dec 05 2005, 8:36 pm
for the friday night meal, I've tried so many different recipes for potatoes and whatever I do it'll always come out dry after it's on the blech.
anyone have any advice or a recipe for potatoes that won't be dry after being on the blech?

deedee

Post Mon, Dec 05 2005, 8:38 pm
I cook my potatoes under the chicken so they are in the sauce. they taste delish and stay soft.

youngmom

Post Mon, Dec 05 2005, 8:40 pm
any specific recipe, deedee?

deedee

Post Mon, Dec 05 2005, 8:45 pm
nope...I just slice them and layer the bottem of the pan. I put the chicken on top of potatoes, sprinkle with spices, add a little of water, cover and cook.
I dont use a blech I keep food covered in the oven. I turn it up really high b-4 shabbos then shut it off.

shoy18

Post Mon, Dec 05 2005, 10:11 pm
me too deedee I always just put the potatos under the chicken and they stay soft

or you can make potatos sepratly, potatos, oil, and spices, and cook them a little less than you normally would that way when you cook them on the blech they will just finish cooking

shopaholic

Post Tue, Dec 06 2005, 10:28 am
I do the same as DeeDee (under the chicken) & I also leave the oven off when Shabbos comes in. The food stays warm for a couple of hrs. I also make another kind:

Wash the potatoes well.
Chop them into small pieces.
Add oil, paprika, onion soup mix, salt & pepper & mix.
Bake uncovered, but they take a while so do it a few hrs b4 Shabbos & mix them every 15-20 minutes or so so they don't stick to the pan.

BlumaG

Post Tue, Dec 06 2005, 10:45 pm
we do mashed potatoes
put some creamer or soy milk in with margrine use mixer v creamy n delicious

SMG

Post Wed, Dec 07 2005, 3:08 pm
I sometimes put the potatoes under the chicken, and sometimes instead of seasoning I just use a jar of duck sauce. If the potatoes cook too much, they don't dry out, they just get a little crispy or carmelized.

TzenaRena

Post Wed, Dec 07 2005, 3:25 pm
we always have potato KUGEL. for those who serve potatoes, do you also have potato kugel besides? Anyway, sometimes I put the kugel in the chicken drippings, and it stays very moist. (covered tightly with alum. foil).

LikeMeDoes

Post Wed, Dec 07 2005, 5:10 pm
A great idea for potatoes under chicken (this is my mother's Pesach recipe, but I like it so much, I make it during the year)
Slice, potatoes and put in a pan, place chicken on top. Pour freshly sqeezed orange, lemon and grapefruit juice on top. Cover and bake. When I made this once, I used Tropicana juice w/ bits and regular lemon juice and it came out great too. The potatoes stay really juicy and get a really delicious flavour
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes