Home

Mesivta help

View latest: 24h 48h 72h

amother

OP

Post Sun, Nov 12 2023, 2:41 pm
I have a son in 8th in a local mainstream Yeshiva in Brooklyn. His Yeshiva has a mesivta but it may not be the best fit for him. We’re looking for someone who can advise us about the different mesivtas and what might fit him best. I’ve heard the name ‘Rabbi Strauss’ but he’s in Lakewood. I’m wondering if there’s anyone more local to go to for some insight? (His Rebbi does not seem to know and his menahel is new so it would seem that he doesn’t have too much experience with this yet.)

doctorima

Post Sun, Nov 12 2023, 2:53 pm
The uniqueness of Rabbi Strauss is that he's familiar with basically every yeshiva everywhere. Unfortunately there is nobody like that in Brooklyn, or at least with that reputation and who meets with strangers to help advise them for free like Rabbi Strauss does.

That said, if you're not planning to send him away, there aren't so many options in Brooklyn, so if you tell us what you're looking for, we can probably help you narrow it down to 2-3 options. If you're open to having him dorm, it's really worthwhile to reach out to Rabbi Strauss, especially since his current Rebbi and Menahel are not in a position to help.

amother

Garnet

Post Sun, Nov 12 2023, 8:36 pm
Mr shuli Halpert does this as well for no charge. He used to live in flatbush but now moved to NJ. He does come into flatbush sometimes for appts. If not I think you can do a zoom meeting.

Ive done alot of research in the past 2 years on mesivtas since I have 2 boys a yr apart who are very different and are in 2 totally dofferent type of schools. If you say what type of boy ure son is and if you want in or oot I can try to help.

amother

OP

Post Sun, Nov 12 2023, 9:51 pm
Thank you both for your replies and willingness to help! My son does all that he’s supposed to in terms of going to minyan, class, work etc. He does have some trouble sitting for so many hours straight and doing gemara. He gets a bit impatient and starts to get bored or jumpy or tune out by looking out the window. If he applies himself and puts in the effort, he does well but he needs to be paid attention to in order to do that. Left to his own devices he just kind of hums along but doesn’t flourish. I think he needs a place that has warm rebbeim/hanhala that will look out for him as an individual and ‘pull him in’ to the learning, so to speak, and then he will do well. He doesn’t seem very self motivated currently, although maybe that can change with time and development and maturity 🤷‍♀️. I don’t think that the ‘big, mainstream’ yeshivos here will work well for him.

As an aside: We are not very yeshivish. My son does enjoy playing sports/outdoors and following sports when he has spare time. He’s also very personable and makes friends easily, bH.

doctorima

Post Sun, Nov 12 2023, 10:24 pm
Are you open to him dorming, or does the yeshiva have to be in Brooklyn?

amother

OP

Post Sun, Nov 12 2023, 10:26 pm
I just want him to be in an environment where he’ll become the best that he can. I’m not in love with the dorming idea but not opposed to it outright. If that’s what it will take for him to be in a mesivta that will work well for him, then it’s an option.

amother

Papaya

Post Sun, Nov 12 2023, 10:54 pm
Would you send him to a Chofetz Chaim yeshiva? I think you should look into Kol Torah in Inwood. Sounds like it may be a good fit

amother

OP

Post Sun, Nov 12 2023, 11:03 pm
amother Papaya wrote:
Would you send him to a Chofetz Chaim yeshiva? I think you should look into Kol Torah in Inwood. Sounds like it may be a good fit

Is Kol Torah a Chofetz Chaim Yeshiva? Would you be able to tel me a little about it?

amother

Chocolate

Post Mon, Nov 20 2023, 4:19 pm
Look into ohr naftali of new windsor. Sounds like it may be a good fit.

amother

Garnet

Post Mon, Nov 20 2023, 9:06 pm
Look into R Jacobowitz- hamesivta of monsey
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

View latest: 24h 48h 72h