Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cookbooks
What's your favorite non-kosher (veggie) cookbook?
1  2  Next

Toot

Post Tue, Jul 29 2008, 4:07 pm
I need a change from the same old Susie Fishbein and Spice and Spirit classic Jewish recipes. Does anyone have a favorite non kosher cookbook (pref. vegetarian so as not to waste half the recipes)?

I just got one called Super Natural Cooking, it's veggie and has different ways to incorporate natural grains, sweeteners, and other foods into your cooking. I made a couple of the recipes this past shabbos and they were great. She has a non dairy chocolate mousse with no chemicals!! It calls for soy milk and silken tofu instead of non dairy creamer or whip topping. I'm making it for shabbos, if it comes out good, I'll post the recipe.

So what are your favorites?

Clarissa

Post Tue, Jul 29 2008, 4:11 pm
At last, a thread for me to enjoy today!

Vegetarian Planet by Didi Emmons

All of the Moosewood cookbooks, especially:

Moosewood Restaurant Low-Fat Favorites

and some of Mollie Katzen's books, especially:

Still Life with Menu

The Essential Vegetarian Cookbook, by Murdoch Press

Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone, by Deborah Madison

I could go on. I'd say Vegetarian Planet is my current favorite.

Toot

Post Tue, Jul 29 2008, 4:18 pm
Ah, I knew someone would say Mollie Katzen, I grew up on those cookbooks. I don't own any, but I feel like I can't buy them new, they have to already be tattered and worn. Maybe I'll check out some used books stores/stands.

DefyGravity

Post Tue, Jul 29 2008, 4:21 pm
Moosewood cookbooks!

Clarissa

Post Tue, Jul 29 2008, 4:21 pm
The older ones, like the original Moosewood Cookbook and Enchanted Broccoli Forest, have a lot of fat in the recipes, loads of cheese and butter. Katzen has updated her recipes in later cookbooks to be more for contemporary tastes. The newer Moosewoods are also for lighter fare, like the one I mentioned above. I also use Moosewood Restaurant's Daily Special, which is just salads and soups.

Last edited by Clarissa on Tue, Jul 29 2008, 4:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

DefyGravity

Post Tue, Jul 29 2008, 4:23 pm
I found one of the Moosewood cookbooks at the library recently and really enjoyed it.

Clarissa

Post Tue, Jul 29 2008, 4:24 pm
I still use my old ones, bought in the mid-70's, all the time. I made the Cauliflower-Cheese Pie with Potato Crust this past Shabbat.

chaylizi

Post Tue, Jul 29 2008, 4:38 pm
my sister is vegetarian and she loves moosewood & mollie katzen.

Raisin

Post Tue, Jul 29 2008, 4:39 pm
its not veggie, but my favourite non jewish cookbook is the good housekeeping one. I also have a bunch of veggie ones, including one moosewood cookbook, and the cranks cookbook, most of which I rarely use.

bashinda

Post Tue, Jul 29 2008, 11:10 pm
is the vegetarian times cookbook good?

teachby

Post Wed, Jul 30 2008, 1:03 am
I also love the old Moosewood cookbooks. I have another one of the same era (maybe a little later) called "The Horn of the Moon" cookbook, which I also really like. I believe that, like Moosewood, this is (was) from a restaurant by the same name. I think in Vermont. It would probably be hard to find (try Amazon?), but I always really have enjoyed it.

yogajew

Post Wed, Jul 30 2008, 1:29 am
I could suggest a few, but I'm not sure of what kind of veggie foods you like to cook. I have 25 or so vegan/vegetarian cookbooks and these are my favorites:

The Mediterranean Vegan Kitchen by Donna Klein
Vegan Italiano by Donna Klein
Vegan With a Vengence and the Veganomicon by Isa Chandra Moskovitz. (there are a couple of non-tzniusdik photos in this book--nothing too racy but some people may be put off by it.
Olive Trees and Honey by Gil Marks.

Maybe check out the reviews on amazon. I find that they are usually accurate. I'll try to post some recipes in the other forum later if I get bored. I've got to try those moosewood cookbooks.

Amital

Post Wed, Jul 30 2008, 2:27 am
I love Olive Trees and Honey! It's a "treasury of vegetarian foods from Jewish communities around the world." It's got Sephardic and Ashkenazic favorites, and lots of interesting things.

Strudel

Post Wed, Jul 30 2008, 6:44 pm
Anything by Mollie Katzen. The books themselves are a pleasure to read.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jul 31 2008, 8:10 am
Most of our cookbooks aren't kosher and aren't veggie. It's so easy to adapt... and the only way for exotic cuisine.
I can look at the titles if you're interested.

Capitalchick

Post Thu, Jul 31 2008, 12:29 pm
I love Vegetarian Planet by Didi Edmonds and her other book called Entertaining for a Vegetarian Planet. Both excellent! I also have a book from a non-kosher restaurant in my home city. I went in, looked at all the vegetarian food at the buffet and was so impressed that I bought the cookbook they were selling!

artsy

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 9:48 pm
Anyone have any other specific vegetarian or vegan recommendations?

ChanieMommy

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 9:50 pm
Yotam Ottolenghi

and I would look up indian cookbooks...

Last edited by ChanieMommy on Thu, Oct 15 2020, 9:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

tichellady

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 9:51 pm
I like love real food

artsy

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 9:59 pm
Is anyone bothered by reference to not jewish holidays in any of these books? Or anything else that would be a concern?

There were two books mentioned in other threads. CRANKS vegetarian.

And Tassajara Bread Book.
Was wondering if Cranks has any references to non jewish holidays etc.
And Tassajara is written by a Buddhist Zen Priest.
And he talks about his thoughts a bit in it.
Is this a personal sensitivity?
OR might it be an issue.

Since I don't know anyone on here making recommendations. Keep this in mind that I would want something that doesn't have anything potentially offensive.
(Really would like Tassajara bread book but not sure it is worth it because of it's source)
Don't know of any other bread book that is really classic and simple.

And any other recommendations really appreciated !
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics