Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
I want to be rich.
1  2  Next

amother

Post Fri, Aug 01 2008, 7:35 am
As I wrote I want to be rich. Do you think riches is something you attract to yourself through the law of attraction? According to the video "THE SECRET" you should be able to.

I am struggling with this issue for weeks trying to change my mindset from "you have to work hard for money" to "money comes easily and frequently". I must say that I see a slight change in the income. I want more, though. Does it come with time or is it just my luck in this world to be struggling financially. Twisted Evil

Has anyone who grew up poor changed their lifestyle to abundance. How have they achieved it? Is it just a person's 'gorel' in this world if he's meant to be rich or poor or is it something he can do to open his heart to the abundance of Hashem.

red sea

Post Fri, Aug 01 2008, 8:36 am
Yup Bill Gates & Donald Trump did.

Clarissa

Post Fri, Aug 01 2008, 8:41 am
The only people who have gotten wealthier from "The Secret" are the people who wrote, published and sold it.

Hard work, determination, plain dumb luck, all those things get people rich. Saying things is only related because it can be connected to single-minded determination.

Pickle Lady

Post Fri, Aug 01 2008, 8:55 am
red sea wrote:

Neither one of them grew up poor. Both of them grew up with a very very comfortable lifestyle.

Actually Bill Gates's family is very wealthy.

Last edited by Pickle Lady on Fri, Aug 01 2008, 9:00 am; edited 2 times in total

Tamiri

Post Fri, Aug 01 2008, 8:57 am
If you read the book "The Millionaire Next Door" you will find that your run-of-the-mill millionaire got that way by working hard, being frugal, saving, being frugal and saving. Yes, I did repeat myself. Even if they earned a nice salary, they did not go out and buy new cars, did not buy a house which cost more than a certain percentage of their earnings (not projected earnings, actual earnings, realistic earnings), recycled and bought on sale and money put away at every opportunity "for the future". I know an older couple who adhered to this method blindly, and they have plenty now to leave after 120. Yet, they still shop on sale, don't buy a new car, don't upgrade their home etc. just because they have it. This method totally works.

red sea

Post Fri, Aug 01 2008, 9:05 am
Pickle Lady wrote:
red sea wrote:

Neither one of them grew up poor. Both of them grew up with a very very comfortable lifestyle.

Actually Bill Gates's family is very wealthy.

I guess its the relativeness of it.

Last edited by red sea on Sat, Aug 02 2008, 9:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother

Post Fri, Aug 01 2008, 9:26 am
OP here. What did you mean by a black and white view? The idea about saying things to your subconscious mind?
It seemed to me like you thought I will sit back and twiddle my thumbs and talk to myself all day and I think money will fall into my lap. It's not at all what I was saying. I work hard and very hard and so does my husband. We barely make it to pay the bills. I am certain that it's relevant to our way of thinking because, as I said, the past few weeks I started to think differently and I see a bracha come in. Maybe you will say it is pure luck but I know there is more to it. There is also a book by John Gray "Practical miracles by Mars and Venus" that explains this concept.

I didn't post this to hear that I was talking nonsense. Those that don't know what I am talking about should not post anything please. I want to know if anybody tried this therapy process and it helped.
I have a sister who went thru this process and she is b"h not struggling anymore. She tried to explain to me what she does but she has a hard time expressing herself well so I missed some important facts.

Chocoholic

Post Fri, Aug 01 2008, 9:42 am
You can always rob a bank.

mom21n2

Post Fri, Aug 01 2008, 11:56 am
I don't want to be rich. I just want to not have to think about purchases when I make them. "Oh, can we afford this?" I believe in visualization. If you have clarity about a goal, you can achieve it.

PS, I love how "similar topics" is reading "rich and creamy mashed potatoes."

greenfire

Post Fri, Aug 01 2008, 11:59 am
"money can't buy you love ... " Music

shayna82

Post Fri, Aug 01 2008, 12:13 pm
I talk with my grandmother about this sometimes. back then- lets say 50 years ago, people lived with less. they saved up a lot and things were made better and lasted longer. there wasnt such an emphasis on having so many nice things. of cource there was hollywood and all that then too, but now its way more. now with technology there are so many more gadgets one can want and have, and just so many more things that "make life easier."

when I want something new in that catergory I think of her telling me that she had to walk two blocks as a young girl to the store to make a phone call.

mom21n2

Post Fri, Aug 01 2008, 12:23 pm
And my parents had to travel 5 miles in the snow on a bicycle.

costanza

Post Fri, Aug 01 2008, 1:42 pm
Uphill both ways

yo'ma

Post Fri, Aug 01 2008, 1:47 pm
mom21n2 wrote:
And my parents had to travel 5 miles in the snow on a bicycle.

My mother used to always say, don't complain how you have to go to school, when I went to school, I had to walk 2 miles in the snow. She lived in L.A. LOL

marina

Post Fri, Aug 01 2008, 6:00 pm
I am visualizing myself being a size two. Sadly, I am also eating donuts Smile

sarahzeldman

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 7:38 am
I saw the secret and wondered about it as you did.

Some of it rang true...while some of it, if taken literally, was clearly not kosher.

I wrote a report reviewing the movie You'll like it esp. because it includes a thorough "recap" of all of the details movie (which moves very fast) as well as my thoughts on how one can "put G-d in the system" Smile (though...I'm no Rebitzin Smile

http://thesecretrecapped.wordpress.com/

Also, you may like there was an interview on OU Radio's "Off the beaten path" where toward the end, the lady was asked, "how do we bring new things into our lives" and without mentioning The Secret, proceeded, perhaps unknowingly, to layout pretty much the same steps as the movie with a jewish twist.

You can find the interview here:

http://www.ouradio.org/ouradio/channel/C299/

I cant remember which one for sure, but it was an interview with a woman so that narrows it down Smile

Best of luck,

Sarah Zeldman

TheBeinoni

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 7:46 am
I saw "The Secret". The main points of it are not new or unique to the creators of the book/movie - these are ideas/mindsets/techniques that have been around forever.

Growing up my father always told me to visualize! Imagine yourself in the position you want to be in. Later in life, when my father became more religious, he told me to read a book based on R' Nachman's concept of "hitbodedut" - basically you talk to Hashem - you thank Him for what you have and you ask him for what you want. If you want $25,000, why not ask Hashem for $100,000? Do you really think it is harder for Hashem to give you the 100,000 rather than the 25,000? Of course not - Hashem can do ANYTHING and EVERYTHING. The concepts are very similar to "The Secret"...

but as Jews, we need to remember that the secret is this: HASHEM IS IN CONTROL. If you want something, just ask Him. He is the ONLY one who can give you what you want. Of course you will have to work hard and show Hashem really how much you want whatever it is you are asking for, but if you don't include Hashem in the equation, you may never see what you think you want so badly...

sarahzeldman

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 7:51 am
Like I say in my report:

The movie asks you to think about ‘the
Universe’ as a genie that is ready to grant your every wish. Many religious people, to
make the movie ‘jive’ with their religion, will substitute the word “G-d” for “The
Universe”. However, at this point in the movie, many religious people (like me) begin to
get uncomfortable. What chutzpah to think of G-d as some kind of genie waiting to grant
your wishes. How dare I “command” something from G-d or order what I want as if I
were ordering from a menu at a restaurant?

While it is easy to believe that G-d certainly does not want to see us suffer and does want
us to prosper, religious minded people believe that ultimately G-d knows best. We believe
that it is possible that what we want may not be what is best for us. Therefore, G-d may
not give it to us. As my grandma used to say “G-d always answers our prayers, but
sometimes He says ‘No’”. Therefore, it is hard for many people to fulfill this ‘prerequisite’
of The Secret.

Instead of thinking of ‘the Universe’ as a genie in a lamp, I like to think of it as a loving
parent who wants to give me exactly what I want, if that is also in line with what is best for
me. It, like a loving parent, will gently help me make the appropriate adjustments to my
desires. For example, if my child wants to eat a lollipop every day it would not be healthy
for me to ‘grant his wish’ every time he requests it. Instead, I may say something to him
like, “Oh, I see you want something sweet, how about a nice baked apple instead? It’s still
sweet, but healthier for your body.” Likewise, I may ask for what I want in prayer, but I
trust G-d (the Universe) to be more intelligent than me about what is best for me.

TheBeinoni

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 7:58 am
I also want to add, to address the OPs original post more directly, this:

I grew up with a lot of nice things. B"H my father worked very hard and did well in the business world. To put it in perspective, my first car was a Jaguar. Not that I didn't have things taken away from me when I was irresponsible - trust me, we were raised with a sense of appreciation for what we had and a sense of responsibility and that everything in life is earned.

Now as a newlywed I cannot afford the "luxuries" I grew up with. But as my emunah has strengthened, my desire for material things has weakened. Of course I hope and pray that Hashem will send me enough money to cover tuition to send my kids to good yeshivas, and we should have enough money every week to make a beautiful Shabbat and have guests (usually Israelis who are not religious)etc, etc. I hope that I will always have enough $ so that I can serve Hashem without having to worry. But you know what? The weeks when I do have to scrape together enough money just so that we can have fish and chicken on Friday night, it makes the Shabbat meal feel so much more special. Like we don't take it for granted - in the end Hashem provided!

Ask yourself what being "rich" really means to you? Do you want to be rich so that you can give most of it to tzedaka, or do you want to be rich because you want a new car and some fancy clothes? (I'm not criticizing you, just asking!) My father says today that all the money he has made thus far is only from Hashem, it isn't because he worked hard or got lucky. And he says that because it is from Hashem, he feels that he must use his money for mitzvot - like giving tzedaka, helping us (his children) build a bayit neeman, etc etc...

Soon, mashiach will be here and all the riches in the world won't even matter! So ask yourself what being rich really means, and if you really want it for the right reasons, then by all means - ask Hashem to help you out!

amother

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 8:52 am
We all want to be rich. In my case, I WANT TO SAVE MY HOUSE!!! There's a big danger that we'll lose our house, so define being rich. Extra $$ to shop with? Or do you decide if you can afford to buy food?

Sorry I dont have patience with this.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics