Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
I want to be rich.
Previous  1  2

Clarissa

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 8:54 am
sarahzeldman wrote:
I saw the secret and wondered about it as you did.

Some of it rang true...while some of it, if taken literally, was clearly not kosher.

I wrote a report reviewing the movie You'll like it esp. because it includes a thorough "recap" of all of the details movie (which moves very fast) as well as my thoughts on how one can "put G-d in the system" Smile (though...I'm no Rebitzin Smile

http://thesecretrecapped.wordpress.com/
I just watched the spoof of the video (even though I'd never seen the original) and it is hysterical. I mean, laughing until I cried.

grin

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 11:43 am
I'm not sure I want to be rich, as I see that as being defined as having more money than you concievably could need, and "marbe nechasim, marbe de'aga".

However, I could totally see a use for many more $K than I presently have.

Motek

Post Thu, Aug 07 2008, 12:45 pm
grin wrote:
I'm not sure I want to be rich, as I see that as being defined as having more money than you concievably could need, and "marbe nechasim, marbe de'aga" (more possessions, more worries).

It may not be your nusach but many people, on Shabbos Mevorchim, daven for "osher" (wealth). The mishna in Avos enumerates many wonderful qualities that Rabbi Yehuda Ha'Nasi had and one of them was wealth.

"nechasim" are possessions

Motek

Post Thu, Aug 07 2008, 11:01 pm
there's a thread on The Secret:

http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....18817

where I posted:

The Chovos Ha'Levavos is a classic sefer which says: have bitachon in Hashem and by virtue of your trust, you will get what you are trusting Hashem to give you.

But I'd rather discuss The Secret in that thread.

There's another book, the Aladdin Factor:

http://www.amazon.com/Aladdin-.....50755

which is along the same lines - ask for what you want

And to add to the confusion on this topic, how about the Chazal that says that when a fetus is created, it is decided whether it will be smart or foolish, strong or weak, rich or poor.

PIP

Post Fri, Aug 08 2008, 12:43 am
Motek wrote:

The Chovos Ha'Levavos is a classic sefer which says: have bitachon in Hashem and by virtue of your trust, you will get what you are trusting Hashem to give you.

And to add to the confusion on this topic, how about the Chazal that says that when a fetus is created, it is decided whether it will be smart or foolish, strong or weak, rich or poor.

So true! I can't count how many times things just pulled through so amazingly. Times when it seemed absolutely impossible, yet BH we still have a roof over our heads and food to eat!

Maybe keep having kids until you get a rich one Smile hehe I'm kidding.

grin

Post Fri, Aug 08 2008, 5:09 am
chazal also say that the nisayon of osher - knowing how not to overspend even tho you have the ability, distributing tzedaka appropriately, not becoming atttached to gashmiyus - is more difficult than that of aniyus.

Tamiri

Post Fri, Aug 08 2008, 5:13 am
grin wrote:
chazal also say that the nisayon of osher - knowing how not to overspend even tho you have the ability, distributing tzedaka appropriately, not becoming atttached to gashmiyus - is more difficult than that of aniyus.

I'll take the former challenge over the latter any day.

Motek

Post Fri, Aug 08 2008, 11:08 am
grin wrote:

Check out the Rebbe's sicha of Teruma 5752, the one where the Rebbe says that now, we are capable of both ashirus b'ruchnius and ashirus b'gashmius and Jews ought to be rich with both!

Quote:
A Jew is in essence rich and his inner spiritual wealth should be reflected in actual material wealth. If this is not openly apparent, this is only because G-d desires that a Jew reveal this wealth through his efforts, that he transform the darkness of the world into light. This in turn will draw down an abundance of Divine blessing into the world.

The above is particularly true in the present time, when the Jewish people have completed all the spiritual tasks demanded of them and all that is necessary is to actually accept Mashiach. At this time, each and every member of the present generation, the last generation of exile and the first generation of Redemption, is surely worthy of abundant material wealth.

This leads to a practical directive: Each Jew should seek to obtain wealth, spiritual wealth as our Sages stated, "There is no concept of wealth other than knowledge," and also actual material wealth. The latter will, as the Rambam explains, enable one to devote oneself to the study of Torah and the observance of mitzvos in a more complete manner. Similarly, one will be able to donate more generously to tzedakah, including the tzedakah given for the construction of synagogues and houses of study.

And this will lead to the construction of the Third Beis HaMikdash, a mitzvah which is incumbent on every single Jew. And it will be fulfilled by the entire Jewish people, for every Jew -- man, woman, and child[349] -- will donate towards the construction of that Beis HaMikdash.

http://www.sichosinenglish.org.....8.htm

bubs

Post Sun, Aug 24 2008, 8:11 am
If it were easy, it would be something else people would want. The people who give seminars on get rich quick, are wealthy because they charge tons for these seminars not because they made it big. If they had, they wouldn't need to give these seminars. There are a few people I know who made it on their own, with luck, hard work perseverance and the help of Hashem. Just enjoy what you have before it's gone- whether money, kids, family. Before you turn around, these things change and you're on the next stage of life.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics