Home
Log in / Sign Up
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club
How to write a children's book
1  2  Next



Post new topic   Reply to topic View latest: 24h 48h 72h

amother
OP


 

Post Tue, Dec 05 2023, 2:57 pm
I have some amazing ideas on children's books but don't know where to start

Can anyone provide basic step-by-step instructions on where to turn and hope to reach out to I've been pushing this off for too many years
Back to top

GLUE




 
 
    
 

Post Tue, Dec 05 2023, 3:29 pm
Years ago I was in the public library and on the shelf was a book called
How to write a non-fiction book

Maybe there is a book on how to write a children's book.
Back to top

amother
Dustypink


 

Post Tue, Dec 05 2023, 3:34 pm
Did you already write the book?

Look at popular children's books and see how many pages they are.
Make sure your book is approximately the same length.
Read your book to some children of the targeted age and make sure it is interesting to them.
If your book rhymes (it doesn't need to and probably shouldn't unless you are unusually talented) have some other people try to read it to make sure the rhyme scheme is easy to use.

Many publishers do not need you to find your own illustrator. They just want the manuscript. (Don't expect to make much money though.)
Write the book, submit it, and they can take care of the rest.

If you want to control the whole project, look for artist portfolios and find one whose style you like.
Decide if you want to self-publish or go through a publisher.

Want me to say more?
Back to top

GLUE




 
 
    
 

Post Tue, Dec 05 2023, 3:36 pm
Just out of curiosity, are you writing a picture book or a chapter book?
Back to top

Lovable




 
 
    
 

Post Tue, Dec 05 2023, 6:46 pm
amother OP wrote:
I have some amazing ideas on children's books but don't know where to start

Can anyone provide basic step-by-step instructions on where to turn and hope to reach out to I've been pushing this off for too many years

I really enjoy writing!
You can Pm me if you'd like
Back to top

Bleemee




 
 
    
 

Post Tue, Dec 05 2023, 6:50 pm
Don’t make it rhyme. 😎
Back to top

amother
PlumPink


 

Post Tue, Dec 05 2023, 6:53 pm
Hatzlacha !
I know an illustrator, if you're interested.
Back to top

amother
Amber


 

Post Tue, Dec 05 2023, 7:03 pm
amother PlumPink wrote:
Hatzlacha !
I know an illustrator, if you're interested.


How much do illustrators charge usually?
Im a speech therapist and love writing, was thinking to make a jewish children's book targeting several speech skills/goals like inferencing, receptive language skills etc...
Back to top

amother
Lime


 

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 8:16 pm
Bleemee wrote:
Don’t make it rhyme. 😎

this is bad advice. Are you a poet?
professional childrens rhyming books are great! I can still recite Labels for Laibel by heart
Back to top

realsilver




 
 
    
 

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 8:25 pm
Bleemee wrote:
Don’t make it rhyme. 😎


I came here to say that I just read a shimmy shambone book to my kids and my six year old said, " its such a good rhyming book!" I thought it was great as well, it practically reads itself, and its easy on the ears.

in other words- rhyming books can be painful if not done correctly, but if done right, are a lot more enjoyable than non rhyming books.
Back to top

amother
PlumPink


 

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 8:35 pm
amother Amber wrote:
How much do illustrators charge usually?
Im a speech therapist and love writing, was thinking to make a jewish children's book targeting several speech skills/goals like inferencing, receptive language skills etc...
I think there's a wide range... Some charge hourly and some (most?) charge a flat fee. Could be as low as several hundred if you hire a newer illustrator, but will be several thousand for a very experienced illustrator.
Back to top

Bleemee




 
 
    
 

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 8:47 pm
amother Lime wrote:
this is bad advice. Are you a poet?
professional childrens rhyming books are great! I can still recite Labels for Laibel by heart

Why is my poetry relevant?
I think many (most?) frum kids books that do rhyme are very poorly done.
They are the focus instead of the device, often feeling forced.
Back to top

amother
Dustypink


 

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 9:05 pm
amother Lime wrote:
this is bad advice. Are you a poet?
professional childrens rhyming books are great! I can still recite Labels for Laibel by heart

If you can write like Dina Rosenfeld, yes rhyme! Otherwise, especially if you don't even know what "meter" is, please don't. Decent prose is worlds better than bad rhymes.
Back to top

amother
Lime


 

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 9:40 pm
amother Dustypink wrote:
If you can write like Dina Rosenfeld, yes rhyme! Otherwise, especially if you don't even know what "meter" is, please don't. Decent prose is worlds better than bad rhymes.

I'm actually great at poems, if I may say so myself
I've been asked and have written poems for family and friends since elementary school
My issue is creativity. I don't have much of that
So I would love to partner with someone who has ideas. And an illustrator
Back to top

amother
Lime


 

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 9:43 pm
Bleemee wrote:
Why is my poetry relevant?
I think many (most?) frum kids books that do rhyme are very poorly done.
They are the focus instead of the device, often feeling forced.

Sorry
I guess you just hit a raw nerve
My 7th grade writing teacher always discouraged us from writing poems and I resented it a lot. Poems are my specialty and hobby.
Bh my 8th grade writing teacher was the exact opposite and strongly encouraged poetry, rhyming or not.
Back to top

shaqued_almond




 
 
    
 

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 9:55 pm
Reedsy has great articles and lectures by industry professionals that can help you. Usually you start out with the story and an illustrator will figure out how to visually translate it to the page.
I agree that unless you're excellent at poetry to avoid having it rhyme.
In my opinion the most important aspect of children's literature that all successful stories have is whimsy. There need to be some eccentricities in your story that make children curious and interested to return to your world.
Whimsy should also exist in your word choice and prose, I doesn't require rhyme as previously stated. Usually the truly great books have whimsy words, whimsy characters and a whimsy plot.
Read lots of children's books to familiarize yourself with your audience.

As far as frum books, I really like "If I went to the moon" by Sara Blau, that book about a kid falling into a kiddush cup, and the Yossi and Laibel books because their artstyle is gorgeous.
Back to top

amother
Dustypink


 

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 10:24 pm
amother Lime wrote:
I'm actually great at poems, if I may say so myself
I've been asked and have written poems for family and friends since elementary school
My issue is creativity. I don't have much of that
So I would love to partner with someone who has ideas. And an illustrator

I don't know you and have never read your poetry, so it may be amazing.

But many of the people I know who consider themselves excellent at poetry, even those who are called upon to write poems for others, write very tortured rhymes. I would suggest finding a highly critical reader to make sure that your poems flow smoothly and have good meter before writing a rhyming children's book.

For example: https://www.imamother.com/foru.....03133
Back to top

amother
PlumPink


 

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 1:51 pm
amother Lime wrote:
I'm actually great at poems, if I may say so myself
I've been asked and have written poems for family and friends since elementary school
My issue is creativity. I don't have much of that
So I would love to partner with someone who has ideas. And an illustrator
Here's an illustrator: kelilahorowitz@gmail.com
Back to top

Bleemee




 
 
    
 

Post Mon, Dec 11 2023, 8:33 pm
amother Lime wrote:
Sorry
I guess you just hit a raw nerve
My 7th grade writing teacher always discouraged us from writing poems and I resented it a lot. Poems are my specialty and hobby.
Bh my 8th grade writing teacher was the exact opposite and strongly encouraged poetry, rhyming or not.

My advice still stands.
Most kids’ authors should avoid rhyme.
Excellent advice about the whimsy.
Back to top

amother
OP


 

Post Mon, Dec 11 2023, 9:28 pm
Thank you for all the advice

I would probably attempt to rhyme too if needed... kids love rhymes. Even when it makes no sense lol

For more on that see Dr Seuss
Back to top
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics




Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club

Related Topics Replies Last Post
What book is this?
by amother
7 Today at 1:43 am View last post
Therapy for children
by amother
8 Yesterday at 8:21 pm View last post
M. Kenan’s 4th (and last!) book in the Khazari series
by amother
21 Yesterday at 10:57 am View last post
Dinner ad first time what do I write??
by amother
4 Yesterday at 10:23 am View last post
Dentistry for Children of Jackson
by amother
9 Tue, Feb 20 2024, 10:47 am View last post