Home
Log in / Sign Up
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Schools you went to that r so different today
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next



Post new topic   Reply to topic View latest: 24h 48h 72h

Bnei Berak 10




 
 
    
 

Post Sun, Dec 10 2023, 10:59 am
amother Chocolate wrote:
I went to Bais Bracha elementary in the 80s and 90s. In those days the school had classrooms in the Stolin yeshiva on 18th Ave.

They then moved to 10th Ave where I believe they still are. It was an old shul and I still remember the elderly men leaving after Shacharis before the girls took over their shul as a classroom. Reb. Ledereich was the principal. And Reb. Shochet the Stoliner Rebbitzin also worked there . I don’t recall if she was a principal too.

The older classes Only had about 8-10 kids while my class had about 20/25.

When I was in the third grade they remodeled the building and it looked beautiful. They even made a teachers room.

The shul was the lunchroom. We brought lunch from home.

Mrs. Kviat became principal a few years after the school was started. Even though she was strict she was the essence of the school.

The parent body was a total mix . We had mothers who wore bright red nail polish and “long” sheitels ,to mothers who wore steel wool short sheitels with beige bullet proof tights.

There was zero peer pressure and every girl no matter her background , life circumstances, level of finances was treated as an equal. It was a very pashut school with real tochein. It was small and every girl was known by first name.

In my day the secular subjects were the basics . Like reading , writing and arithmetic. But I’m 4th and 5th grade we started with geography and science.

After Mrs. Kviat left the school became more Chasidish and is very very different . I have very fond memories.

Bullet proof tights LOL
Back to top

amother
Papayawhip


 

Post Sun, Dec 10 2023, 11:06 am
amother Chocolate wrote:
They were at East 15 or 16 and Ave P at a certain point because I used to daven at a Shabbos minyan in the basement of the school building when I was a teen.

That's where they still are.
Back to top

amother
Maize


 

Post Sun, Dec 10 2023, 12:56 pm
amother Copper wrote:
I went to shevach hs in Queens in the 80’s.
Before I went to the school it was considered a Bais Yaakov type school. I think the year I went it turned much less frum and stayed like that for many years.
After I started shevach it became a thing that families who wanted a Bais Yaakov type school would send their girls by van to BY schools in other neighborhoods.
I don’t live there anymore so I’m not sure what it’s like these days. I do know that the woman who was the principal in my days really brought the school down a few levels. She is no longer the principal and hasn’t been for many years so I’m assuming things have changed.
I don’t have very good memories.


I went to TAG in the 2010s and viewed Shevach as a similar mixed Bais Yaakov type school.

ETA: And speaking of TAG, I recently visited and it seems similar to when I was there.
Back to top

amother
NeonGreen


 

Post Sun, Dec 10 2023, 1:03 pm
amother OP wrote:
I was reading through some of the recent school threads and was fascinated by how schools today are milessss apart from what they were when some of us went .

I’m wondering if you would share a then/now version of your school.

I’ll start: I grew up in Monsey and went to Bais Shifra Miriam in the late 80’s and 90’s . We only got to a building (the former YSV girls) when I was in 4th grade. Till then we traveled from people’s dining rooms, to top of the Kollel to Shuls….and we didn’t have a uniform till I was in 7th grade.
My class (& the school) was super eclectic. My class had a mix of girls whose mothers wore covered Sheitels, Chabad, super Brisk type, and children of BTs who came from anywhere.
Classes ranged from 7 girls to 23 girls in the big classes!
Nearly all the mothers drove. Lunches we brought from home. We did not take Regents but learned the full Math/Global and Science curriculum and I got a perfectly good diploma that I could use for college based off of it.

As much as the school wasn’t Chassidish in elementary, the HS implemented beige tights from 10th and up. But boy did we range 😂 in what we called beige.


Today, I don’t live in Monsey but judging from the threads, it’s gotten quite Chassidish & apparently implemented a no driving rule.

It seems to be more difficult to get into whereas in my day pretty much anyone got in.

They have a better building now.

I wonder if any of the old teachers are still there (Mrs Weiss of 1st grade, Mrs Schwartz of 2nd grade? Mrs Shavy Flohr of 6th grade?) I think the principals all changed — we had Mrs Flohr & Mrs Blau in elementary and Mrs Greenberger & Mrs Steinberg in HS.

Tell us about your then/now experience. Let’s not bash but more of a gentle curious exploration of evolution of schools.


I also went to BSM - I was from the earliest students - went the second year after it started. I actually left for high school after one of the principals (who wasn't there for very long after) told us it would be "nice" if we put on Beige stockings for graduation. It's not at all my family's minhag. I had been begging my parents to send me to a different high school all year, and that clinched it. My younger siblings switched to a different elementary school because my parents already saw the direction the school was taking back then.

BTW even the principals drove back then. I remember Mrs. Flohr's blue car. And Mrs. Blau for sure drove.
Back to top

amother
Cappuccino


 

Post Sun, Dec 10 2023, 1:17 pm
I went to Bais Yakov Gur in BP. Since I left many years ago, the school changed a ton! Beige in HS was instituted when I was still there. The havara changed from litvish to chassidish. The principals all changed, maybe except Mrs. Lederman is still there? Now there are no non-Gerre people in the school but in my days there were a few. The school library doesn't have any non-Jewish books anymore. They built up another floor of the building.
Back to top

amother
Brass


 

Post Sun, Dec 10 2023, 1:42 pm
amother Brunette wrote:
I went to Seminar about 15 years ago. Apparently it’s very different today.

Ohhh me too maybe we were same year! I went 05-06
Back to top

amother
Ecru


 

Post Sun, Dec 10 2023, 1:48 pm
YOB Elementary school.
Still remember crushing the milk bottles after lunch so they should take up less space, drying your hands on one paper towel, leaving through the basement so as not to disturb the high school.
The young teachers taking the hanukov van from BY half day seminary
Huge emphasis on being “ low key”
Pizza was a dirty word but bagels were not
Back to top

amother
Butterscotch


 

Post Sun, Dec 10 2023, 1:57 pm
I went to Bais Yaakov Detroit in the 80s and 90s. It was a very out of town school at the time. We obliviously wore denim skirts and went shopping in one basement store and maybe Loehmanns. It was for the whole community and served girls who were on the full spectrum of religious observance but wanted a girls only school- from fairly modern to very yeshivish. Now the community has a kollel and a good portion of the teachers moved to the community from elsewhere. BY would now fit right in in Lakewood.
Back to top

amother
Aster


 

Post Sun, Dec 10 2023, 2:33 pm
I went to Bnos Leah PPY in Brooklyn from the 80s to 2000s. It started out a true Bais Yaakov families were very solid, some even Yeshivish. Totally different today the student body has shrunk as families left Brooklyn, the hashkafa is the same but the families are modern it’s so sad their reputation has changed it’s still a wonderful education, but a lot of the best teachers and administrators left. In my day it was the top school
Back to top

amother
Bluebell


 

Post Sun, Dec 10 2023, 2:37 pm
amother Brunette wrote:
I went to Seminar about 15 years ago. Apparently it’s very different today.


Hi! I went to seminar 08-09. Were we together?? Seems like a lot of things are very different, but the types of girls (at least from my small neighborhood) are similar. Many of the same teachers.
Back to top

amother
Tiffanyblue


 

Post Sun, Dec 10 2023, 2:44 pm
amother Chocolate wrote:
I went to Bais Bracha elementary in the 80s and 90s. In those days the school had classrooms in the Stolin yeshiva on 18th Ave.

They then moved to 10th Ave where I believe they still are. It was an old shul and I still remember the elderly men leaving after Shacharis before the girls took over their shul as a classroom. Reb. Ledereich was the principal. And Reb. Shochet the Stoliner Rebbitzin also worked there . I don’t recall if she was a principal too.

The older classes Only had about 8-10 kids while my class had about 20/25.

When I was in the third grade they remodeled the building and it looked beautiful. They even made a teachers room.

The shul was the lunchroom. We brought lunch from home.

Mrs. Kviat became principal a few years after the school was started. Even though she was strict she was the essence of the school.

The parent body was a total mix . We had mothers who wore bright red nail polish and “long” sheitels ,to mothers who wore steel wool short sheitels with beige bullet proof tights.

There was zero peer pressure and every girl no matter her background , life circumstances, level of finances was treated as an equal. It was a very pashut school with real tochein. It was small and every girl was known by first name.

In my day the secular subjects were the basics . Like reading , writing and arithmetic. But I’m 4th and 5th grade we started with geography and science.

After Mrs. Kviat left the school became more Chasidish and is very very different . I have very fond memories.

I guess I was there a year or two behind you. In first grade they were in middle of building up while we were in school. When I was in second grade we had new classrooms. I only stayed 2 years. Reading was from photocopies of jewish literature. They didn't want to teach from actual textbooks. Mrs. Kviat spoke in yiddish even during English classes. I definitely don't remember parents with red nails. When my parents were pulling out, the school insisted they'd be getting a true English principal but my parents didn't want to wait around for changes.
Back to top

amother
Teal


 

Post Sun, Dec 10 2023, 3:15 pm
Wondering if anyone thinks the school they went to IMPROVED or if everyone thinks their Alma mater went downhill since they left
Back to top

amother
Viola


 

Post Sun, Dec 10 2023, 3:16 pm
amother Tuberose wrote:
I went there! They closed at the end of when I was in sixth grade. What year did you graduate HS?
I wasn't at dahill ... Guess you are older than me.


I'm about 10 years older than you, I came back to sub for 7th and 8th grade the year after I graduated high school. When I cam into the office they other teachers told me don't even bother trying to teach them. I'll never walk away from a challenge so I walked in to the 8th grade classroom half the girl stood up, took their briefcases and walked out and went home. The other half stayed and really enjoyed the lesson. Didn't fare as well with the 7th graders who treated me - let's say like a lot of 7th graders treat their sub. The school shut down about a year later.
Back to top

amother
Fern


 

Post Sun, Dec 10 2023, 3:23 pm
amother Teal wrote:
Wondering if anyone thinks the school they went to IMPROVED or if everyone thinks their Alma mater went downhill since they left


My husband and I both feel that the schools we went to are a lot better today than when we went there over thirty years ago. Though apparently chinuch was a lot easier back then. Despite the inferior chinuch there seemed to have been better results.

Seems like most of the complaining here is about the schools changing haskafa or deaiing with changing demographics . Not so much about the quality of education or educators itself.
Back to top

amother
Peach


 

Post Sun, Dec 10 2023, 3:26 pm
amother Teal wrote:
Wondering if anyone thinks the school they went to IMPROVED or if everyone thinks their Alma mater went downhill since they left


A million times better.
Not going to mention the school. I had a horrible time in elementary school. Now the school has a new administration and is one of the most popular schools in town. I still can't face sending my kids there. I'm too traumatized.
Back to top

nicole81




 
 
    
 

Post Sun, Dec 10 2023, 3:36 pm
amother Viola wrote:
I'm about 10 years older than you, I came back to sub for 7th and 8th grade the year after I graduated high school. When I cam into the office they other teachers told me don't even bother trying to teach them. I'll never walk away from a challenge so I walked in to the 8th grade classroom half the girl stood up, took their briefcases and walked out and went home. The other half stayed and really enjoyed the lesson. Didn't fare as well with the 7th graders who treated me - let's say like a lot of 7th graders treat their sub. The school shut down about a year later.


Sounds like they learned disrespect from the hanhala. They deserved to shut down. The English principal basically told us on the spot we were accepted and we just had to meet with the Hebrew principal as a formality and when the time came, after everything went really well, she asked me where I went to high school. I told her public school and the look of pure disgust on her face I'll never forget. She immediately launched into "well you live a bit far, you won't be able to get here every day..." And while we assured her a seven minute drive would not be a problem, we were rejected. This was when they reopened and were trying to fill seats. Good riddance of such a school.
Back to top

amother
Bronze


 

Post Sun, Dec 10 2023, 3:48 pm
Beis yaakov of monsey in the 80's when THE Rebbetzin Solovechik (sp?) ran the place with a very strong hand!!
No uniforms. Great mix of girls. Great education. And for those of us who didn't always tow the line....... We had great fun too!!!
Monsey has changed dramatically, and so have the schools!!
For better?? Don't know. But certainly different!
Hard work, but good memories.
Back to top

amother
Viola


 

Post Sun, Dec 10 2023, 3:50 pm
nicole81 wrote:
Sounds like they learned disrespect from the hanhala. They deserved to shut down. The English principal basically told us on the spot we were accepted and we just had to meet with the Hebrew principal as a formality and when the time came, after everything went really well, she asked me where I went to high school. I told her public school and the look of pure disgust on her face I'll never forget. She immediately launched into "well you live a bit far, you won't be able to get here every day..." And while we assured her a seven minute drive would not be a problem, we were rejected. This was when they reopened and were trying to fill seats. Good riddance of such a school.


Honestly I don't even remember most of the people there because I left in middle of elementary school to BYA when it opened up.
But you should be thankful to the principal for NOT accepting you!! I'm sure you know that is was only a Brocha and that HKB"H was guiding you to find the right school for your child.
Back to top

tryinghard




 
 
    
 

Post Sun, Dec 10 2023, 4:06 pm
amother Indigo wrote:
I went to Bruriah when Mrs Newman was the principal and it was a really strong school with a big mix of hashkafos. I was very RWMO or BY light and felt comfortable there. It went through a lot of transitions after I left and essentially went downhill for a while. Seems to be picking back up and stabilising but I no longer volunteer where I went to high school because it’s so different than who I am today.


I went to Bruriah as well (class of ‘06) and it’s sad that it’s just not the amazing place it used to be…
Back to top

amother
Peru


 

Post Sun, Dec 10 2023, 4:30 pm
Any Chicagoans reading? I went to Arie Crown Hebrew Day school. Around 1977 the Bldg. moved to Skokie. Rabbi Shapiro Z''L was our Principal. A very fine Menahel and Talmid Chochom. When I go on the ACHDS FB and other reading material now, it seems parents more actively taking part of what is happening in school. It also seems the children having a more open connection to teachers.
Back to top
Page 2 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics




Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Was your ac on today?
by amother
9 Yesterday at 9:09 pm View last post
Today is the day!
by amother
75 Yesterday at 2:31 pm View last post
Something fun/different
by amother
2 Tue, Feb 27 2024, 11:01 pm View last post
Did anyone attend the NBN zoom event today?
by amother
6 Mon, Feb 26 2024, 6:54 pm View last post
Is a salad with different veggies inside considered 2 minim?
by amother
4 Sun, Feb 25 2024, 3:23 pm View last post