Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
GOOD PHOTOGHRAPHER FOR A FUSSY PRINCESS
1  2  Next

Mini Cookie

Post Mon, Aug 04 2008, 12:42 pm
I Live in the Brooklyn area and I'm looking for a fantastic but affordable photographer for professional pics for an almost 2 year old little fussy princess.

I tried Sears but she was terrified every time the African American photographer touched her

Any good referrals??? Wink

Beauty and the Beast

Post Mon, Aug 04 2008, 12:58 pm
chayittys portraits does an amazing job. she has a website that you can check out, and I am sure that the many customers on this site can tell you how happy they are! myself included!

Clarissa

Post Mon, Aug 04 2008, 1:00 pm
Mollys Mama wrote:
I Live in the Brooklyn area and I'm looking for a fantastic but affordable photographer for professional pics for an almost 2 year old little fussy princess.

I tried Sears but she was terrified every time the African American photographer touched her

Any good referrals??? Wink
To a therapist to deal with fussy princesses with inordinate fears of African Americans?

Mini Cookie

Post Tue, Aug 05 2008, 3:35 pm
Please don't use that attitude for every post. It really goes against what Imamother is here for "connecting Jewish Mothers"

Clarissa

Post Tue, Aug 05 2008, 3:39 pm
Please be aware that there are African Americans who post here or people connected to African Americans, so to make a point of your child being afraid of an African American might offend or hurt them, and offending and hurting people is not what the site was about.

Tamiri

Post Tue, Aug 05 2008, 3:43 pm
At least the "N" word wasn't used. That's progress!

Clarissa

Post Tue, Aug 05 2008, 3:45 pm
Yep, baby steps, baby steps...

Raisin

Post Tue, Aug 05 2008, 4:01 pm
Clarissa wrote:
Please be aware that there are African Americans who post here or people connected to African Americans, so to make a point of your child being afraid of an African American might offend or hurt them, and offending and hurting people is not what the site was about.

I agree. Your daughter was afraid of the photographer. that may have been for many reasons, unlikely to have been her skin colour. Think about how your post would sound with the word "Jewish" used instead of "African-american".

Tamiri

Post Tue, Aug 05 2008, 4:03 pm
I was thinking more along the lines of "lady in a shpitzel + hat" cause you can't usually SEE when someone is Jewish but mode of dress, skin color, and slant of eyes do tend to stand out.

Lady Godiva

Post Tue, Aug 05 2008, 4:04 pm
She might cry if any photographer tries touching her, white, black, pink or purple.

BennysMommy

Post Tue, Aug 05 2008, 4:10 pm
I think everyone got the point that the child could have been scared of any photographer touching her. It looks like she needs someone that is exceptional with children and affordable. Any ideas for the OP? I don't think she needs all that bashing.

Clarissa

Post Tue, Aug 05 2008, 4:34 pm
BennysMommy wrote:
I think everyone got the point that the child could have been scared of any photographer touching her. It looks like she needs someone that is exceptional with children and affordable. Any ideas for the OP? I don't think she needs all that bashing.
Nobody needs bashing (amothers or people of color), but some awareness will help keep this site bash-free. And personally, I didn't get that point, because there was a point made of his ethnicity, other than just saying she was scared of the photographer. You can't have missed that. The implication would be that this AA man made her especially frightened.

Language is a powerful thing, especially on message boards, where it's all we have.

That said, OP can check out Chayitty's site.

BennysMommy

Post Tue, Aug 05 2008, 4:55 pm
Clarissa wrote:
BennysMommy wrote:
Nobody needs bashing (amothers or people of color), but some awareness will help keep this site bash-free. And personally, I didn't get that point, because there was a point made of his ethnicity, other than just saying she was scared of the photographer. You can't have missed that. The implication would be that this AA man made her especially frightened.

Language is a powerful thing, especially on message boards, where it's all we have.

That said, OP can check out Chayitty's site.

You're right. I think what bothered me was how many times it was said. Not that it was said.

Clarissa

Post Tue, Aug 05 2008, 4:56 pm
Gotcha.

spinkles

Post Tue, Aug 05 2008, 6:39 pm
Huh?

Let's assume that this 2-year-old isn't around many black people. It's *very* normal for a 2-year-old to be skittish around strangers, but especially people who look different from what they're used to. I don't think this needs to be blown out of proportion into a racist comment. It's a developmental stage. My own kids went through the same thing. Anyone who looked different from them made them cry and cling to mommy. Once they get a little older, they outgrow it.

Chocoholic

Post Tue, Aug 05 2008, 6:45 pm
Why does this thread have to turn into a topic on Political Correctness?

Clarissa

Post Tue, Aug 05 2008, 6:50 pm
Chocoholic wrote:
Why does this thread have to turn into a topic on Political Correctness?
I made the original comment (a joke, by the way) because the OP posted something I found questionable. It has turned into a thread on Political Correctness because she told me how rude I was, when, in fact, saying something racist is rude.

It would have died down, but I'm certainly not going to be told about how I'm not conforming to the nice, Kumbaya-ness of the board by someone who has just posted something offensive.

So that's how it happened.

eta: Chana f, if you really can't see the difference between saying what you're saying (that my kid is nervous around strangers or people who look different, which was not said, by the way) and the pointed comment about the AA photographer being the problem, then I guess you don't understand. I'll have to learn to carry on somehow. I often wonder when kids freak out around a particular ethnic group whether some of the feelings carry through from something they pick from Mommy and Daddy.

Last edited by Clarissa on Tue, Aug 05 2008, 7:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

Raisin

Post Tue, Aug 05 2008, 6:55 pm
chana_f wrote:
Huh?

Let's assume that this 2-year-old isn't around many black people. It's *very* normal for a 2-year-old to be skittish around strangers, but especially people who look different from what they're used to. I don't think this needs to be blown out of proportion into a racist comment. It's a developmental stage. My own kids went through the same thing. Anyone who looked different from them made them cry and cling to mommy. Once they get a little older, they outgrow it.

My kids used to be beyond terrified of this sweet old lady who lived near us. She wore rather a lot a make up, and the effect was quite scary. there is also a kid in my sons class who would be terrified to come to shul because of the scary man in a beard. (my dh!)

so...the op needs to tell us how she dresses, so we can find a photographer who looks similar. eg is she a shpitzel or a snood wearer? sheital or bandanna? stockings or sockless?

Clarissa

Post Tue, Aug 05 2008, 6:59 pm
Raisin wrote:
so...the op needs to tell us how she dresses, so we can find a photographer who looks similar. eg is she a shpitzel or a snood wearer? sheital or bandanna? stockings or sockless?
Another vote of confidence for Chayitty, based on that alone. Not that many snood-shpitzel-whatever wearing photographers out there. Luckily, she takes nice pictures, as well.

Raisin

Post Tue, Aug 05 2008, 7:05 pm
Clarissa wrote:
Raisin wrote:
Another vote of confidence for Chayitty, based on that alone. Not that many snood-shpitzel-whatever wearing photographers out there. Luckily, she takes nice pictures, as well.

What makes you think the op is a shpitzle or snood wearer? (2 very different things, btw, I think you need a female version of the hat website) And I have no idea what chayitty wears either!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries