Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cookbooks
New kosher by design
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

3Qts

Post Sat, Nov 15 2008, 7:36 pm
Mine arrived today! Looks like a great cookbook

ClaRivka

Post Sat, Nov 15 2008, 7:45 pm
I think im gonna have to wait til my dh buys it for me for a chanukah gift....Sad

pinktichel

Post Sun, Nov 16 2008, 7:41 am
I want Dh to buy it for me while he's in NY. Quick question: Are they new recipes or old ones that were adjusted?

rachie

Post Sun, Nov 16 2008, 10:33 am
they are new recipes and much healthier.

pinktichel

Post Sun, Nov 16 2008, 1:16 pm
rachie wrote:
they are new recipes and much healthier.

thank you!

cookielady

Post Sun, Nov 16 2008, 2:19 pm
Those that have the new one, let us know how it is. I want to know if it's worth getting. Are the ingredients things you would have in the house, etc.

TIA

Aidelmom

Post Sun, Nov 16 2008, 2:21 pm
for a sampling of recipes from the cookbook go to aish.com

rachie

Post Sun, Nov 16 2008, 4:35 pm
I think a lot of the recipes are complicated and don't use ingredients that you have in the house. There are some nice recipes though...I wouldn't use it for everyday cooking but it is nice for Shabbos.

shopaholic

Post Mon, Nov 17 2008, 1:28 pm
They look like all new recipes - not necessarily very low fat, but healthier products, more grains & whole wheat etc. Some things look great. Can't wait to start cooking!

Shimmysmom

Post Thu, Nov 20 2008, 9:45 am
so, anyone made anything yet????

ClaRivka

Post Fri, Dec 12 2008, 2:55 pm
bump

DefyGravity

Post Fri, Dec 12 2008, 2:58 pm
http://thejewishstar.wordpress.....s-up/

Here are three recipes from the cookbook.

greeneyes

Post Fri, Dec 12 2008, 3:02 pm
Shimmysmom wrote:
so, anyone made anything yet????

Here's what I made so far:
zuchinni lentil soup with those crispy eggroll wrapper thingies
brown rice with edamame
green beans with garlic dill dressing
green tea applesauce cake

All great recipes so far!

I'd love to hear what everyone else tried...

cookielady

Post Fri, Dec 12 2008, 3:25 pm
Lebanese chick pea salad - good
couscous/craisin/pecan - disappointing
carrot salad - good, something I make anyway but I followed hers to see how it would come out. Too spicy for dh but the others will love it.

OOTBubby

Post Fri, Dec 12 2008, 3:40 pm
I bought it and found very few things I was interested in trying and most of those either contained ingredients I don't have (many of which I've never heard of) or equipment which I don't own or intend to buy.

I tried the Cherry-Pistachio Biscotti and thought it was awful. I don't think the instructions were adequate as it gave a baking time of 25-30 mins. (relatively large range in my opinion) with no way to guage when it was done.

It totally fell apart when I sliced it, and thought it tasted terrible.

ClaRivka

Post Fri, Dec 12 2008, 3:50 pm
So far I have not seen one recipe listed here that I think I wud b interested in trying....except maybe the green tea applesauce cake.

Aribenj

Post Fri, Dec 12 2008, 4:15 pm
ClaRivka wrote:
So far I have not seen one recipe listed here that I think I wud b interested in trying....except maybe the green tea applesauce cake.

ITA. I'm kinda dissapointed. love Susie Fishbein, but none of the recipes in that book look good to me. But then again, maybe that's why I'm 50+lbs overweight....

yOungM0mmy

Post Sat, Dec 13 2008, 1:57 pm
DH bought this for me. I have made the curried cauliflower soup, which both DH and I loved, but the kids wouldn't touch (not that I'm surprised), and the spicy butternut squash fries, which I loved, but found VERY spicy, even tho I skipped the chilli powder. I bought quinoa, I want to try the stuffed tomatoes with quinoa next, or even just the quinoa recipe without putting it in the tomatoes.

SingALong

Post Sat, Dec 13 2008, 11:13 pm
my mom just got me the book. I liked her intro about oils, beans, grains, and nuts, and all about teh health benifits of various ingredients. additionally, by each recipe she mentions the health benefits of the foods used.

I so far tried and liked:

wheat germ crusted chicken cutlets (pg 148) but I just baked them in a regular 9x13 and kept checking ot make sure they didnt dry out.

braised turkey (pg 140) but I used a dark turkey roast, delicious

za'tar rubbed halibut (pg 214) but I did it with sole instead and I like it better without the dressing.

cedar planked salmon (pg 218) but I skipped the whole cedar thing and just baked the salmon with the spices listed

tomorrow I want to make the greens and garlic pg 270 but I dont know how to check the spinach for any infestation.

I think most ingredients are the typical stuff we usually have in the kitchen. for those original things, I pick 2-3 recipes each week that I'll try and get the ingredients needed. it only ends up being a couple of small things that I need. like last week I bought za'atar from the spice section. I just need to think in advance what I will try.

I love this book so far.

soldat

Post Sat, Dec 13 2008, 11:27 pm
is splenda a main ingridient?
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics