Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cookbooks
New kosher by design
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

bubby

Post Sun, Dec 14 2008, 12:31 am
Well, you ladies have just saved me nearly $30.00. It doesn't sound like a practical cookbook at all...za'atar??? What on earth is that? I felt very daring when I bought cumin. embarrassed Aribenj, I'm with you. A friend just sent me a link to healthygirl.com. That sounds more like my style.

cookielady

Post Mon, Dec 15 2008, 11:32 am
I did learn something new from the cookbook. I saw a recipe that called for mirin. I had never heard of it, so I looked it up. It's a Japanese sweet wine or something.

At least it will look nice with my cookbook collection. 8)

greeneyes

Post Mon, Dec 15 2008, 4:11 pm
soldat wrote:
is splenda a main ingridient?

No, I don't think splenda is used in any of the recipes.

bubby

Post Mon, Dec 22 2008, 10:50 am
I'm resurrecting this thread...DH bought me the book (shrink-wrapped so I can't peek) & I don't know if I should keep it. I really wanted the MIL book, but my adorable SIL said "What do you need that for?" Aaaww!! Isn't he sweet!

So. Is this KBD worth keeping or not??

NativeMom

Post Mon, Dec 22 2008, 12:34 pm
My husband just bought the new one for me as a birthday gift. I looked through the recipes and they all seem doable to me. There are a few I want to try now but I'm on vacation, I'll have to wait until I get home.

beth

Post Wed, Dec 31 2008, 2:55 pm
I have it!its beautiful but just like the others it has hard to get ingredients.

LibraMommy

Post Wed, Dec 31 2008, 3:06 pm
My IL's gave it to us for Chanukah. I've been wanting it so I'm pretty happy. There are quite a few recipes that DH and I would liket to try.

ClaRivka

Post Wed, Dec 31 2008, 3:08 pm
I was disappointed. DH gave it to me for chanuka. im returning it.

cookielady

Post Mon, Jan 05 2009, 8:33 pm
I made a great recipe from there. I made the tex-mex turkey meatballs. E/o liked them and it was easy to make.

bubby

Post Mon, Jan 05 2009, 8:50 pm
Well, I opened it. What I was very surprised at was that there is no nutritional info...if it's supposed to be a "healthy" cookbook, why wouldn't she post fat, calories, salt, fiber etc etc etc?

Waste of $$.

Cookie, I'm back!! YAY!!!

YChannah

Post Mon, Jan 05 2009, 9:43 pm
does anyone know where to get the miso paste? its on the first page in the fish section, it looks delish! but I have been searching and searching and cannot find it anywhere!!! I've made a couple things from it so far. I got it as a gift, but would probobly not buy it myself.

bubby

Post Mon, Jan 05 2009, 9:56 pm
Try specialty shops or health food stores.

YChannah

Post Mon, Jan 05 2009, 9:59 pm
I have, I guess I'll continue looking.
Thanks

queen

Post Tue, Jan 06 2009, 12:43 am
I bought it and then DH surprised me 2 days later buying it for me too (didn't realize I had just picked it up)

Well, needless to say, we returned both copies Sad
I was in a rush and only looked through it once I got home and was not impressed. From entire book only 2 recipes looked interesting to me, using my kinds of foods/or typical foods my hubbie would eat.

Oh well, I do own all her other books and liked very much the others. The "Light" one however I was highly disappointed with.

bubby

Post Tue, Jan 06 2009, 7:58 am
If I can drag myself away from imamother I'm going to contact her via her website, publishers, whatever to find out why she didn't put in nutritional info. It really bothers me...how do I know if these recipes ARE healthy? Because they use olive oil instead of peanut oil? Because some paid dietician writes a gushing blurb?

I feel we've been conned.

mommyofgirls

Post Tue, Jan 06 2009, 9:25 am
greeneyes, how did you make the chicken or vegetable stock for the zuchinni soup?

STovah

Post Tue, Jan 06 2009, 10:45 am
I was also pretty shocked that nutritional info was omitted - all the blurbs about the wonderful medicinal values the different spices have could've been in any of her other cookbooks - it seems once you get past the title, there's not much about 'lightening up' in the cookbook.

NativeMom

Post Tue, Jan 06 2009, 4:13 pm
I noticed that too, the only recipes I noticed were diet was the fat free tuna salad? and the recipes that called for low fat mayo.
I did make the green beans in garlic dill sauce and we liked that. I haven't tried anything else though.

greeneyes

Post Wed, Jan 07 2009, 3:22 pm
mommyofgirls wrote:
greeneyes, how did you make the chicken or vegetable stock for the zuchinni soup?

I used parve chicken soup mix dissolved in boiling water. Leiber's makes a non-MSG version.

Blair

Post Thu, Feb 05 2009, 8:05 am
I have so many cookbooks and I must say the best cookbook is Spice and Spirit or as most people call it THE PURPLE COOKBOOK. I also have the one for Peasach as well. Susie Fishbein cookbooks are nice but all the same I have not bought the new one but I do have all of the other ones. The childrens one also had lots of recipes from her other books.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics