Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Sephardic Food
Ground dried apricots

username

Post Wed, Aug 06 2008, 12:19 pm
I once tasted something at a sefardi relatives house, not sure what its called. It was sweet, the main ingredient was ground dried apricots and there was a nut in there too, which was formed into a ball and wasn't cooked or baked after. I know I dont sound to coherent - but do any of you know what I'm talking about? Do you have the recipe for it?

TheBeinoni

Post Wed, Aug 20 2008, 8:45 pm
I know what you are talking about.. be"H will post a recipe tomorrow!

greenfire

Post Wed, Aug 20 2008, 9:03 pm
ooh sounds interesting ...

username

Post Wed, Aug 27 2008, 1:15 pm
Just checked back in here! Glad someone knows what I'm talking about. Hot Mama - waiting for the recipe!

Thanks!

Chocoholic

Post Wed, Aug 27 2008, 2:15 pm
It sounds real YUM...

ShakleeMom

Post Wed, Aug 27 2008, 3:55 pm
I want I want

PIP

Post Wed, Aug 27 2008, 4:50 pm
It's called Mish-Mosh, but I'm gunna let hotmama post the recipe, since I never actually tried mine. Wouldn't wanna spoil it for everyone Wink
Doesn't contain much though, just dried apricots sugar and pistachios.

Hotmama, everyone's waiting............... :-D

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Sep 22 2008, 9:13 am
I LOVE those apricot rolls (at least that's what we used to call). I usually get it in stores (Mansoura Bakery in Brooklyn). I think they can ship them--check the website. They can keep forever in freezer.

Tamiri

Post Mon, Sep 22 2008, 9:19 am
PrettyInPink wrote:
It's called Mish-Mosh, but I'm gunna let hotmama post the recipe, since I never actually tried mine. Wouldn't wanna spoil it for everyone Wink
Doesn't contain much though, just dried apricots sugar and pistachios.

Hotmama, everyone's waiting............... :-D

Mishmesh is Hebrew (or maybe taken for Arabic?) for Apricot.
Hot Mama hasn't been on for quite some time.

TheBeinoni

Post Tue, Sep 23 2008, 7:50 pm
Hi everyone! I'm sorry to have kept you all waiting. Things have been a little....crazy.

This recipe is taken from Aromas of Aleppo by Poopa Dweck

"Helou Mishmosh"
Candied Apricots with Pistachios (I hope this is what the OP was referring to....)

1/2 lb pistachios, shelled, blanched and peeled
3 lbs dried apricots (which is "mishmosh" in arabic, "mishmish" in hebrew!)
1 cup cold shira (dessert syrup - combine 3 cups sugar, 2 teaspoons lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon orange blossom water and 1 cup of water in pot over medium heat, stir constantly until boils, reduce to low and simmer for 15 mins until mixture slides down back of spoon. allow to cool, use immediately or pour into jar and refrigerate. keeps for 2 months)

1. pour pistachios into small saucepan filled with boiling water. reduce heat to low and simmer for 2 minutes. DO NOT boil for too long or nuts will get soft. drain and set aside.

2. using a steamer basket over pot of boiling water, steam the apricots in batches for 4-5 mins, tossing occasionally to make sure apricots are evenly softened.

3. while apricots are hot, process a few at a time in food processor, pulsing several times or until smooth. repeat with remaining apricots.

4. combine cold "shira" (dessert syrup) and apricot paste in med saucepan. toss in the pistachios, bring to boil over medium-high heat. reduce heat to low and simmer for about 15 minutes or until mixture forms a paste.

5. line the bottom of a 15.5x10.5 in rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. pour mixture into tray. to dry paste, leave try out uncovered or lightly covered with foil for 1 week.

6. slide a sharp knife along the edges of the tray. turn out the past onto a flat cutting surface and cut diagonally to make diamond shapes about 1 1/4 inches wide. lasts for 3-4 weeks in candy dish covered with foil (plastic wrap will make them soggy).

Lady Godiva

Post Tue, Sep 23 2008, 7:52 pm
Hi Hotmama! Haven't seen you forevah!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics