Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
Making Meal for Someone who Just Gave Birth

sv9506

Post Thu, Aug 07 2008, 8:35 am
I am planning to make a meal next week and I wanted some suggestions.
Their older children are really into vegetables (most kinds) so I wanted to make a chicken (on the bone) dish that includes veggies in it. Also it needs to be something that I can prepare the night before and will still be good after sitting in the fridge overnight (I will cook it fresh that day but it needs to be in the fridge prepared so that my DH can just pop it into the oven and I will drop t off when I get home - it needs to get there by a certain time and I won't have time to prep, cook and deliver it by the time I get home from work). Any suggestions?

msym

Post Thu, Aug 07 2008, 8:54 am
this is waht I ussually make for after birth dinners and always get rave reviews:
Shake and bake chicken (make thick dressing of mayo water and spices and marinate chicken if u have time otherwise just dip chicken in mayo dressing and then into corn flake crumbs

side dish of israeli couscous wiht sauted onions
veggie dish of sauted squash or corn on the cob

kids and adults ussually love this
if I have time I also make cookies/cake for dessert

so what do u think?

sv9506

Post Thu, Aug 07 2008, 8:57 am
That sounds good, a few questions -

Do you marinate the chicken in the mayo, water and spices? Do you think overnight is ok?

Do you put any other veggies with the squash (like onions) or just that?

msym

Post Thu, Aug 07 2008, 11:52 am
oh and I forgot - I take the skin off the chicken!
u can definetly marinate it overnite its prob even better that way but if im short on time I marinate it for like 1/2 hour to an hour or not at all.
mix/dilute 2-3 heaping tablespoons of mayo wiht spices(paprika,oniion pwdr,garlic pwdr, drop salt , pepper) wiht a little water at a time to make a creamy dressing-like consistency(personally I think its better thicker than thinner)
for the squash I saute onions and add cubed/quatered squash in a large skillet or wok towards the end I add salt and pepper- I find that it sometimes takes a while for it to soften up
hope this helps

Helani

Post Thu, Aug 07 2008, 11:56 am
I would include salad/fruit salad or soup...good things to eat after having the baby. Smile Also, if it's hot outside how about making something that could be eaten cold or at room temperature.

MMEC123

Post Thu, Aug 07 2008, 12:27 pm
Here's something I often do. It's easy, one-dish and delicious! If you add a soup or salad or dessert, it's a very filling meal.
(This is for about 4 adult size servings)
Put one cup (brown) rice on the bottom of a 9X13 pan. Cube 2 carrots, 2 sweet potatoes & two yellow squash on top of the rice. Put 4 chicken bottoms on top. Spice chicken as desired (I use poultry seasoning). Pour 2 cups boiling water into rice. Cover with 2 pieces of foil (double wrap) and bake at 350 for 2 1/2 hours.

DREAMING

Post Thu, Aug 07 2008, 12:42 pm
any soup can be made in advance.

if you fry/bake breaded chicken cutlets the night before they don't even need to be warmed up (can be eaten both warm and cold)

Lizajen

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 6:32 am
Any suggestions for a milchig meal to make for someone who just gave birth?

ectomorph

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 6:47 am
Lizajen wrote:
Any suggestions for a milchig meal to make for someone who just gave birth?
pizza always goes over well. I'm a fan of homemade

ra_mom

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 7:03 am
Prepare a pan of bone-in chicken and another pan of veggies preseasoned the night before. A smaller pan of seasoned rice. Your dh can add water before placing that in the oven with the rest of the pans.
You can prepare a container of natural cubed pineapple that you poured from a can too.

Lizajen

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 7:06 am
Thanx for the pizza suggestion as I need to make milchig. What else should I make with it?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 7:08 am
Lizajen wrote:
Thanx for the pizza suggestion as I need to make milchig. What else should I make with it?

I've made creamy baked ziti, zesty Greek couscous salad and cut vegetables with dip (per the family's preferences).

ectomorph

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 7:33 am
Lizajen wrote:

Veggie soup and cut up fruit would be plenty. Some ppl sent only pizza and French fries and I wss happy w that too.

dankbar

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 9:13 am
Baked fish. French onion soup with melted cheese. Mashed potatoes. Lasagne or baked ziti. Cantaloupe cubes with cottage cheese. Tuna patties. Caesar salad with parmesan cheese or shredded cheddar cheese. Cheese blintzes. Cheese latkes. Noodle/cheese kugel. Spinach. Broccoli soup with melted cheese. Nish nosh salad. Homemade pudding. Cheesecake. Mock liver. Israeli salad. Anything goes. Yogurt with granola. Fruit yogurt shakes.

ectomorph

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 9:15 am
ra_mom wrote:
I've made creamy baked ziti, zesty Greek couscous salad and cut vegetables with dip (per the family's preferences).
lol ra mom be careful- you're raising the bar

ra_mom

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 9:18 am
ectomorph wrote:
lol ra mom be careful- you're raising the bar

It was simple to make. I prepped the ziti night before, baked fresh. Cut veggies night before. Couscous was easy to make fresh with boiling water - like instant.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey