Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Where to buy a wig?

BusyBeeMommy

Post Thu, Aug 07 2008, 2:12 pm
OK, so after 2+ years of marriage, I have only had one sheital that was decent. I got two sheitals when I was engaged, and one was a custom that was a lemon. It has been in repair until today. So I got a cheap backup that I never really liked, and I got it out of haste, and now it tore and is beyond repair. My original lemon-custom is, as I found out just today, also beyond repair, and it will cost a few hundred $ to get new hair for it. Pretty sticky cuz the prs who did it is a family friend so I cant really get reimbursed or a new sheital. ANYWAY... DH and I finally decided that even though it's a very big expense on us (we are both in school now), I will spend the $ to get a decent wig since I never had a decent weekday wig. Soooo, now comes the hard part. I need to find a place that sells high-quality wigs in Flatbush/BP. Preferably one where the first cut is included w/ the purchase of a wig. AND, I'd like for them to have a good backup policy so if I have problems w/ my wig, they can fix it and be nice about it. I wear a blond wig, I know there are some places that specialize in different colors. Also, I want a place that is nice - not somewhere that makes u feel like ur a headache if u come back b/c there's a prob. w/ the cut or hair knotting or what not... So, any suggestions? I'm willing to pay the full price as I'd rather get a wig that is backed up and will last me longer than the cheaper companies that will not do anything for u if it's after a month that u bought the wig. Also, the cheaper companies do not include the cost of the cut which is usually around $300. Anyone had a REALLY nice experience at a sheital macher in my area? Thanks for your help! Oh, and I wear a long sheital - not overly long, I think it's 18 inches?

yersp

Post Thu, Aug 07 2008, 2:18 pm
I've never bought a wig yet from Milano (on McDonald avenue) but I've heard from lots of people who were happy with them. You might even by lucky and still chap aryn in their sale (not sure if theyre still having it though) Good Luck!

BusyBeeMommy

Post Thu, Aug 07 2008, 3:31 pm
Thanks, but last time I went there to get a wig w/ my friend, the place was a madhouse w/ ppl just trying wigs on and off. No one was there to help and I dont think they include the cut. Also, they dont back up their wigs, so if u paid $1,000 for a wig and it turns out to be a lemon, ur stuck.

sporty

Post Thu, Aug 07 2008, 4:13 pm
I had a wonderful experience at Shevy's on Coney Island Ave. I also am blond and also wear long. I paid a lot (its not custom, but they adjusted the color to match my own hair and the cut was included) It's pretty new, I only have mine a few months but it's by far my favorite. I was scared to wear it I loved it so much but I do. It's a full sheitel and a bit heavy, and sometimes I think I should go get a band fall from them to use for everyday ( which is much less money too) and save this sheitel for good occasions but since I just spent all this money I cant buy another one right now so I am going to use it.

Their customer service was so nice. Mine got knotty immediately, so I took it back and they sent it out for a few weeks to get re-sewn and it came back MUCH better. It still knots a little, but its very long and blond and that kind of hair is prone to knotting. They told me to brush it twice a day.

They know what they are doing there. You can take time and try on different styles and choose what you want and they stand by their product.

That's my two cents! Good luck! Smile

azoy

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 10:46 am
shevy does AMAZING blondes - the best I've seen!

Lauren Eisenberger in Flatbush specializes in Shevys, she is great at matching up colors, and cut is included. her customer service is amazing. After purchasing a wig from her, I needed the cap taken in and she sent me to Shevy who took care of me, no charge.

Lauren - 718.692.4778

str82thepoint

Post Mon, Oct 27 2008, 3:26 pm
Shevy used to be the best, but recently has been not doing so well due to huge knotting problems with their wigs. I would recommend that you try a Shuly- I have been b''h thrilled with mine. I was a very difficult color to match and Shuly had a lot to choose from and they have really good customer service. I think their prices are comparable to Shevy (Shuly is a bit more affordable). 2 of my friends got both a Shuly and a Shevy when they got engaged and both prefer their Shulys.

Mrs.K

Post Mon, Oct 27 2008, 3:52 pm
Someone took me to Freeda in Crown Heights when I was in the states for Pesach and I was very pleased.
It's kind of like you walk in and just pick what you want off the shelf. They cut and/or style it on your head and your out the door within the hour. It also had 3 free wash and blows (though I'm not sure if that was a temporary deal or what.)
Good luck!

ss321

Post Mon, Oct 27 2008, 5:02 pm
so im not blond but I hear this israeli guy david is amazing with blonde. every time ive seen a beautiful blonde sheitel its been from his company. I can try to find the number, I dont even know where he operates out of, but being that all the wigs ive seen and complimented people on, have been hre in bklyn, I dont assume theyre all traveling too far...

dillie

Post Mon, Oct 27 2008, 5:57 pm
Yali in Cedarhurst is known for her blondes. The same price range as Shevy- which is to say, pricey. But I firmly believe that you get what you pay for.
Definitely do not go to Milano. You might get lucky- but you probably won't.

ss321

Post Mon, Oct 27 2008, 6:01 pm
dillie wrote:

Definitely do not go to Milano. You might get lucky- but you probably won't.

totally agreed. you get what you pay for.

also, yaels in lawrence. not top of my list of good quality. and definitely dont stand by their products.

NativeMom

Post Mon, Oct 27 2008, 7:05 pm
I'm blond, I have a blond freida with highlights and another strawberry blond shaitel that was a total disaster. I need a long one. What's the price range for shevys? And doesn't shevy on coney island ave charge $100 for a consult? where can you find Shulys? I haven't bought a new shaitel in 4 years so I don't know where to begin, everything seems different.

rachie

Post Wed, Oct 29 2008, 3:12 pm
I dont know about bklyn but I went to yael's in cedarhurst and also qourum in cedarhurst.
I was pleased w yael but I think quorum is even better.
it is a hair salon on central ave and they have wigs there too. the person in charge of the wigs is actually a non jewish man but he does not see your hair or touch you (he cuts obviously but no touching). he is an amazing cutter. I recommend both those places but I think quorum carries more wigs than yael's.

bebe3

Post Wed, Oct 29 2008, 3:33 pm
Shevys has precut wigs, they are pricey but very worth it. They are great for matching colors and their show room is really nice. They are also great about customer service.

Lani22

Post Wed, Oct 29 2008, 3:43 pm
bebe3 wrote:
Shevys has precut wigs, they are pricey but very worth it. They are great for matching colors and their show room is really nice. They are also great about customer service.

I do agree that Shevys wigs are fantastic (I have 3) I do not agree with you regarding their customer service. I went in to their showroom as a kallah. I felt very very rushed and like I was not given any attention at all. I literally tried on 2 wigs and was told to quickly choose something. I chose thank g-d a beautiful wig that I am thrilled with but was very dissapointed with the way I was treated. About a year later I decided to give them a second chance b/c I needed a fall. I thought this time I would be treated better as I was a repeat customer who spent a small fortune on my previous purchase ( I bought the most expensive wig they sell). Again I was rushed and talked into buying the first wig I tried on. I think their merchandise is really top qaulity but their service is kind of blahhhhh.

mommy24

Post Wed, Oct 29 2008, 3:49 pm
where is the shevy showroom? also anyone know what the price range is for their precut shaitels, I am looking for a shorter shaitel- shoulder legnth.

babygirl

Post Wed, Oct 29 2008, 3:53 pm
I used Esther Tobias on Coney she has the BEST policy....Shes not happy until you are...a year after I got my wig I sent it in to add hair and she did it free of charge....my other wig (very long) was getting frizzy and she treated and blew it free of charge as well and told me to send it in if I have that problem again...she really is the best

girl2009

Post Thu, Mar 12 2009, 12:49 am
I was very happy with rachels wig they doing from scrach u pick the color the showing u the hair befor they put on they have garentinon there wig u will be happy if u need the number is 718-753-5495
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels