Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
What can I put on a shelf above a stove?
1  2  Next

mandksima

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 7:31 am
Right now I have a space above my stove where I'd love to put a shelf and a few too many small appliances on my counters. I don't want the steam from a boiling pot of chicken soup to rise up and ruin cookbooks or whatever else I put on the shelf. I'm not sure if a toaster oven would be too high up to be placed on there. Is there anything anyone recommends for using that space well? I have a lot of cabinets already and they'll be hard to match anyway so what could I put on a shelf there?

yo'ma

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 7:34 am
I have pans that I don't use that are still in the box and ice trays because I have so many. The steam doesn't reach there though because I have an overhead thing above the stove. I don't know what it's called.

RachelEve14

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 8:22 am
I always kept cookbooks on a shelf there, nothing ever happened.

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 8:45 am
Spices.

Tehilla

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 8:56 am
wouldn't the heat ruin the spices?

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 9:02 am
I don't know. Or you can put bottles on the shelf that are frequently used, such as oil, vinegar, soy sauce, teriyaki, etc.

octopus

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 9:05 am
aluminum foil?

biz120

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 10:23 am
I keep my candles, candle holders, plastic tablecloths, etc. Nothing has ever happened. My candles don't stick t/g or a/t...
You should be able to keep really a/t there. Def. cookbooks though.

Pineapple

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 10:25 am
DefyGravity wrote:
Spices.

The heat can bring bugs

Pineapple

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 10:26 am
pesach boxes

chavy

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 11:31 am
microwave

greenfire

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 11:46 am
spices do ruin from the heat ...

oils can be dangerous ...

hm ... I wouldn't think you could put much there w/o it getting ruined ...

Rutabaga

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 1:16 pm
We used to live in a studio apartment with a tiny kitchen. We put 2 metal shelves above the stove. I kept all my baking pans and cookie sheets up there, plus my really big pareve pot that didn't fit in anywhere else.

bebe3

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 1:23 pm
yo'ma wrote:
I have pans that I don't use that are still in the box and ice trays because I have so many. The steam doesn't reach there though because I have an overhead thing above the stove. I don't know what it's called.

It's called a hood, if I'm not mistaken

greenfire

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 1:23 pm
you could put a kool brass spoon hanger and hang ladles and flippers and a small pan or 2 ... it's gotta be antique looking though for it to be kool ...

mandksima

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 1:28 pm
greenfire wrote:
you could put a kool brass spoon hanger and hang ladles and flippers and a small pan or 2 ... it's gotta be antique looking though for it to be kool ...

thanks for all the suggestions! I live in a very dusty area so I think I might put up a shelf for cookbooks. There's room for 2 shelves and I have a lot of cookbooks that are taking up precious space in my cabinets. I wanted to get a microwave and toaster oven off the counters but I think they'll be too high up for easy access.

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 1:30 pm
The thing about shelves is that once one is installed, stuff naturally gravitates towards it.

Fabulous

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 1:35 pm
I put my blender and food processor there, both of which I only use while cooking for Shabbos. So one day a week it is a little high up and to put it back, I wait for dh to come home.

Toot

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 1:45 pm
mandksima wrote:
Right now I have a space above my stove where I'd love to put a shelf and a few too many small appliances on my counters.

Are these small appliances your microwave and toaster oven, or different things? I put up a shelf above my counter for cookbooks and chachkas, and another couple of shelves for display. How big a shelf are you putting up? I'm having trouble picturing it.

mandksima

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 2:24 pm
MorahS wrote:
mandksima wrote:
Right now I have a space above my stove where I'd love to put a shelf and a few too many small appliances on my counters.

Are these small appliances your microwave and toaster oven, or different things? I put up a shelf above my counter for cookbooks and chachkas, and another couple of shelves for display. How big a shelf are you putting up? I'm having trouble picturing it.

Well, I have upper and lower cabinets everywhere except nothing over the oven/stove. I hung a picture there where there is a big space. About 2 feet wide and space for 2 shelves, one above another, at least, meaning more than 3 feet high. I would have to use a ladder to reach some of the cookbooks if I put them there, but that's ok. I won't be able to put the appliances like the toaster and micro up there along with the cookbooks and I want to put something there that will look nice and not be used all the time.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics