Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Sephardic Food
Bucharian Food?

Sunflower99

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 10:29 pm
My husband is Bucharian and WISHES I could make him Bucharian food...Anyone have any recipes??

Ruchel

Post Tue, Aug 12 2008, 7:19 am
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B.....isine

I've been to a Buchari restaurant in Israel. Very different but very good. They make a lot of stuff with hearts and beitzim, too.

Tamiri

Post Tue, Aug 12 2008, 7:23 am
There is a Buchari restaurant in Queens, or at at least there was more than five but less than eight years ago. The dishes contained lots of rice. It was simple, good food.
We have eaten Buchari in Israel as well. I believe that it's close to Persian cooking, but I am not sure of that.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Aug 12 2008, 7:48 am
They probably have common dishes, but I didn't find that typical Buchari and typical Persian are so close at all... Persian is more with rice and heavy sauce, Buchari is more grilled with cooked salads and totally different spices and marinades...

TheBeinoni

Post Wed, Aug 27 2008, 8:04 pm
I knew many Bucharian/Kafkazi/etc kids when I was in college. When they would have a bday party they would do a bbq (but really more american stuff) but their mothers would make a delicious chicken soup, some sort of dumpling with meat inside, tons of rice and onions (caramalized (sp???) if I remember correctly) and shish kabobs.

Tamiri ur right, they are similar dishes just with diff spices. The persian spices are more "exotic" and bucharian spices are more simple (if that makes any sense).

ShakleeMom

Post Wed, Aug 27 2008, 8:36 pm
Tamiri wrote:
There is a Buchari restaurant in Queens, or at at least there was more than five but less than eight years ago. The dishes contained lots of rice. It was simple, good food.
We have eaten Buchari in Israel as well. I believe that it's close to Persian cooking, but I am not sure of that.
OMG I was there once, the Beef soup is to die for!!!!!!!!!! What is it called again? That's the place with the bar? Oh the memories!

crbc

Post Wed, Aug 27 2008, 11:12 pm
Sephardic Cooking
This book has a very nice section on Bukharian dishes under Jews of Uzbekistan , the rest of the book is great also. If you (or dh) read Russian , there is a book called
"Kukhnya I byt Bukharskikh yevreyev" from 1996, published by HOASCANIM 212-509-1378 I don't know if you can get a copy now?

Last edited by crbc on Wed, Aug 27 2008, 11:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

mammala120

Post Wed, Aug 27 2008, 11:25 pm
ShakleeMom wrote:
Tamiri wrote:
OMG I was there once, the Beef soup is to die for!!!!!!!!!! What is it called again? That's the place with the bar? Oh the memories!
DO U MEAN LAGMAN....WITH THICK HAND MADE NOODLES

ShakleeMom

Post Wed, Aug 27 2008, 11:26 pm
no. it resembled a cholent.

crbc

Post Wed, Aug 27 2008, 11:32 pm
Yeminite Soup?

ShakleeMom

Post Wed, Aug 27 2008, 11:34 pm
maybe> I am pretty sure they called it beef soup on the menu. mmmmmmmmmmmmm

Tamiri

Post Thu, Aug 28 2008, 12:48 am
I don't remember anything about the place except that it was about 8 years ago, night-time and we found it by accident getting lost in Queens. It was not that full, but there were some old men there and a little boy or two, child/ren of the waitress or someting. By now the child/ren would be teens.

ShakleeMom

Post Thu, Aug 28 2008, 10:32 am
same here, don't rmmbr much but the food was heaven and there was a bar.

Tamiri

Post Tue, Sep 02 2008, 7:28 am
There is an article in today's ynet (Hebrew) with a few Bucharian recipes.

http://www.ynet.co.il/articles......html

Tamiri

Post Tue, Sep 02 2008, 7:30 am
Ruchel wrote:
They probably have common dishes, but I didn't find that typical Buchari and typical Persian are so close at all... Persian is more with rice and heavy sauce, Buchari is more grilled with cooked salads and totally different spices and marinades...

If you read the article, you may note that they mention Buchrian dishes being heavily influenced by the kitchens of China, India and Persia.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Sep 02 2008, 7:32 am
That's interesting. I really didn't notice (dh and I are restaurants nuts and see very distinct styles in these 4 cuisines), although of course it makes sense.

Amital

Post Sun, Sep 07 2008, 3:33 am
Check out this website: http://www.bjews.com/

It's got a bunch of dishes commonly served that are listed, and you can search from there. There's also a forum for discussion and questions!

BeershevaBubby

Post Sun, Sep 07 2008, 4:45 am
Is it feasible for you to ask your MIL (or SILs) for recipes and Buchari cookbooks she'd recommend?

ihyphenated

Post Sun, Sep 07 2008, 11:50 pm
this is sooooo funny my husband and I were going to go to cheburechenaya (the one in queens with the bar) tonite but it was too late.....
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics