Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Sephardic Food
Another Friday Night Fish (moroccanyemeniteegyptian???)

TheBeinoni

Post Sun, Aug 17 2008, 5:22 am
Just made this recipe up on Friday, and we LOVED it! I will definitely be making it a lot in place of the Moroccan fish (posted).

WHAT YOU NEED:

- Fish (I use tilapia filets)
- About 3 small onions per 2 fillets (or just how every much you like; don't forget they shrink in size when sauteing them)
- Can of chickpeas, drained and skins peeled off
- Whole cloves of garlic to taste - we like a lot, so I put about 9 or so.
- Tumeric (carcum)
- Cumin
- Curry powder
- Cayenne pepper
- (Osem chicken powder, I don't remember if I actually used this, but I think I did.. it probably doesn't make a huge difference, other than makes it saltier, so you use less actual salt)
- Salt
- Olive oil
- Water

1. Slice onions into rings. Saute in a pan coated with olive oil (generously). Add garlic cloves. Do this till translucent. Lower heat.
2. Throughout the recipe you will add about a cup to 2 cups of water (or more, depending on how much you make) but very gradually. Basically you only want to add a bit of water when the mix starts to stick too much to the pan.
3. Add spices to taste. Add chickpeas.
4. Continue to add water so that you gradually make a thickened (but still watery) sauce.
5. Eventually add filets. Put away your mixing spoon - do not use to mix or you WILL break the filets. Cover and let simmer till tender.

CAUTION: You will eat a lot of bread with this delicious fish and its yummy sauce!

ozeret

Post Mon, Aug 18 2008, 8:10 am
About how long does the fish need to cook for?

TheBeinoni

Post Mon, Aug 18 2008, 9:45 am
Well, once you put the filets in they don't take too long. I would say maybe about 30 mins? I am so terrible with measurements and times! I just check it periodically till the filets turn white and plump.

greenfire

Post Mon, Aug 18 2008, 9:51 am
I once had a delicious salmon made morrocan style ... my mouth is still watering for some ...

TheBeinoni

Post Mon, Aug 18 2008, 10:11 am
Yummm! I love salmon! But DH isn't quite a fan...

greenfire

Post Mon, Aug 18 2008, 10:22 am
well just give me the recipe ... and then I'll go away ... Twisted Evil

ozeret

Post Mon, Aug 18 2008, 11:32 am
Can you make this recipe with salmon?

TheBeinoni

Post Mon, Aug 18 2008, 1:29 pm
Rolling Laughter who said I want you to go away?! haha I never made moroccan salmon before.. I would say that you can play around with this recipe and the other one I have posted, and figure out what you think goes well with salmon.

honestly I dont know how the flavor would go with salmon... what do you think? it could work possibly.. I personally think that salmon goes better with sweet and savory rather than these types of spices.

tovasmom

Post Mon, Aug 18 2008, 1:40 pm
Not to hijack your thread, hotmama, but funny story. One erev shabbat, I had made a regular marinated salmon, ashkenazi style, with onions, vinegar, pickling spice. I had finished cooking it, and put it in a flat container in my downstairs fridge. That week I was also making my sister's hot israeli hatzilim salad recipe -- tomatoes, garlic, lots of cumin, pepper flakes, cayenne pepper, onion, together with the eggplant. This salad has to simmer for HOURS on the stove and I asked my babysitter (Russian Jew) to stir it occasionally and at the appointed time to put it in another flat container which I had left on the kitchen counter and to put it away in the downstairs fridge when it had cooled since I had to leave to pick up one of the kids or run some sort of errand. That Friday night, I asked my dd to go get the fish from the downstairs fridge so I could serve it. DD went downstairs to the fridge and came back up and said, Imma, there is no fish downstairs, just the hatzilim salad. I was beside myself, I checked my other fridge, no fish. I brought up the hatzilim salad to serve and I discovered, to my horror that the babysitter had put the hatzilim salad in the same container with the fish, over the fish! I was livid and I was in tears! My dh took some, because he saw how upset I was and didn't want to hurt my feelings and made some comment about it being "not so bad" but believe me, I ended up throwing at least $30 worth of fish in the trash! Now I can laugh about it. Then it was not so funny. So, in my experience, no, those spices do NOT go with salmon!

TheBeinoni

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 3:41 pm
Rolling Laughter
HAHAHAHHAHAHA (no really, that genuine laughter, TM, not just to make you feel good)

that is a funny/annoying story. I would also flip - fish is SO expensive! and thank you for proving from experience that salmon does not go with those flavors..

yea ppl, don't try this recipe with salmon! Very Happy

tovasmom

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 3:43 pm
Thanks for humoring me, hotmama Very Happy
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics