Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Denim
Previous  1  2  3  Next

ny_ima

Post Mon, Aug 18 2008, 3:23 pm
Mrs xyz, not saying u in particular r judgemental or not...
I assume that if one who chooses not to wear jeanskirts, she automatically thinks she's more tzniyusly dressed than someone wearing denim, since that is the reason she is making this choice.

Kmommy18

Post Mon, Aug 18 2008, 3:26 pm
greenfire wrote:
hey some girls just wanna roll out of bed and throw on the jeans - at least it's a skirt ... and we are not packing anything last I checked ...

Lol Greenie, you said exactly what I was thinking! And Beauty, if we start banning anything that might possibly look like something a man would wear, all girls would have to stop wearing button down blouses now wouldn't they? In fact, my husband owns a shirt that is the exact same shirt as Bnos Yisrael (girls school)'s uniform shirt.

Lady Godiva

Post Mon, Aug 18 2008, 4:56 pm
Quote:

Some feel that there it is a bit prost or modern.

"Prost" is that a word for harlot because that's pretty strong language for a jeans skirt...

Kmommy18

Post Mon, Aug 18 2008, 5:04 pm
I'm pretty sure "prost" is a yiddish word that means disgusting/vulgur or something like that...
I do agree that wearing a denim skirt does not really warrant such strong language...

greenfire

Post Mon, Aug 18 2008, 5:05 pm
Kmommy18 wrote:

Lol Greenie ... In fact, my husband owns a shirt that is the exact same shirt as Bnos Yisrael (girls school)'s uniform shirt.

Wink
the girls and boys shirts should button from the opposite sides ... that is how you would know the difference even if it's from the same company ...
girls right over left
boys left over right

Mrs. XYZ

Post Mon, Aug 18 2008, 5:13 pm
ny_ima wrote:
I assume that if one who chooses not to wear jeanskirts, she automatically thinks she's more tzniyusly dressed than someone wearing denim, since that is the reason she is making this choice.

Yes, obviously if I dont wear denim its because I feel that its maybe not so tnzius. But what does that have to do with you or anyone else who does wear??

Kmommy18

Post Mon, Aug 18 2008, 5:16 pm
greenfire wrote:
Kmommy18 wrote:

Lol Greenie ... In fact, my husband owns a shirt that is the exact same shirt as Bnos Yisrael (girls school)'s uniform shirt.

Wink
the girls and boys shirts should button from the opposite sides ... that is how you would know the difference even if it's from the same company ...
girls right over left
boys left over right

I wonder if the closing button on fly denim skirts close from the opposite side as well? Would that make them "kosher" Wink ?

Maya

Post Mon, Aug 18 2008, 5:19 pm
greenfire wrote:
Kmommy18 wrote:

Wink
girls right over left
boys left over right

Actually, many Chassidishe men wear shirts that are right over left, buttoned the girls way. Smile

TheBeinoni

Post Mon, Aug 18 2008, 5:20 pm
I think the beauty about tzniut is that there is NO end. No matter what level you get to, there is always another level with more sensitivities one can take on. (of course, there probably is an "end" otherwise we'd see more burka wearers Tongue Out)

Of course, people should not judge others, but that goes with anything. I don't think Mrs. XYZ is judging - she said that "some ppl feel".EDIT [ Maybe some ppl feel this way FOR THEMSELVES, but know that they are chumras they have taken on. On the flip side is not our job to judge others about them judging us! Wink

Either way, all bnot yisrael can always improve, myself included! I wear jean skirts with front zippers!

Kmommy has a good point - anyone know about the zipper thing? It is really a smart question!

About the button down shirts, I don't check them.... embarrassed

Last edited by TheBeinoni on Mon, Aug 18 2008, 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

Kmommy18

Post Mon, Aug 18 2008, 5:20 pm
Maya wrote:
greenfire wrote:
Kmommy18 wrote:

Wink
girls right over left
boys left over right

Actually, many Chassidishe men wear shirts that are right over left, buttoned the girls way. Smile

shock a shanda!

Maya

Post Mon, Aug 18 2008, 5:26 pm
It's supposed to be the Chassidishe way.

greenfire

Post Mon, Aug 18 2008, 6:11 pm
so do they have them made special or are they beged isha ... what about their pants ...

and yes the flies of a skirt go the female way right over left - as well ...

Lady Godiva

Post Mon, Aug 18 2008, 10:13 pm
greenfire wrote:

and yes the flies of a skirt go the female way right over left - as well ...

Nope. I'm wearing a short jeans skirt now. Fly front. The fly is left over right... shock

greenfire

Post Mon, Aug 18 2008, 10:31 pm
hm ... I just checked mine are right over left ...

Kmommy18

Post Mon, Aug 18 2008, 10:35 pm
Hmm now I'm going to have to go look for one of my front fly denim skirts to see which way it goes... (I have 3 btw and am NOT ashamed to admit it)...

TheBeinoni

Post Mon, Aug 18 2008, 10:38 pm
I just checked mine - They are ALL left over right. Most of them from EY some from the States.

Kmommy18

Post Mon, Aug 18 2008, 10:39 pm
Ok 2 of them close left over right, and the third one is in the laundry so I didn't check... Maybe it depends if it's a Jewish company or not? LOL

greenfire

Post Mon, Aug 18 2008, 10:43 pm
just found 1 that is left over right ... I guess some companies don't know about the female direction ... maybe it depends on the country or something ...

TheBeinoni

Post Mon, Aug 18 2008, 11:54 pm
My skirts that zipper are all from EY and bought within recent years. It was my understanding that now in EY chareidi/dati (some) women do NOT wear the front zipper. Would have to be in the back .

mumoo

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 12:25 am
ny_ima wrote:

not saying 'you' in particular, but saying you collectively, what's the difference?

Quote:
I already see some circles trying to make all this craziness the norm

is this also non-judgemental?

to OP: in our community, denim is considered a rough, rugged and therefore unrefined fabric. It is likened to a casual, "Bohemian" lifestyle therefore unsuitable for an eidel bas Yisroel. Even in secular society, denim is rarely seen where professionalism is valued.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics