Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Average Annual Household Income
1  2  Next

amother

Post Mon, Aug 18 2008, 8:30 pm
I Didnt know if I should put it under Shalom Bayis or Finance in the end decided to put it here. Help me prove my husband something about finances.
We disagree on what the annual household income is. I know it varies greatly so if possible can you let me know what your annual household is. (Please keep it imamother I am really not being nosey here I just want to hear from other people without disclosing who you are.) Also if possible to write if you had a college education and if self employed.

amother

Post Mon, Aug 18 2008, 8:34 pm
family of 8
4yr degree
happy but poor

amother

Post Mon, Aug 18 2008, 8:37 pm
Family of 3 - 2 adults, 1 baby
a bit over $100K a year
we're both still in college, but dh is working already b"h

anon

Post Mon, Aug 18 2008, 8:43 pm
Location makes a HUGE difference in this equation. Hearing numbers means nothing unless you know location. 50k in New York is something entirely different than 50k in Cleveland.

Marion

Post Mon, Aug 18 2008, 10:46 pm
Including benefits, or not?

amother

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 4:39 am
About $300k
family of 6
both have graduate degrees
About $125k come from self-employment and about $175k from a job (one of us is self-employed and the other works for an employer)

cassandra

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 4:43 am
The average income of whom? Imamother members?

greenfire

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 5:40 am
anon wrote:
Location makes a HUGE difference in this equation. Hearing numbers means nothing unless you know location. 50k in New York is something entirely different than 50k in Cleveland.

why u pickin on me ... the only thing really cheaper is housing ...

amother

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 10:20 am
Roughly $115K - outside of the greater NY area
2 adults, 2 children
One self-employed, one employed elsewhere - with benefits
Still not making ends meet Sad

Strudel

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 12:47 pm
Greenfire I have to agree with you. People seem to think that living outside of the NY area is way cheaper. I so wish it were true. Rents here in Chicago are similar to NY ones, plus food is more expensive.

tovarena

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 1:01 pm
midwest wrote:
Greenfire I have to agree with you. People seem to think that living outside of the NY area is way cheaper. I so wish it were true. Rents here in Chicago are similar to NY ones, plus food is more expensive.

Ditto for Florida - and pay scales are not as high.

amother

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 4:00 pm
NY area/upstate in a very upscale (non-Orthodox community b/c it's where we work - so our expenses are through the roof!). DH just finished his masters and smicha. I have a bachelors.
I work part time for the shul. DH works part time for the shul. This past year his dad helped a bit while he was finishing school. So this past year we made 60K (after taxes), this coming year DH (B"H) has a full time job on top of our two part time ones so hopefully we will be making closer to 80+K and maybe we can pay off some credit card!

BTW two little kids. Plus a ton of guests who come in and out all the time (really adds to the food, electric, laundry etc.)

greenfire

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 9:04 pm
oh yeah kosher food is cheaper in new york ...

anon

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 9:52 pm
greenfire wrote:
anon wrote:

lol, I actually did think of you when I wrote cleveland. I think I remember you trying to convince imamothers to move to cleveland cuz it's much cheaper. And cheap housing makes a huge difference. The two biggest expenses we generally have are our mortgage and tuition. Cheap housing helps the mortgage, and am I wrong to guess that tuition is cheaper than in NY/NJ?

amother

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 11:21 pm
With benefits, we NET about $40K. Our GROSS is about $50K. We're in Israel though, with 2 small (daycare aged) children.

Chani

Post Wed, Aug 20 2008, 4:56 am
Quote:
and am I wrong to guess that tuition is cheaper than in NY/NJ?

I think that it depends on the school - both in Cleveland and NY. Where my kids go, for the oldest in 6th grade tuition is about 8-9K (don't have the bill right in front of me). There are two other schools here - one is a bit more expensive, and the other a bit less.

amother

Post Wed, Aug 20 2008, 6:00 am
greenfire wrote:
anon wrote:

My child's school in New York will cost about $35,000 this year.

amother

Post Thu, Aug 21 2008, 7:19 pm
total income= $140,000

neither self employed. I am in the middle of completing a graduate degree, dh has no degrees. neither of us are self employed.

amother

Post Thu, Aug 21 2008, 8:08 pm
Our household income is approx 43K.

Family of 5 (2 adults and 3 children)

Both of us are college-educated (B.A. degrees), but only my dh is working. After childcare for 3 little ones, working probably would make a difference anyway.

amother

Post Fri, Aug 22 2008, 4:57 am
We make about $115K between DH & my fulltimes jobs plus DH does some freelancing on the side. This is for us and one child in NY. We are making ends meet but have no "extra" to put in savings which is frustrating because we have no family who can help us so at this rate we'll never be able to afford a house especially because once I have the baby I am expecting now I plan to take some time off or at least go part time.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics